Joyner set to enroll for Summer A, will play DE in some situations

View as article
Yep. I think our lb rotation looks like this for 2019. Remember that the mlb position us being phased out with Mike Smith graduating and Shaq leaving early.

WLB: Steed, Jennings, Pierre
SLB: McCloud, Wilder, Huff
Striker: Finley, Derrick Smith, Solomon

Brooks and Joyner will play DE roles.

Who said MLB was being phased out? If anything I think it would be the SLB in Manny's system. Getting gashed up the middle is a recipe for disaster for any D. Curious as to why you say MLB is being phased out?

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Who said MLB was being phased out? If anything I think it would be the SLB in Manny's system. Getting gashed up the middle is a recipe for disaster for any D. Curious as to why you say MLB is being phased out?

Go Canes!

Just by looking at recruiting and player moves.

1. Jennings has been moved to WLB with Pinckney and Steed.

2. Mike Smith is graduating.

3. Shaq is a solid bet to leave early.

This means we’ll have zero returning mlbs in 2019.

And if you look at our recruiting, there is only 1 kid who fits the bill as a classic MLB- Pierre. I think we’ll use him in a classic MLB role in certain situations, but our base defense will likely switch to a 4-2-5 with the striker serving as the 5th DB and only retaining the WLB and SLB as the two LBs.

Just by looking at recruiting and player moves.

1. Jennings has been moved to WLB with Pinckney and Steed.

2. Mike Smith is graduating.

3. Shaq is a solid bet to leave early.

This means we’ll have zero returning mlbs in 2019.

And if you look at our recruiting, there is only 1 kid who fits the bill as a classic MLB- Pierre. I think we’ll use him in a classic MLB role in certain situations, but our base defense will likely switch to a 4-2-5 with the striker serving as the 5th DB and only retaining the WLB and SLB as the two LBs.

Gotcha. I wasn't aware Jennings had been moved. Not sure if I agree with the decision, but I'm just a fan. Like I said getting gashed up the middle is demoralizing for a defense and you can lose a team real quick if that happens. I hope I'm very very wrong.

Go Canes!

Depends on how he grows.

McDougle was only 6'2" (listed as 6'4" on the Miami roster) and he was nasty as a DE here.

And of course Dwight Freeney was somewhere around 6'2" as well.

Plenty of others, I'm sure.

Joyner has the skills to fill that role nicely. Not the least bit surprised to hear this. Let's see what he can do.

Does anyone here think Joyner could develop into a full time DE?

Advertisement
Gotcha. I wasn't aware Jennings had been moved. Not sure if I agree with the decision, but I'm just a fan. Like I said getting gashed up the middle is demoralizing for a defense and you can lose a team real quick if that happens. I hope I'm very very wrong.

Go Canes!
He hasn't been moved. Still at mlb but gets reps at wlb too.

Depends on how he grows.

McDougle was only 6'2" (listed as 6'4" on the Miami roster) and he was nasty as a DE here.

And of course Dwight Freeney was somewhere around 6'2" as well.

Plenty of others, I'm sure.

Dumervil, who should've been a cane

Dont like that idea. Kid played with his hand down in HS mostly.

He was recruited as an LB tho.

He needs as many reps as possible in space and at LB if hes ever going to develop into a starting LB(which is the goal)

Advertisement
Joyner will be in top shape coming into summer workouts. During the spring he's been working out at Idolmaker with randy, and coming from personal experience, he will be extremely ready to compete on day 1 from a physical standpoint

Trent harris was 6'2.

Good. Harris was a solid player at The U. I hope he makes the Pats or another team and makes some money. Earns an NFL pension.

Unless Joyner struggles to play in space and cover, why not play him at LB? Let’s see how he develops and what the team needs are.

Go Canes!
I disagree with our friend. For one thing with no middle linebacker it will allow for easy double-team of a DT by guard or a center and easily open up holes in the middle. It would also mean quick passes over the short middle is well. I don’t think any team will exclusively run the 4 2 5. It will be used in situations

Dont like that idea. Kid played with his hand down in HS mostly.

He was recruited as an LB tho.

He needs as many reps as possible in space and at LB if hes ever going to develop into a starting LB(which is the goal)
He was so disruptive on the line of scrimmage. I thought That is where he fits best at least early on when watching his film

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back