June 8th Al Golden Camp Full Report

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
**After not making last weekend's camp, Miami QB commit Alin Edouard participated today and looked very good. His release is extremely smooth and he throws a beautiful spiral. There's no doubt in my mind he's Miami-caliber and in my opinion, he actually looked better than Malik Rosier from last week. He was working with James Coley a lot, as well as his offensive coordinator from Hialeah, Dennis Marroquin.

**2015 Central safety Calvin Brewton was in attendance and continues to mature physically and grow into his body. He had a great sophomore season at Columbus and should continue to progress at Central this year. Paul Williams was using Brewton as an example for most drills.

**Georgia LB Juwon Young is a flat out stud. He's built like a truck and looks physically ready to play right now. He was incredible in defensive line work and showed explosiveness in coverage drills as well. If his grades are right, he would be a huge pickup for the linebacker class.

**Miami Northwestern LB Mike Smith was out at camp, but it wasn't his best day. In defensive line work, he was doing what he always does, which is beat the offensive lineman. The concern with him was his coverage ability, where he looked lost at times. He is very new to the position and is still picking up the technique. Coach D'Onofrio pulled him aside later in the day and was working with him.

**Deerfield Beach ATH Brandon Powell was putting on a clinic in one-on-ones. None of the DBs could cover him and his cuts are vicious. Looks like a Miami-caliber slot guy and would be dangerous as a supplement to the other weapons the offense has added over the past few years.

**Travonte Valentine was at camp for the second week in a row, but was actually participating this time. It was a treat to watch him dominate against solid offensive line talent. There is no doubt that this is a kid who can change the game. At one point, Golden, Barrow, Jethro, Kehoe, and D'Onofrio were all watching him.

**Georgia DL Justin Jones is here this weekend and was watching camp. That is a grown man right there. About 6'3", 280-pounds. Hopefully he participates tomorrow because I want to see what he has.

**Miami Northwestern DC Luther Campbell was at camp and interacted with the coaches very well. Seem to be no ill-effects from a few months back where Campbell voiced his opinion on the coaching staff.

**Stay tuned for more camp coverage and interviews later tonight.

Advertisement
Weird that the big 3 aren't really after Powell. Would love for the staff to get after him.

I knew Powell would ball out the kid is a flat out playmaker
Valentine is the best DT in Florida and one of the top DT's in the country I hope he gets his act together

Advertisement
Brewton was really showcasing his skills today. He is going to be a big time prospect

Thanks Pete, appreciate it.

I wonder if we are still the team to beat for Young. I hope so. From the breakdown you gave he sounds like he will be a **** of an LB.

Advertisement
**Miami Northwestern LB Mike Smith was out at camp, but it wasn't his best day. In defensive line work, he was doing what he always does, which is beat the offensive lineman. The concern with him was his coverage ability, where he looked lost at times. He is very new to the position and is still picking up the technique. Coach D'Onofrio pulled him aside later in the day and was working with him.

This doesnt worry me one bit. Smith looks like really good athlete. He's may be raw with coverage but, athletically, he should be able to pick it up once he's on a college campus. I like that D'Onofrio took the time to really help him. Recruiting is all about relationships.

when he comes in, he will be able to redshirt. we didnt have that luxary in recent years.

The big 3 have taken a wait and see approach with Powell because he was undersized an transfered to 3 high schools, but he kept a 3.4 gpa which some question that will most likely be flagged by the ncaa clearing house. Also there is that issue where he grew up rooting for FSU.

So lets see how this plays out, I would like to add him to the class somehow.

Go Canes

Powell Audio interview with S. Fla. Sports
http://sfhighschoolsports.com/blog/audio/audio-brandon-powell-deerfield-beach-rb

Powell's profile on S. Fla Sports
http://sfhighschoolsports.com/huddle-brandon-powell-deerfield-beach

Last edited:
**Deerfield Beach ATH Brandon Powell was putting on a clinic in one-on-ones. None of the DBs could cover him and his cuts are vicious. Looks like a Miami-caliber slot guy and would be dangerous as a supplement to the other weapons the offense has added over the past few years.

This is the kid I really want

Advertisement
OL MVP A'lique Terry and QB MVP Alin Edouard at Camp today

13.jpg:large

Advertisement
Wow A'lique Terry looks a little on the small side to be an oline, I am thinkinghe was one of the olinemen Valentine was abusing today. Alin looks the part and almost bigger then I thought he would compared to his other photo's. Utough will work wonders on the young man.

He doesn't look happy for an MVP winner.

Go Canes

Cocoa ATH CJ Gardner got offered. Kid is a 2016 prospect but plays like he is a senior with ton's of enthusiasm

This is the kid I really want

Me too. Love the kid's tape. Even if his position is still up in the air I hope we take him and figure it out later. Just get him on the team.

Advertisement
Back