2023 JUCO WR Shemar Kirk - Reedley College, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement

Miami has long been looking for wide receiver help via the transfer portal ahead of the 2023 season.

Many names have surfaced and flamed out but that’s not keeping Mario Cristobal and his staff from constantly exploring options as they look to add some competition to a room that underperformed last fall, while also giving Tyler Van Dyke more weapons in this new wide open offense.

One new name to monitor is Reedley (Cali.) College’s Shemar Kirk, a 6-foot-1, 180-pounder who caught 45 passes for 782 yards (17.4 yards per catch) and eight touchdowns last fall for a 5-5 team. The season before, Kirk averaged 21.4 yards per catch, bringing in 31 balls for 664 yards with seven scores.

In 2022, Kirk went for over 100-yards in four of the eight games he played with a career-high 170-yards coming in late October loss where Kirk scored the only touchdown of the game.

In back-to-back games as a freshman, Kirk went for over 150 yards with touchdowns of 79 and 90-yards. During that two game stretch, Kirk brought in nine passes for 312 yards and four touchdowns.

Texas A&M, Mississippi State, UCF, Purdue, Washington State, Temple, UNLV, and Akron are some schools who have extended offers. Kirk spent time in College Station last month for an official visit with the Aggies.

Originally from Nashville, Kirk is a prospect who would be able to join the team this summer.

I hate trying to gauge juco competition unless its in the Jayhawk conference or the Mississippi conference. Those teams are loaded and well coached. Reedley isn't even NJCAA, it's in the California Community College chain - not a ton of talent comes out of there. Lots of grades and test score casualties and guys that totally whiffed on any college interest coming out of HS.

Has good offers though and his playing style, running style, frame, etc. reminds me a lot of Stacey Coley.

I hate trying to gauge juco competition unless its in the Jayhawk conference or the Mississippi conference. Those teams are loaded and well coached. Reedley isn't even NJCAA, it's in the California Community College chain - not a ton of talent comes out of there. Lots of grades and test score casualties and guys that totally whiffed on any college interest coming out of HS.

Has good offers though and his playing style, running style, frame, etc. reminds me a lot of Stacey Coley.
Bite your arm off for another Stacey Coley.

When I was watching I said the same thing to myself. He’s got that hunched over run like coley.

Advertisement
Bite your arm off for another Stacey Coley.
100%

Just don't know if he's as fast and I can't tell from the film. I'm familiar with his HS in Nashville and they're usually pretty terrible and play mediocre competition and avoid the powerhouse programs in middle TN. Easy to see how he would have flown under the radar - I know they had a decent QB that probably overlapped him but that kid didn't play in college (as far as I know) so it was mediocre QB play at best.

No doubt on Jayhawk Conference. Hutchinson Community College is in my hometown. Alone they've produced current pro's: Cordarelle Patterson, Alvin Kamara, Markus Golden and Jerry Jacobs. I'm sure I'm missing a few, too. Had a kid taken in the fourth round this year, too.

I was literally about to say something about Coley comps. I think Coley had a smoother wiggle but I see it for sure with this guy.

Miami has long been looking for wide receiver help via the transfer portal ahead of the 2023 season.

Many names have surfaced and flamed out but that’s not keeping Mario Cristobal and his staff from constantly exploring options as they look to add some competition to a room that underperformed last fall, while also giving Tyler Van Dyke more weapons in this new wide open offense.

One new name to monitor is Reedley (Cali.) College’s Shemar Kirk, a 6-foot-1, 180-pounder who caught 45 passes for 782 yards (17.4 yards per catch) and eight touchdowns last fall for a 5-5 team. The season before, Kirk averaged 21.4 yards per catch, bringing in 31 balls for 664 yards with seven scores.

In 2022, Kirk went for over 100-yards in four of the eight games he played with a career-high 170-yards coming in late October loss where Kirk scored the only touchdown of the game.

In back-to-back games as a freshman, Kirk went for over 150 yards with touchdowns of 79 and 90-yards. During that two game stretch, Kirk brought in nine passes for 312 yards and four touchdowns.

Texas A&M, Mississippi State, UCF, Purdue, Washington State, Temple, UNLV, and Akron are some schools who have extended offers. Kirk spent time in College Station last month for an official visit with the Aggies.

Originally from Nashville, Kirk is a prospect who would be able to join the team this summer.

That projects to 1173 yards and 12 TD's if he had played in 12 games instead of 8. He was pretty dominant.

Advertisement

Bless Akron U's little heart

Advertisement
Good hands catcher, nice Inside-Out release @1:25 on his tape with good back should adjustment high-pointing the ball.

Has good acceleration once in the 2nd level & even though I’m not sure if he ran a track or not, he’s got a sprinters stride.

Nice shiftiness as well in the open field, plus he can be a Punt/Kick Returner.

Reminds me Tory Horton; Can put him at X or Flanker. Absolute Take.

You add this kid & Zakhari Franklin & that changes the composition of the Offense drastically.

InsideTheU was first to report on Miami’s interest in Reedley (Cali.) College wide receiver Shemar Kirk on Wednesday morning.

That interest, which picked up just a couple of days ago according to the 6-foot-1, 180-pounder, quickly developed into an offer from the Hurricanes on Wednesday afternoon.

“It means a lot. It’s a blessing,” Kirk told InsideTheU over the phone on Wednesday evening. “I’m familiar with guys that’s been there previously; Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Sean Taylor, all those guys. It’s a blessing. It’s got a big legacy.”

Kirk, who has totaled 76 catches for 1446 yards (19.0 yards per catch) and 15 touchdowns, will touchdown in Dade County late Thursday and spend most of Friday and a part of Saturday around the program.

“It’s a big decision. Right now, it’s just more so feeling the vibes of the people. See where people’s minds are at. I want to be around like-minded, positive people that I can grow with on and off the field in all aspects; mentally, physically, and spiritually. I’m just looking to hear that word,” Kirk said.

Wide receiver coach Kevin Beard and Kirk had a long conversation and that helped the junior college product get a good idea of what the Miami alum is about.

“We got on the phone for two hours,” Kirk said. “He’s real. He’s a real stand-up guy. He challenges you. He wants to see where your head is. He’s for his players. He wants to do right by his players. He’s a real stand-up guy. He’s going to be real. He’s going to tell you the real. He’s not going to tell you what you want to hear. He’s just going to keep it him, himself. He’s just going to keep it real with you and straight forward.”

As far as opportunity in Coral Gables, Kirk knows there are plays available for him to make and the ability to get on the field early is enticing.

“I feel good about it. Being able to come in and make an impact early and just be on the field and do what I do. This opportunity is a great opportunity. I’ve never been to Miami, so being able to be a part of something so big, it will be very special to me,” Kirk said.

When it comes to his process, Kirk is relying on his faith to guide him in the right direction.

“Honestly, I can’t even put a ceiling on anything, put a top on it,” Kirk said. “At one point I closed my recruitment. I thought I did, but I didn’t. What’s planned, what God has got for me. I’m just enjoying the process and whatever opportunity comes my way, I’m going to take advantage of it. I’m just waiting on God to truly reveal and get confirmation for my next step.”

Texas A&M, Mississippi State, and UCF are amongst the programs who have extended offers to the immediately eligible transfer.

Advertisement
He reminds me of Jacolby George. If you are trying to push Jacolby and add competition at flanker, he seems like the perfect candidate to do that.

George is still not that far ahead of the pack we currently have. So, he should be having guys push him regardless. Don't really understand getting guys in the portal that are basically bodies/roster fillers. We really need an alpha number one receiver. I'm not seeing it with this guy compared to what we already have. I'm praying Franklin at least visits and hears our pitch.

He reminds me of a less explosive / fast Chad Jackson, He plays violent for a wr , breaks a crazy amount of tackles. He plays fearless. Good body control and high pointing the ball even though he’s 6’1. Good enough speed / explosion to stretch the field.

Last edited:
He reminds me of a less explosive / fast Chad Jackson, He plays violent for a wr , breaks a crazy amount of tackles. He plays fearless. Good body control and high pointing the ball even though he’s 6’1. Good enough speed / exploration to stretch the field.
Sounds good, but does he move the needle? Depth piece or threat to take serious PT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back