JUCO Was Solution this Staff Failed On

nebcane

Redshirt Freshman
In retrospect, this staff fumbled the ball by not bringing in 2-3 JUCO DL last year. They over estimated their talent level at DL and put themselves in this position. I know they went after a few blue chippers like Jenkins from GA, but they had no plan B with JUCO DL kids. The one JUCO they brought in (D. Smith) has shown he is not a D1 DT.

Alot of folks are calling out the DL coach and strength and conditioning coach, but I think you can make a case the recruiting coordinator is not getting it done as well. The coaching staff's job is to recruit to need and maintain a balance of youth and upper classmen on a roster. When your 118th in defense and your personnel is the reason you are so bad, then that comes back to the coaches player evaluation, recruiting strategy, and execution of that strategy.

Randy Shannon arguably has gutted this program like no other coach has gutted a D1 program in the current era. It's up to Golden and staff to assess his talen and find a way to stop the bleeding fast. I love this staff but am starting to question their ability to evaluate talent. I see alot of "scared money" decisions with DL opn the current roster.

Advertisement
with sanctions looming, it doesnt make sense to spend a valuable scholarship on a kid who will only be around for a year or two, especially when this defense is more than 1 or 2 guys away. the key to the future will be the fact that in 2 years we will have a team with a large group of upperclassmen with 3-4 years of experience, many of whom will be 3 or 4 year starters at that point. that is much more valuable than using a spot for a JUCO kid or two for a year or two who in the overall picture isnt going to make a difference anyway

It is very difficult to bring in JUCO kids and get them qualified. I am sure the staff new there were issues and tried their best.

2 JUCO DL would be a great help but the coaching isn't too good on D either. Hopefully Al can bring in some beasts from the JUCO ranks because more freshman on the DL (Bryant and Bostwick) wouldn't help us next year IMO.

It is very difficult to bring in JUCO kids and get them qualified. I am sure the staff new there were issues and tried their best.

They get into most other schools. Here I can't fault Golden. Our admissions has been sabotaging this program for years.

Advertisement
In retrospect, this staff fumbled the ball by not bringing in 2-3 JUCO DL last year. They over estimated their talent level at DL and put themselves in this position. I know they went after a few blue chippers like Jenkins from GA, but they had no plan B with JUCO DL kids. The one JUCO they brought in (D. Smith) has shown he is not a D1 DT.

Alot of folks are calling out the DL coach and strength and conditioning coach, but I think you can make a case the recruiting coordinator is not getting it done as well. The coaching staff's job is to recruit to need and maintain a balance of youth and upper classmen on a roster. When your 118th in defense and your personnel is the reason you are so bad, then that comes back to the coaches player evaluation, recruiting strategy, and execution of that strategy.

Randy Shannon arguably has gutted this program like no other coach has gutted a D1 program in the current era. It's up to Golden and staff to assess his talen and find a way to stop the bleeding fast. I love this staff but am starting to question their ability to evaluate talent. I see alot of "scared money" decisions with DL opn the current roster.

Agree with you that we could've used some JUCO help on the Dline this season.
In fairness, recruiting stud JUCO DLmen is very competitive.
You normally have to get these guys to commit early, as in last summer.
At that time last year I'm guessing the coaches were assuming Forston was
returning and that Porter wouldn't be missing all these games (again).
Nonetheless, I recall several JUCOs coming in for visits last January.
They just decided to go elsewhere.
But I agree with you in principle about JUCOs. It is important to bring 2-3 every
year to fill in at critical positions lacking depth and/or talent.
That is how Bama does it every year.

with sanctions looming, it doesnt make sense to spend a valuable scholarship on a kid who will only be around for a year or two, especially when this defense is more than 1 or 2 guys away. the key to the future will be the fact that in 2 years we will have a team with a large group of upperclassmen with 3-4 years of experience, many of whom will be 3 or 4 year starters at that point. that is much more valuable than using a spot for a JUCO kid or two for a year or two who in the overall picture isnt going to make a difference anyway

I disagree.

With sanctions it means you much be more EFFICIENT with each scholarship.

Whether that means you get 2 solid years out of a JUCO guy or X out of a HS kid, it doesn't matter because efficiency is what counts most.

When you bring in JUCO kids it usually means they are PHYSICALLY ready, that usually helps a team with sanctions that can't develop as many kids (not enough ships to let them redshirt and develop).

I think Al preferred to rebuild with high school kids. Remember our entire defense was void of talent. We had to load up on DBs, Lbs, and D-lineman while trying to still have some balance on the offensive side of the ball. I still don't see us targeting many JUCO guys right now so Al must feel they can develop the group they brought in last year.

All I know is this. All of a suddenly out of the woodwerks, we are recruiting a few JUCO's on the DL, and that popped up on the radar after the KSU game. The coaching staff isnt stupid, and I'm quite sure Golden will address it any way he can. This team is built for 2014, and it looks like Golden knows it. One thing that can eff it all up is the NCAA and whatever they decide to do.

Advertisement
All I know is this. All of a suddenly out of the woodwerks, we are recruiting a few JUCO's on the DL, and that popped up on the radar after the KSU game. The coaching staff isnt stupid, and I'm quite sure Golden will address it any way he can. This team is built for 2014, and it looks like Golden knows it. One thing that can eff it all up is the NCAA and whatever they decide to do.

Agreed.

Look at that back 7 (2014)

LB: EJ
LB: DP
LB: Kirby

CB: Finnie
CB: Howard/Crawford
S: Bush
S: Jenkins

Stuff is starting to come together but we will struggle without a DL that gets pressure.

How are we built for 2014? We'll be starting a new QB and pretty much that entire starting OL will be gone. It'll take that bumbling idiot at DC another 3 years before he fields anything that has the amount of talent and experience for him to not look completely lost.

How are we built for 2014? We'll be starting a new QB and pretty much that entire starting OL will be gone. It'll take that bumbling idiot at DC another 3 years before he fields anything that has the amount of talent and experience for him to not look completely lost.

I took it that he meant the D will look good for 2014. But I could be wrong.

Advertisement
We tried like **** to get John Jenkins who, except for last night, has been a beast for UGA. Having him would've been a huge difference for us, but the SEC is tough to recruit against. I don't really follow the JUCO scene but I can't think of anyone else that would've made a huge difference besides Jenkins.

Advertisement

I took it that he meant the D will look good for 2014. But I could be wrong.

Golden will be the QB, and we will have Duke, Collins, and Sony at RB. We will have Feliciano and FLowers at the very least on the OL. We will have a ton of WR's. What needs to be addressed for us for 13 and especially 14 is the entire DL and somebody who at least can run and catch at TE. We dont need to find Shockey or Winslow, but Jeezus, TE U should have somebody who can do something.

Are there any good JUCO programs in FL? I know KState stocks up on them, but there are at least 3 maybe 4 ridiculous juco programs in KS.

Advertisement
Back