Joshua Rogers 2017 DT as a Late Prospect Should Miami Offer

Paranos

All-ACC
Joshua Rogers a 6'4" 290lbs 2017 DT out of Houston, TX is a late prospect UM should offer. He has a Top 6 of Texas, Houston, OU, Baylor, TAM, & Ole Miss. Rogers plays so-so competition but is dominant against that competition which is what you want to see when the prospect is a superior athlete versus their competition.

Rogers will greatly benefit from a redshirt year both from being in a FBS S&C program and developing better technique, Rogers has the frame to carry 310lbs easily an not lose a step. He projects as a 1 Tech D-Tackle in Miami's defensive scheme who can also play 3 Tech spot also. He needs to work on his flexibility and pad level but all that can corrected. Rogers displays very good Football Intelligence and situational awareness (he knocks down a lot of passes); along with being a high motor kid (which is something Coach Kool loves in his players).

As for jumping into recruiting Rogers this late in the game, I don't think that would be an issue for Miami, since Roger's HS Coach has been in the NFL, and at Rutgers under Greg Schiano he will have an appreciation for Miami's brand. Not to mention his coach has already put in his head he will need the development a redshirt year brings, so his head coach is steering him towards a school where rogers will need to sit for a year or two. This would make Miami the ideal situation given UM's current depth chart an future needs.

An in regards to Joshua Roger's Top 6 Schools:
Texas (has not offered, but with old Houston Staff there now one could be coming very late if they miss out on higher rated recruits)
Houston (the old Def-staff offered him, but now they're at UT & Houston is moving to a new defensive system under Mark D'onofrio)
Baylor (is a dumpster fire, so they are in name only)
Texas A&M (is recruiting him as a Offensive Tackle, he is more enamored with TAM as a school then playing OT)
OU (is the only real threat but they are after higher rated players on their board, I think he is still a take for them if he wants in)
Ole Miss (the lure of the $EC, but being under in investigation & sanctions means they have to play fair so this is where Miami can supplant them in his top choices).

Miami has always had strong following in the Houston area, so it would hurt to kick the tires on this one an see what happens in a 3 horse race of Miami, TAM, and OU.

2017 Joshua Rogers 3* DT senior year highlights (the competition is average at best, but he moves well for 290lbs)
[HUDL]video/3/4177815/57f1b3047bddf86ca0277432[/HUDL]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Link to Article from Sept 2016
https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/open-post-weekend-sept-30th-oct-2nd

Joshua Rogers: Last year the Sooners only took one true defensive linemen (Amani Bledsoe). Going without at least one solid defensive line prospect this year would create a gap that typically forces teams to mine the JUCO ranks. The Sooners are working hard on guys like Marvin Wilson and Greg Rodgers but earlier this week they sent out a new offer to 2017 DT, Joshua Rogers (Houston, TX).

Rogers holds offers from Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Colorado and others.

I had a chance to speak to Rogers’ head coach, coach Max Bowman and Houston Christian. Coach Bowman isn’t your average high school coach. He has, in fact, coached at every level including the NFL where he was an assistant head coach to Wade Phillips. He was also on the staff at Rutgers during Schiano’s time there. In other words, he’s a man that knows football.

Coach Bownman verified that Rogers is in that 6’5′ to 6’6 range and currently weighs around 285 lbs. But he added that, “he doesn’t look anywhere over 250 lbs. Once he gets to college, he’ll carry 320 with ease. He’s still young. He actually should be a junior but his parents put him ahead a grade”. While the Sooners offered Rogers as a defensive tackle prospect, other schools, including Texas A&M are recruiting Rogers as an offensive tackle.

As you all know, Marvin Wilson is another big defensive tackle prospect who is in the private school system in the Houston area. In fact Rogers and Wilson play each other. I asked coach Bowman how he’d compare Rogers to someone like Marvin Wilson, “Same category as Marvin Wilson but Wilson is more developed…He (Joshua) is going to need a redshirt, a year to develop in the weight room and in his technique.”

As good as guys like Amani Bledsoe and Neville Gallimore have looked, the Sooners don’t necessarily need a guy like Joshua to come in and start right away (though it’s always nice when that happens). Sooner fans are understandably apprehensive about players who need time to develop but coach Bowman noted that Rogers has the work ethic and attitude needed to just that. In terms of ability, “he has all the ability in the world” says coach Bowman.

The Sooners have yet to see Rogers play. I’m told they visited Rogers at his school last week to size him up and apparently loved what they saw. I expect them to make a return trip in the near future to watch the big man in action.

As far as interest in Oklahoma, coach Bowman says Joshua was extremely excited to receive the offer. It sounds like no official visits have been scheduled yet but based on what I’ve been told, it’s safe to assume that Oklahoma will get a visit. – (Super K)......

Kul loves Texas and if he was worthy he'd have gotten the offer already and let's be real he looks like he's playing against 12 year olds

Link to article
3-star DT Joshua Rogers' finalists include Ole Miss and Texas A&M

3-star DT Joshua Rogers' finalists include Ole Miss and Texas A&M

Three-star defensive tackle Joshua Rogers is down to the final five in his recruitment, and two SEC West programs are firmly in the mix.

“My final five are Oklahoma, Baylor, Houston, Texas A&M and Ole Miss,” Rogers told GN. “I’m visiting Houston this weekend (January 14), I go to Texas A&M on January 20 and to Ole Miss on January 27.”

Rogers (6-5, 280) attends Houston Christian. He is a top-65 defensive tackle prospect nationally and expects to play numerous defensive line positions in college.

“Texas A&M is one of the schools that have been recruiting me the longest,” Rogers said. “They have been recruiting me since last April, so I have built a great relationship with the coaches.

“Just the environment of College Station — it’s one of the best in the country. Having a chance to play for them, it’s just crazy.”

He’s less familiar with Ole Miss, but still interested.

“I’ve never been to the state of Mississippi,” he said. “I’m visiting there on January 27 and going to get all my questions answered and see some things I’ve never seen before. I want to see how they do it down there. I’m looking forward to it.”

Save Big on Bras, Panties & Apparel

Going to college is a big deal, not only for Rogers but for his family.

“I’m the first person in my family to go to college,” Rogers said. “Going to college for free on top of that is real big for my family. I’m just trying to make it happen for me and my family.”

So, what is Rogers looking for in a college destination?

“I mean, of course, playing time is a factor,” he said. “I’ve never been scared of getting away from home. Wherever I’m going to fit in best and wherever I’m going to ball out at, that’s what I’m going to do.”

Rogers will announce his decision on National Signing Day.

Kul loves Texas and if he was worthy he'd have gotten the offer already and let's be real he looks like he's playing against 12 year olds

Did you miss the part where I said he is a player that needs time to develop and that he plays suspect competition! Also keep in Mind Coach Kool was looking a lot of prospects that Miami has unfortunately missed on, so know it is time to look at the developmental type players.

Go Canes

PS: An I wouldn't doubt it if a few of those players may have been 12ish, they grow those kids big in texas.

Advertisement
Can't read this without breaking into uncontrollable laughter:
Houston (the old Def-staff offered him, but now they're at UT & Houston is moving to a new defensive system under Mark D'onofrio)

Did you miss the part where I said he is a player that needs time to develop and that he plays suspect competition! Also keep in Mind Coach Kool was looking a lot of prospects that Miami has unfortunately missed on, so know it is time to look at the developmental type players.

Go Canes

PS: An I wouldn't doubt it if a few of those players may have been 12ish, they grow those kids big in texas.

My point is he knows talent better then any DL coach in the game and he has always recruited Texas so he would know who's worth the look because developmental guys can be located anywhere so im just saying kid must not be worthy in his eyes which is obvious by the non offer but hey

We probably have already offered him but he doesn't seem to be considering Miami if we're not in his top 6.

And what following does Miami have in the Houston area?

Can't read this without breaking into uncontrollable laughter:

Here's Houston's new defensive system:

Guy%20sets%20himself%20on%20fire%20and%20jumps%20out%20of%20his%20window.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
I believe with the best ******* DL coach in America we don't need to sign out of state kids that are marginal prospects even if their upside is high. I'd rather take a smaller SFLa DB that hates people and tries to knock out folks on the field. But hey that's just me.

Advertisement
Back