2022 Joshua Conerly Jr, 5 ⭐️ OL, class of 2022 offered

Rok, you've got to be trolling! My daughter watched a couple of games with me and actually asked why Scaife seemed to be blocking no one on several occasions as DT's and DE's ran right past him. She asked what his job was supposed to be.
Forget about Scaife for a moment.

What I'm advocating is merely for Nelson to get a look/see at guard during spring practice.
New coach, new scheme, and we've had no success running between the tackles since OJ Anderson.

Advertisement
Coach Mirrorball!
Party Lights GIF by saroltabodo

Gattis! Crystalball! Get the recruit! Go! Go!
Tell Third Eye GIF by Denyse®

What’s the latest with this kid? Why hasn’t he signed with anyone yet?
He is doing the same thing another kid from washington did last year. He is playing basketball, couldnt visit schools so decided a while ago he would not sign in Feb and he would sign sometime in March so it was always the plan. As far as latest? Who knows... Michigan and Oregon were once the top 2, Oregon kinda fell off but he still has a visit planned there, taking all 5 of his OVs, already visited us, Michigan, and Oklahoma, still has visits to USC and Oregon in March and an unofficial to Washington rounds out his top 6.

Advertisement
He is doing the same thing another kid from washington did last year. He is playing basketball, couldnt visit schools so decided a while ago he would not sign in Feb and he would sign sometime in March so it was always the plan. As far as latest? Who knows... Michigan and Oregon were once the top 2, Oregon kinda fell off but he still has a visit planned there, taking all 5 of his OVs, already visited us, Michigan, and Oklahoma, still has visits to USC and Oregon in March and an unofficial to Washington rounds out his top 6.
Word. I was confused.

What I'm advocating is merely for Nelson to get a look/see at guard during spring practice.
New coach, new scheme, and we've had no success running between the tackles since OJ Anderson.
IT MAKES NO SENSE.

Nelson actually isnt a strong run blocker AT TACKLE. He doesnt get the movement you would want or expect...which would be worse on the INSIDE.

He is a **** 3 year starter at LT and has nfl grade and aspirations at that spot. There isnt a need to GET A LOOK...a see..NOTHING. He is our bookend tackle currently.

IT MAKES NO SENSE.

Nelson actually isnt a strong run blocker AT TACKLE. He doesnt get the movement you would want or expect...which would be worse on the INSIDE.

He is a **** 3 year starter at LT and has nfl grade and aspirations at that spot. There isnt a need to GET A LOOK...a see..NOTHING. He is our bookend tackle currently.
For real. If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Advertisement
Advertisement

Then we take our best pass blocker and move them inside, likely opens up a **** storm off the edge.

Advertisement
Then we take our best pass blocker and move them inside, likely opens up a **** storm off the edge.
It's a risk but our options are much more limited at guard. We have other capable tackles imo. Nelson has become one of our largest players. His transformation from a 240 lb early enrollee to a 310 lb monster will only continue. Scaife can handle playing tackle. In fact, he's thrived there:

Even though the offensive line, and offense altogether, was a complete mess last season for the Canes, one bright spot was the team’s Offensive MVP, DJ Scaife Jr. According to PFF, Scaife was the highest rated offensive lineman for Miami in 2019. In addition, Scaife was only faulted for giving up 3 sacks all season - an offensive line that gave up an abysmal 51 sacks. Scaife also allowed only 18 QB pressures at right tackle during 499 pass blocking snaps.

Stick Nelson at guard and see how he responds to Mirabal's teaching. He's not a mauler but has the potential to morph into one with better instruction and added strength.

Last edited:

Oregon + Michigan = Miami

Hopefully?

Advertisement
Back