Julian Whigham, WR/DB, Dwyer HS (FL)

Larry

All-American
A little bit of old news, but didn't see it posted here. Coach Williams gave this kid a visit a few weeks back.

Current Syracuse commitment and had a good senior season at Dwyer. 6'0" 175

Scout.com Profile ***
Rivals Profile ***
ESPN Profile ***

ESPN Scouting Report

Whigham excels in roaming the defensive backfield in a free safety role with good overall length and range. Is very lean but has the frame to add size and bulk over time in college to improve his run support skills in the box. Displays good speed but is more straight-lined. Will need to improve his diagnosing skills but once he locates the ball he flashes good closing burst driving on the ball. Operates as a deep safety, making calls and adjustments showing good instincts and awareness. Demonstrates the ability to play ball to man. In zone coverage, can get depth and get over the top of routes, separating the ball from receiver. Closes cushion quickly when ball is in the air but shows some rigidness at the top of his backpedal at times, not transitioning fluidly on a consistent basis. Projects best to zone scheme defenses where he can utilize his plant and drive skill-set breaking on the pass in front of him. May struggle in man-to-man coverages in college due to limited assignments at the high school level. Has the range and length looked for in a high-point safety but we question his ability to consistently fill the alley on bigger, faster ball carriers. Takes direct angles to perimeter runs/bubble pass but at times is hesitant to explode and drive through WR or RB. Will need to improve strength and bulk to become a better wrap up tackler. Overall, Whigham shows some upside and with physical development could be falling under the radar with the tools he has to contribute at the major college level at a free safety position.

Notes

Committed July 2011... 2010: Caught four passes for 35 yards and one touchdown... Born in Brooklyn, N.Y. ...

Advertisement
It at least looks like we've got some backups and B-listers so we don't put all of the eggs in the PJ Williams, Lucas Thompson, Deon Bush basket.

**** we need a good recruiter fast... how in the **** we keep ending up with these plan j mutha ****as...

Because Plan A-I don't wanna go to no school that just had a decade of irrelevance, I guess.

Advertisement
seriously, we have sucked for nearly a decade. our stadium is 1/2 empty, and sanctions are looming. do people really expect the top prospects to be banging down our door?

Because Plan A-I don't wanna go to no school that just had a decade of irrelevance, I guess.
It never fails to amaze me that so many guys just don't get this. Win and this will change.

I agree that winning will cure a lot of our recruiting woes, but I think it's more than just our on-field issues. I think it's the NCAA issues that are causing some recruits to shy away from us. Right now, we can offer a lot of early playing time, but the uncertainty of our situation with the NCAA, in my opinion, is what is keeping a lot of recruits from signing with us. You know other coaches are using our trouble with the NCAA as a negative recruiting tool.

It has more to do with a coach bringing in the right type of guys than anything........Winning, losing whatever.

It never fails to amaze me that so many guys just don't get this. Win and this will change.

I agree that winning will cure a lot of our recruiting woes, but I think it's more than just our on-field issues. I think it's the NCAA issues that are causing some recruits to shy away from us. Right now, we can offer a lot of early playing time, but the uncertainty of our situation with the NCAA, in my opinion, is what is keeping a lot of recruits from signing with us. You know other coaches are using our trouble with the NCAA as a negative recruiting tool.

Still, I don't think sanctions will affect this class three or four years from now.

Advertisement
Still, I don't think sanctions will affect this class three or four years from now.

No, but when you have other coaches telling the kid something like, "Well, Player X, you know Miami is going to get hit hard with sanctions, so they won't be able to go to a bowl game for (insert number of years) years. They will probably get hit with a bunch of scholarship restrictions too, so they may be able to offer you immediate playing time, but Miami will probably be on the losing end of most of their games because they won't be able to sign as many good players. You don't want that, do you? If you come to University Y, you'll not only be a star on campus, but we aren't facing any NCAA sanctions, so we can give you the best chance of reaching the BCS championship game!", the kid is going to listen, especially when it's coming from more than one coach.

Besides, when has a 17 or 18 year old kid ever thought of anything longer than their immediate future? In 3 or 4 years we could be running the table, but the kids will still only see what's happening right now.

Last edited:
If we were able to rebuild after getting hammered in th late 90s, we should be able to do it again...its all about finding the right type of players

Advertisement
Back