Just got back from Atlanta - thoughts on game

Chris91

Redshirt Freshman
Ran into a bunch of Miami fans throughout Atlanta and especially at the Varsity. The varsity is way over-rated.

Miami was well represented in the stadium and fired up before the game. I sat near some really nice fans with small kids. It was nice not to hear the flurry of foul language that I normally hear.

The players taking a knee and praying in front of the Miami section was a nice touch.

The Interception and fumbles were disappointing, but no where near as disappointing as our defense. When you know they are going to run the ball on third and short - why the he'll are we still in cover 2!?

The o shows a lot of promise and Brad is making the mistakes I would expect a True frosh to make. In time he will be something special.

On the drive south back home we stopped at BassPro and Gander Mountain. Again we ran into a bunch of Miami fans. All where good people and questioned how long Golden and coach D would be around.

Advertisement
i remember driving home from Lville last december and ran into a dude at 1 am at a rest stop on turnpike and he asked me what i thought bout the game. i told him golden better be fired after this ****. he goes no u can't say that the cloud and all. I hope i run into him again.

i remember driving home from Lville last december and ran into a dude at 1 am at a rest stop on turnpike and he asked me what i thought bout the game. i told him golden better be fired after this ****. he goes no u can't say that the cloud and all. I hope i run into him again.

That was Golden you ran into. Your eyes were groggy

I'm from Georgia...it's a lot of Miami fans that live in metro atlanta.....

I'm from Georgia...it's a lot of Miami fans that live in metro atlanta.....
Yep...Gwinnett County has a lot of Cane fans...we are ALL ****ed too. up till 3 AM drinking and dissecting this cluster **** that is our coaching staff. The consensus was that as long as AG is the head man at miami we aint never going to win **** despite our talent.

Advertisement
Flew back to $ucknut land this morning. I ran into a lot of Miami alums/fans at the CFB Hall of Fame which just opened in Atlanta (was in Domerville, Indiana previously). Nice place, if a little sparse and geared to the $EC and Li'l 10 crowd (a movie featuring the "on-field" experience didn't show the 'Canes out of the smoke, big oversight) but it had an area to run practice drills. Fun watching my son kick it through the uprights from the farthest distance (Pro 'Cane Bosher was the all-world "leg" when he was in school; no use even trying to walk on). Went to the parking garage tailgate pre-game (did the Varsity last time) and then left early enough to watch warm-ups.

Thoughts:

I like to watch the warm-ups to get a sense of the team "on the ground." Seen debate on CIS on whether Golden has "lost" the team and even if players can be "lost." I was a small school prep player from way back in the day and I always wanted my coach to see me ready to go before the game. Last night, Al walked through the stretching lines and a lot of the players ignored him until they had to acknowledge him when he stood in front of them...Bad Omen.

You can do better game analysis watching from home due to replay, but a truer emotion picture comes at the game, along with catching the warts ESPiN misses:

- Defense was confused on so many plays because they kept waiting for the play call to come down from @$$hole in the press box. Constant looks at the sideline and each other. No sense of unity in purpose, Perryman using the Umpire as his defacto position mark, the DBs losing interest and a total passive, WATCHING the play feel...Disgusting.

- Offense. I can't stand that rhythm-busting "check with me" crap. It takes the pace right out of the offense. Additionally, you could see the GT DBs waiting for Kaaya to look away and then reposition themselves when he turned back. A young QB needs less distractions, not more.

- Kaaya: Neg away, still have an uneasy feeling on him. A bit of c0ckiness about him, which is part good and part bad. He joked on the sideline some (again, not all bad), but I thought his concentration was a bit lacking. Put into a tough situation having so little time, thanks to Onfrio's criminal negligiance, he performed well in spots, poor in other. The next Testeverde...or the next Kyle Wright. Duke was Duke, but ball security is a concern when he gets tackled.

Finally, Golden; he was much more composed in 2011 against O$Uck then everytime I have seen him since. He paces and paces, tries to interject while position coaches are talking in time out huddles, seems to be constantly complaining to staff refs for an inordinate amount of time and generally looks anxious on the sideline. He reminds me of a career rear echelon staff officer who looks good in exercises but falls to pieces when the actual shooting starts. Trouble is, this is year FOUR for Golden at this level and he isn't wising up, he is regressing badly. After the performance against Louisville, I lost any patience I had left with this Yugo salesman. Last night just poured salt in that wound, along with giving me about twenty more of them, then hooking my balls to a car battery.

Last edited:
The game speaks for itself. Very trying. As I mentioned in another thread, I talked to three people that all made it seem like it was an abomination to watch on TV.

Some fans frustrate me when their energy level at the game is between coma and death. Got ****ed off early when I saw a fan complaining to security a few times in a very short period of time about Miami fans standing in different places -- some of which had zero to do with her, none of them were being obnoxious. Luckily I ended up sitting in front of her and she was busy discussing knitting and pinochle.

That being said, almost everyone I met out about town was solid.

The game speaks for itself. Very trying. As I mentioned in another thread, I talked to three people that all made it seem like it was an abomination to watch on TV.

Some fans frustrate me when their energy level at the game is between coma and death. Got ****ed off early when I saw a fan complaining to security a few times in a very short period of time about Miami fans standing in different places -- some of which had zero to do with her, none of them were being obnoxious. Luckily I ended up sitting in front of her and she was busy discussing knitting and pinochle.

Pinochle? Are you serious?

I had a GT lady in front of my group who looked like she has been in the stands since Bobby Dodd was playing and the rambling wreck was on the showroom floor. She was better using a smartphone than me, though.

Advertisement

I asked myself the same question. "Did she say pinochle, she can't be serious" --- I hadnt heard reference to pinochle in a long time. Kept me thinking a few times. Got mad initially. Then when I was watching the end of USC later, I laughed, "Pinochle, ******* pinochle, team getting beat up and we are talking about pinochle."

Your analysis of Golden on the sideline is spot on. We have noticed this also at games & when watching on TV. He seems anxious & frustrated with position coaches & is constantly talking to refs acting agitated etc. He probably misses Barrow on the sideline (whatever) but in the end nothing is working. His comments after the game were strange too. He may be at the place where he wants out as the media is now starting to hone in on the whole thing.

Flew back to $ucknut land this morning. I ran into a lot of Miami alums/fans at the CFB Hall of Fame which just opened in Atlanta (was in Domerville, Indiana previously). Nice place, if a little sparse and geared to the $EC and Li'l 10 crowd (a movie featuring the "on-field" experience didn't show the 'Canes out of the smoke, big oversight) but it had an area to run practice drills. Fun watching my son kick it through the uprights from the farthest distance (Pro 'Cane Bosher was the all-world "leg" when he was in school; no use even trying to walk on). Went to the parking garage tailgate pre-game (did the Varsity last time) and then left early enough to watch warm-ups.

Thoughts:

I like to watch the warm-ups to get a sense of the team "on the ground." Seen debate on CIS on whether Golden has "lost" the team and even if players can be "lost." I was a small school prep player from way back in the day and I always wanted my coach to see me ready to go before the game. Last night, Al walked through the stretching lines and a lot of the players ignored him until they had to acknowledge him when he stood in front of them...Bad Omen.

You can do better game analysis watching from home due to replay, but a truer emotion picture comes at the game, along with catching the warts ESPiN misses:

- Defense was confused on so many plays because they kept waiting for the play call to come down from @$$hole in the press box. Constant looks at the sideline and each other. No sense of unity in purpose, Perryman using the Umpire as his defacto position mark, the DBs losing interest and a total passive, WATCHING the play feel...Disgusting.

- Offense. I can't stand that rhythm-busting "check with me" crap. It takes the pace right out of the offense. Additionally, you could see the GT DBs waiting for Kaaya to look away and then reposition themselves when he turned back. A young QB needs less distractions, not more.

- Kaaya: Neg away, still have an uneasy feeling on him. A bit of c0ckiness about him, which is part good and part bad. He joked on the sideline some (again, not all bad), but I thought his concentration was a bit lacking. Put into a tough situation having so little time, thanks to Onfrio's criminal negligiance, he performed well in spots, poor in other. The next Testeverde...or the next Kyle Wright. Duke was Duke, but ball security is a concern when he gets tackled.

Finally, Golden; he was much more composed in 2011 against O$Uck then everytime I have seen him since. He paces and paces, tries to interject while position coaches are talking in time out huddles, seems to be constantly complaining to staff refs for an inordinate amount of time and generally looks anxious on the sideline. He reminds me of a career rear echelon staff officer who looks good in exercises but falls to pieces when the actual shooting starts. Trouble is, this is year FOUR for Golden at this level and he isn't wising up, he is regressing badly. After the performance against Louisville, I lost any patience I had left with this Yugo salesman. Last night just poured salt in that wound, along with giving me about twenty more of them, then hooking my balls to a car battery.

Maybe he's wanted out since he signed on with Miami and then discovered the Shapiro mess. He had no choice but to do the best in his situation, but since his fantasy-dream of being hired by PSU blew up, he is frustrated and has no sense of purpose. Maybe he really does just want out. I hear Troy's head coach is retiring after this season. Good spot for him.

Advertisement
Thoughts:

Last night, Al walked through the stretching lines and a lot of the players ignored him until they had to acknowledge him when he stood in front of them...Bad Omen.

He reminds me of a career rear echelon staff officer who looks good in exercises but falls to pieces when the actual shooting starts.

Last night just poured salt in that wound, along with giving me about twenty more of them, then hooking my balls to a car battery.

Well said sum-up of my impression of him too, plus how I feel about the state of the program. Agonizing.

Advertisement
Back