Josh Newberg Suggests Artie Used Funeral Money for Jewlery

Even if it is the 40k from the gofundme does it matter in the scheme of things. If he signs a rookie contract in the millions or even hundred thousands that 40k is swallowed up in that chunk hes about to be due anyway. Its not like everyone had no idea he was going to the NFL.

I'm pretty sure it is some form of NCAA violation if a gofundme was set up for a student-athlete to spend on bling. But this is one of the reasons UM was controlling this fund. Newberg was trying to passive-aggresively get UM in hot water.

Advertisement
Wow! Josh Newberg is a cumbag. I hope Artie lawyers up and takes all that ***'s money.

Cause the first thing I think of when someone tweets some shady **** is TOTALLY, "Man, what a ***!" I mean, we all know Jews are total pieces of ****, right guys? Why stop at "cumbag" or "****wad" when I can point out what a ******* *** he is?!

Take it easy, carolinacanestein. The man merely stated a fact. Newberg is a ***.

Disrespectful on Josh's account without doubt. But please explain to me why a poor Black guy, before being drafted, knowing his income, no house and with siblings to support would drop 41K on some dumb *** flashy pimp *** jewelry before getting his financial planning in order!!! That's some Nword **** that makes me not feel sorry for their asses when they get suckered and end up back where they started, with nothing.
You answered your own question at 'poor black guy'.

Wow! Josh Newberg is a cumbag. I hope Artie lawyers up and takes all that ***'s money.

Cause the first thing I think of when someone tweets some shady **** is TOTALLY, "Man, what a ***!" I mean, we all know Jews are total pieces of ****, right guys? Why stop at "cumbag" or "****wad" when I can point out what a ******* *** he is?!

Take it easy, carolinacanestein. The man merely stated a fact. Newberg is a ***.

Come on, Franchise. Don't play dumb. I've lived in the South long enough to know that people who are talking trash don't point out--apropos of nothing--that their target is ****** just because they're "merely stating facts".

I'm not Artie's father or advisor and neither are you.

Good thing I wasn't that coworker who's business you meddled in, because when I was 18, I would have told you to go f**k yourself and mind your own business.

Ok. Smart people can go fuq themselves. Hope the jewlery tastes good when he's in his 60s trying to eat them. Oh wait, you can't. Or...even better...put the millions he is going to receive (minus agent fees and taxes of course, probably looking at -50%) into an interest bearing account, wait 6-12 months, then go buy the $40k bling and you still get to keep your millions. Wow.

Stupid right?

Point is, hopefully these young men (whose brains aren't fully developed btw until mid 20s) can receive and heed good advice. Absolutely spend money to make you happy, but it just seems rash and imprudent at this stage in his life. Sadly the optic of the recent gofund me effort only adds to the perception (however wrong those might be)...

Last edited:
Advertisement
That's about what he did, the poor thing. Wasn't long after that he was fired. Maybe he should have taken the good advice instead of thinking he was the smartest guy in the room, at 18 years old.
I'm not Artie's father or advisor and neither are you.

Good thing I wasn't that coworker who's business you meddled in, because when I was 18, I would have told you to go f**k yourself and mind your own business.

Even if it is the 40k from the gofundme does it matter in the scheme of things. If he signs a rookie contract in the millions or even hundred thousands that 40k is swallowed up in that chunk hes about to be due anyway. Its not like everyone had no idea he was going to the NFL.

Remember a good rule of thumb at those income levels...take a $2M contract...-50% in agent fees and tax liability...and you get $1M to actually use...

Still a great income, but these athletes (and forum members), need to understand the actual underlying economics.

Must read

Artie Burns’ agent fires back at TMZ story saying he went on a jewelry run | Canes Watch

I want to kick this guy ***....
Make money off kids,then throw shade on them the first chance he gets

A TMZ story posted early Thursday morning said former Hurricanes cornerback Artie Burns dropped $41,000 on jewelry in a New York City store this week, hoping to look fresh for the NFL Draft.

Those close to Burns say:

“That’s [expletive].”

Those were the words of Melvin Bratton, Burns’ agent and a former Hurricanes running back. He said the celebrity jeweler who spoke to TMZ about Burns’ alleged run, Joe Avianne, had several key details wrong and was looking to capitalize on a marketing opportunity.

TMZ
TMZ
Bratton said Burns, who is shown in a TMZ photo posing with Avianne, did purchase jewelry from him. However, he said Burns did not spend anywhere near the $41,000 total TMZ reported. Avianne told TMZ that Burns “picked up a 2-tone Rolex ($19k), a diamond cross ($3k) and a diamond tennis chain ($19k).”

Bratton didn’t have receipts handy, but said the watch Burns purchased was a used model worth “maybe $5,000.”

Bratton also said Burns made his purchases Feb. 19, not this week.

“That guy’s trying to do some marketing. This time of year people prey on kids,” said Bratton, a longtime NFL personnel man and scout before he earned his agent certification three years ago. “Look at the timing. Every year something like this happens. People try to capitalize.”

In an interview with the Post earlier this month for a story about Burns, Bratton commented how impressed he was that Burns didn’t act recklessly, as some pros-in-waiting do.

“For a kid at 20, he didn’t buy a car,” Bratton said in that interview. “Some potential draftees, they’ll go spend on everything, like a dream, within a four-month period. For a guy who could really use a car, he didn’t get one. He didn’t take out a big line of credit, just enough to maintain. That’s very, very rare.”

Speaking after he learned of the TMZ story:

“He doesn’t have $41,000,” Bratton said. “He doesn’t even have a car.”

Bratton expressed similar disdain when he was informed of comments made by a 247Sports reporter that seemed to insinuate that Burns used money donated by well-wishers to buy jewelry. After Burns’ mother, Dana Smith, died suddenly last October, UM set up a GoFundMe account for fans to donate to help pay for funeral and related expenses. The account swelled past $40,000 in six hours before UM was forced to close it.

On Thursday a reporter for recruiting website 247Sports, Josh Newberg, tweeted a link to the TMZ story and commented that it was, “Odd considering Miami set up a gofundme account that raised 40K for his mothers funeral just 6 months ago.” Newberg continued to tweet with people about the story, many of whom were Hurricanes fans irritated with the perceived insinuation. In several different conversations, Newberg maintained that he might “feel weird” if he donated money to Burns and then saw the TMZ story.

“That’s a dumb-[expletive] comment,” Bratton said, using another choice word to describe Newberg.

Bratton said that account still has some $20,000 left in it – and Burns doesn’t have access to it. UM controls the access.

Newberg later deleted his original post.

“We’re not worried about all this,” Bratton said.

Bratton said Burns will have a small gathering at a family member’s home to celebrate the draft, which begins at 8 p.m. Thursday with first-round coverage. An ESPN camera crew will be there, the Miami Herald reported. Burns is considered by many analysts to be a second-round pick, but could sneak into the first round.

Advertisement
Advertisement

**** YOU *******!!! You're so stupid. For one he isn't ****** and 2nd I have no patience for Anti semetic scumbags who hide behind their computer like you do.

Cause the first thing I think of when someone tweets some shady **** is TOTALLY, "Man, what a ***!" I mean, we all know Jews are total pieces of ****, right guys? Why stop at "cumbag" or "****wad" when I can point out what a ****ing *** he is?!

Even if he was why does that matter?

Advertisement

Cause the first thing I think of when someone tweets some shady **** is TOTALLY, "Man, what a ***!" I mean, we all know Jews are total pieces of ****, right guys? Why stop at "cumbag" or "****wad" when I can point out what a ****ing *** he is?!

It is a fact? Coming from the guy who said Dalvin Cook was coming to Miami when only a total idiot would have thought that when you posted it.

The real scumbags are all the bigots posting antisemitism in this thread.

This Smfh....

So you sensitive chicks think a dude calling a *** a *** is worse than that Morte Christo claiming Artie ripped off a gofundme meant for his dead mom to buy bling? Is that really how sorry this bytch *** country has gotten with its sensitivity?

My bad franchise I COMPLETELY missed the last couple of words that was in the original sentence. I read it wrong

Obviously it was funeral money. Just like the Friday before the draft on my way to class I saw Russell Maryland leaning on a Lexus he'd bought with funeral money. Seriously, where else would a soon-to-be millionaire find $40k?

Newberg is a piece of ****, but it has nothing to do with sensitivity to think those comments about religion are wrong. ******* grow up and leave out those type of comments. For once think about how someone who is a minority thinks when they see them, and tell people them to have thicker skin.

Advertisement
Back