Off-Topic Juneteenth

JG13

Hikes & Haros
Gents, are your employers observing Juneteenth as a federal holiday this coming Monday? Here in the vicinity of Raleigh, NC 75% of the people I have asked are not or didn't know it was a federal holiday. Banks will be closed of course. I co-own a small business and am curious.

Advertisement
Yes. Great thing is that starting 2021 they gave us an additional floating holiday to be used for Juneteenth (or whatever other day) then just went ahead and added Juneteenth to the list and we kept the extra floater. Progressive company guilt pays off finally!

The usual things are closed (schools, post offices, etc). But most companies... like mine... only give days off for New Years, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The other businesses beside mine are all open (french bakery, nail salon, hair salon, tapas restaurant, veterinarian). IBM and several real estate firms are open. Duke University (wifey works there) is closed.

The usual things are closed (schools, post offices, etc). But most companies... like mine... only give days off for New Years, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
This. I'm sure most reasonable companies would let you have the day off upon request but they're not going to PTO it.

Advertisement
Ill be off. Ill also be celebrating Juneteenth by spending some of my money in local black owned businesses.

Advertisement
National holiday, no?

This is how I imagine most small businesses view holidays.

Tier 1 holidays (we're only giving you this off because the government made us)
Christmas (at this point the religious aspect takes backseat)
New Years Eve
July 4th
Labor Day
Memorial Day
Thanksgiving

Tier 2 holidays (you can pick 2, unless you're a black ****** veteran lol)
Veterans Day
Hanukkah
Ramadan
Good Friday
MLK Day
Juneteenth
Birthday

TIer 3 holidays (oh **** off)
Columbus Day
Presidents Day
Valentines Day
Fathers Day/Mothers Day (always a sunday anyway)
St. Patricks Day
Halloween

Advertisement

New Years Eve
July 4th
Labor Day
Memorial Day
Thanksgiving

Veterans Day
Hanukkah
Ramadan
Good Friday
MLK Day
Juneteenth
Birthday

Columbus Day
Presidents Day
Valentines Day
St. Patricks Day
Halloween

Isn't it interesting that the more skills one has, the more days off they could have? Lol man lands on moon. I like your tiered system. There are quite a few to choose from, and they should all involve good times with family and friends!!

Gents, are your employers observing Juneteenth as a federal holiday this coming Monday? Here in the vicinity of Raleigh, NC 75% of the people I have asked are not or didn't know it was a federal holiday. Banks will be closed of course. I co-own a small business and am curious.
What industry?

New Years Eve
July 4th
Labor Day
Memorial Day
Thanksgiving

Veterans Day
Hanukkah
Ramadan
Good Friday
MLK Day
Juneteenth
Birthday

Columbus Day
Presidents Day
Valentines Day
St. Patricks Day
Halloween
This may be true... but as far as the post office and schools and I believe federal/government ... these are the holidays they recognize and are closed:

New Years Day
MLK (observed)
President's Day (observed)
Juneteenth (as of this year... observed i believe?)
July 4th (if on Sunday I believe they observe it on Monday)
Labor Day
Memorial Day (observed)
Columbus Day (they call it Indigenous People's Day in my town... lol)
Veterans Day (if on Sunday I believe they observe it on Monday)
Thanksgiving
Christmas

I think that's all the federal ones, but may have missed one

Advertisement
I'm going forward with it in my organization, like we do with all Federal Holidays.

Isn't it interesting that the more skills one has, the more days off they could have? Lol man lands on moon. I like your tiered system. There are quite a few to choose from, and they should all involve good times with family and friends!!
Except in the hospital industry. They usually only give the top 6 since they're 24/7 operations.

Never have had it off. Never have had veterans day or MLK off, for that matter, either.

Advertisement
Back