Juiced ball?

native

Redshirt Freshman
Thoughts on the ball being juiced this year. Most HR's per game since 1998. Exit velo through the roof. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Advertisement
Juiced balls, juiced players ... neither would surprise me. Although there are many more teams these days w 4th and 5th year seniors.

Once the COVID players are done (this year?), I think the comps will be more valid.

Juiced balls, juiced players ... neither would surprise me. Although there are many more teams these days w 4th and 5th year seniors.

Once the COVID players are done (this year?), I think the comps will be more valid.
Maybe. But the guy who led our team in homers was a 5'5" 18-year-old.

Advertisement
Maybe. But the guy who led our team in homers was a 5'5" 18-year-old.
As @native seemed to be questioning, I've noticed a lot of 8 and 9 hole hitters watching the post-season games w double digit HRs this year, when they barely hit more than low single digits their first 2 - 3 seasons.

also the mindset/approach of hitters has changed, kids are bigger and stronger at this age with the training they have.

Plus no one is teaching swing down on the ball (well except ARod...who when he talks swing mechanics at times you realize he was just gifted).

On the flip side I have mentioned a kid like Jordan Lala who they should have let be a gap-to-gap guy, bunt a bit, slap the ball, etc. But they wanted him to elevate and its not his game. Goes to Tampa and is on base all the time for 3 years.

I think this kid on the Marlins is going to shift focus even more to allowing a team to have a few guys to get on base, create some havoc, and then the 3 run home run happens. What a novel concept. Almost like it used to work.

Not all baseballs are created equal…

Likely multi factorial, but the baseballs could be one factor

Advertisement
also the mindset/approach of hitters has changed, kids are bigger and stronger at this age with the training they have.

Plus no one is teaching swing down on the ball (well except ARod...who when he talks swing mechanics at times you realize he was just gifted).

On the flip side I have mentioned a kid like Jordan Lala who they should have let be a gap-to-gap guy, bunt a bit, slap the ball, etc. But they wanted him to elevate and its not his game. Goes to Tampa and is on base all the time for 3 years.

I think this kid on the Marlins is going to shift focus even more to allowing a team to have a few guys to get on base, create some havoc, and then the 3 run home run happens. What a novel concept. Almost like it used to work.

I watched Moneyball last night and it still baffles me that so many teams are built with guys who strike out 1/4-1/3 of the time and struggle with fundamentals or simply putting the ball in play. I'm not saying put together a team of misfit toys but fundamentals like getting on base, shortening you swing with 2 strikes, extending the count to get the starter out and into the bullpen, etc. makes so much logical sense, especially if you do have some sluggers in the lineup to hit those guys in. No, instead i'm a Mets fan and after years of having cheap *** owners, we have one now that blindly spends on a garbage product like Lindor at $34M, who can barely hit his weight, and $10M+ on platoon guys. Even Nimmo is striking out at an high rate this year.

As a long term Phillies fan I am baffled by Schwarber hitting lead off at .175

As a long term Phillies fan I am baffled by Schwarber hitting lead off at .175
Hey man he is up to .191!

Btw June Schwarber is another level.

————————-

Barry Bonds- 12606 PAs, 762 HRs

June Schwarber- 599 PAs, 53 HRs

If June Schwarber got 12606 career PAs, he’d hit 1,115 HRs

I watched Moneyball last night and it still baffles me that so many teams are built with guys who strike out 1/4-1/3 of the time and struggle with fundamentals or simply putting the ball in play. I'm not saying put together a team of misfit toys but fundamentals like getting on base, shortening you swing with 2 strikes, extending the count to get the starter out and into the bullpen, etc. makes so much logical sense, especially if you do have some sluggers in the lineup to hit those guys in. No, instead i'm a Mets fan and after years of having cheap *** owners, we have one now that blindly spends on a garbage product like Lindor at $34M, who can barely hit his weight, and $10M+ on platoon guys. Even Nimmo is striking out at an high rate this year.
i think about this when I see Japan win the WBC.

I think we can learn something from them.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back