JuCo DL Wants To Hear From Miami

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
One of the storylines for this year’s recruiting class is the need for college-ready defensive linemen. Abens Cajuste (6’3, 291), who is originally from North Miami Beach (class of 2010), is playing his final season at Victor Valley Community College in California before he graduates in December and moves onto a 4-year program. Cajuste holds offers from the likes of Kansas State, Arizona, Arizona State, Rutgers, and Purdue.

How did Cajuste wind up at a community college in California?

“I graduated from North Miami Beach Senior High School and I signed with Central Connecticut State University, a D-1AA program. I got my redshirt up there and didn’t really like the area and I felt like I was better than the competition and wanted to go bigger, so I decided to transfer out and come to junior college in California.”

While some players don’t necessarily like having to go the junior college route before making it big, Cajuste feels it has helped him grow.

“It has matured me a lot. It showed me that this is my last step right here. If I fail to make it out here, then that would be it. It really humbled me a lot and showed me how much the game means to me.”

How did somebody with no major offers out of high school become such a wanted commodity?

“Coming out of high school, I was undersized playing defensive tackle at only 240-245 so a lot of schools looked past me and didn’t want to take a chance on me until Central came in last minute and took me in. Out here at the junior college level, I’ve put on good weight and starting working out a lot and I made it through.”

Cajuste says there are a few things that separate him from others on the field.

“My effort and intensity make me special. I go till the whistle blows and I pursue hard and command double-teams, triple-teams. I’m in the backfield all the time. I’m very balanced, so I can definitely control the run and put a pass-rush on you.”

As far as his recruitment goes, Cajuste is still waiting for one program to really catch his attention.

“Right now I’m liking Kansas State, Arizona State, Purdue, and Rutgers. I just don’t feel like that right school has come along yet, so my options are very open and I don’t have any favorites.”

A school that Cajuste would be more than willing to talk to is the University of Miami.

“It would be an honor if they offered, they would honestly be a favorite because growing up my mother never had a chance to see me play because she was always working. So to have the opportunity for her to come and see me play would just be a blessing. And the Hurricanes name just speaks for itself.”

Asked if he wanted to add anything else at the end of the interview, Cajuste had this to say.

“Hopefully the Hurricanes just give me a call, that’s it.”

Cajuste would have 2 years to play 2.

Here are Cajuste's highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/904950/abens-cajuste

Advertisement
Advertisement
Hard to evaluate from that video, but I really didn't see anything "special"....and he doesn't looke 6'3 or 290.

Advertisement
The way this staff missed with Darius Smith,I'm not sure I trust them taking any JC DT except for Toby Johnson who has all the SEC scools after him and is very unlikely to go anywhere but an SEC school.

Advertisement
The way this staff missed with Darius Smith,I'm not sure I trust them taking any JC DT except for Toby Johnson who has all the SEC scools after him and is very unlikely to go anywhere but an SEC school.

Difference here is that this kid actually has some good offers, whereas we were the ONLY school to offer Smith

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back