Just an Observation

The new coach will have time. There will always be a fraction of the fan base calling for a coaches head after the first L but let’s not act like this team is void of talent. We have a young, explosive offense and quite a few blue chippers to build around on D. New coach will go portal heavy ala Mel Tucker. Any competent coach is winning here.
HAHAAHAHA TIME HAAHAHAHA YEA RIGHT. NEW COACH TAKES TOO SMALL OF A CRAP AND FOLKS WILL WANT HIM FIRED

Advertisement
Just to correct you a bit, I didn't move the goal posts at all. I wasn't expecting them to win 10 games in my initial post. I was pointing out that most on this board are looking at a minimum level of 10 wins as a successful season (I should have been clearer in my initial post).

Also, this is a bad/avg team as you state, however, I think that has more to do with not playing up to expectations due to bad coaching and lack of discipline. Just going off of recruiting rankings and how well they have done in the transfer portal, this should be a top 25 team.

Which brings me to a question, if you think talent-wise they are a bad/avg team, do you think Manny should be brought back as he is basically performing as well as can be expected?
Honestly you raise a good question and I will admit that I don't have the answer. I don't know why our high 3* and 4* look about the same as the other teams mid 3* on the field, but I do think HS rankings alone are a imperfect way to measure likelihood of success. The thing about getting three 4* is that you hope that at least one will be a good player not that all 3 will be contributors.

As for Manny Diaz, he is not performing as he should, he's is not a P5 level HC, he is awful on game day, Miami commits the same mistakes week after week, he's slow to make changes on personnel and fell for the style no substance trap since day one at the job. I've never been a huge fan of his, the OB game against Winsc raised a flag about his defense and I was done with it after the pinstripe bowl.

I will admit, part of me was hoping against hope he could win out, get to the ACCCG and show improvement as a coach, but after saturday I'm done, he is who he is. The reason I was still willing to give him the rest of the season to prove me wrong is that the names I believe we will look at don't inspire me. But most of all I'm done with him as HC because of the recruiting, after watching UGA this year I want the guy that can achieve top 5 classes every season, obviously we will start around 8-12 but I want the upside for top 5.

Some of the mistakes seems to be more players driven than coaching driven. Wiggins and Pope were coached by the same guys that coach Smith, Rambo and Restrepo. We had a bunch of offsides penalties saturday, how can you not line up correctly? See the ball and then get in position. The tackling problem is bizarre and has been plaguing this defense for a couple of seasons, this year is just much worse, so I think it's 50/50. But when you see the scheme putting a player in position and the player completely whiffing that gotta be on the players too, they need to put in the work if they want to be great.

Other problems are completely on coach/scheme. Diaz' defense never setting an edge is on him, the LB/CB/DE recruiting is on him, LB rotation is on him, we never touching a WR on the LOS is on coaching too.

Accountability coaches is what we missing gotta start benching players for making mistakes in game just a play or two.

The new head coach will have to be a guy with a huge amount of self-confidence. There will be no honeymoon period. He'll be expected to win at least 10 games, win the Coastal, and compete for the ACC title in his first year. It could perhaps have the highest expectations right off the bat since the JJ and Erickson hires. At least those teams were coming off national championships. This one will be lucky to get to 7 wins.

Yes, there is plenty of $$ to make dealing with high expectations more palatable. It will just be interesting to see what this board will look like a year from now if the Canes don't win 10 games and are paying a coach over $5 million a year.
10 games in year 1? No but an 8 Game winning season will be expected. Just don't **** the bed and beat the teams you are supposed to and the fan base won't turn on you.

Advertisement
It really just depends on who it is...

If it’s a bombastic rah rah type of guy the fans will give him all the time in the world because our fans are desperate for a loud coach who is demonstrative on the sideline & yells at the players. So, if it’s a guy who just acts like a mad man & speaks with intensity our fans will get hot & bothered over his press conferences & always make excuses for him if he doesn’t win within the first 3-4 years lol.

If it’s a guy who isn’t a splash name hire & someone that the fans don’t like, then yeah he’ll definitely be on a very short leash & will be under the heat of the fans if we don’t have an immediate a turn around.

Which is a very interesting dichotomy because for the coaches that most fans want, the actual style of play they’re going to bring is the exact opposite of an immediate turn around win now type of system. Essentially, people are clamoring for slow rebuild coaches while simultaneously expecting immediate win now results...

I’m looking forward to seeing how it works out though.

The new head coach will have to be a guy with a huge amount of self-confidence. There will be no honeymoon period. He'll be expected to win at least 10 games, win the Coastal, and compete for the ACC title in his first year. It could perhaps have the highest expectations right off the bat since the JJ and Erickson hires. At least those teams were coming off national championships. This one will be lucky to get to 7 wins.

Yes, there is plenty of $$ to make dealing with high expectations more palatable. It will just be interesting to see what this board will look like a year from now if the Canes don't win 10 games and are paying a coach over $5 million a year.
Manny Diaz is likely to win 7 games this year and he's a complete moron. As long as the incoming coach is anywhere near competent, winning 9 games should be child's play. Keep in mind, he will have a potential Heisman contender at QB, a solid and relatively deep tailback stable and a lot of youngsters that got to play a ton this year. Look at how many of these games have been close, despite the 'Canes being handicapped by their coaching staff. Get a decent staff in here and things will look significantly better almost immediately. No one is asking for a CFP appearance in year one, but a solid 9-3/10-2 season shouldn't be too tough of an ask.

Advertisement
Our defense is garbage, and a new coach is going to win the Coastal? I saw Urban Meyer go undefeated taking over a 6-6 team, but not outside of that.

None of our post-Butch coaches have done anything significant since leaving. We obviously have not hired quality coaches. As stated by others, priority one is hiring a new AD with some success hiring coaches. Sam Jankovich is one of the most important Canes of all time.

Advertisement
You are trolling right? You have read this board over the years correct? The majority of this board feels 10 wins and a Coastal title was the baseline for Manny this year. Why do you think it would be less for whoever the new coach will be? One could argue next year's team should even be better with all of the experience the young guys are getting this year and the emergence of TVD.

Also, 10 wins in the ACC would not make Miami dominant. I think most people will expect a loss to Texas A&M next year. Personally, as long as the new guy wins at least 8 games and the team improves throughout the season, I would be happy. The new guy will need to instill discipline in this group and install new offenses and defenses, all of which will take time. Similar to the way Richt had the team playing in 2016.
Exactly. People confuse “dominant in ACC coastal” for “dominant”. And yes, the next coach should be dominant in the ACC coastal.

The new coach will have time. There will always be a fraction of the fan base calling for a coaches head after the first L but let’s not act like this team is void of talent. We have a young, explosive offense and quite a few blue chippers to build around on D. New coach will go portal heavy ala Mel Tucker. Any competent coach is winning here.
Then they aren’t getting a lot of time.

Who would interview and not say that. Really?
I mean some coach may have some "5 year plan" to win the ACC. I have no idea what these guys say in their interviews. But I wouldn't hire a coach that doesn't believe winning the ACC coastal and competing for ACC championships should be an annual thing.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back