Confirmed Josh Gattis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Jimmy got rid of a bunch of coaches after the UCLA bowl debacle. Eventually, Jimmy had an amazing staff, but his first year was not representative of a great staff.

Because of being National Champs, and the lateness of Howard leaving for the USFL job, JJ was required to keep ALL of Howard's assistant coaches. The staff may have been great under Howard, but Howard's guys did not like JJ, and a few felt they had been "passed over" (Olivadotti was especially ****ed). I believe the only one who left when JJ was hired was Mike Archer, who took a lateral move to LSU to be their DB coach (later promoted to LSU DC, then LSU HC).

At least one long-time UM guy retired after 1984, and several others left and/or were pushed out. JJ had "his guys" from 1985 forward.

Advertisement
Ya wait until the school announces their position. It’s possible both coordinators won’t have a position. I think Gattis will coach WR and Steele won’t have a position responsibility but it all depends on who they can get and how they piece it together as far as WR coach, splitting DB or letting Addae take both, and special teams.

I REALLY like having two DB coaches if we can work it out. Lots of guys, different positions, and it's a good place to put two savage recruiters.

All situations aren't created equally, I'm talking Miami specific (probably have should have been more clear) although it fits other programs as well. Bama/UGA can do what they want because they can just out talent everyone, personally think Bama's style is more effective because of the increased opportunities it creates. I don't think a team like WI should be running tempo bc its not their DNA/recruiting base.

I think the recruiting base at Miami perfectly fits an uptempo offense. I was screaming for 12+ years about our archaic offensive philosophy, prior to Lashlee, not fitting South Florida. End of the day, there are a million ways to win football games, I only speak on what I think is the best opportunity Miami has to win in a big way.
Ok but you say that Miami should run uptempo because they will have the talent advantage in most games but now say Bama/UGA can do what they want because they can out talent people. Which is it? Can Miami out talent teams and needs to run an untempo to take advantage of it or can they do what they want because they can out talent teams.

Advertisement
When, in the history of Miami football, has a first time staff with better credentials been hired? It will ultimately be judged on the field but how can anyone bi tch about the potential with this staff?
Dennis' staff had Lubick and Tubbs from the jump. At least on the defensive side, that's not really beatable.

That said, I think this is probably the most consistently good first-year staff across the board.

I think its a trade off between Michigan's superior O-line and our superior QB. Our O-line did not improve as the season transpired (Gaynor out may have helped) as much as it looked better with TVD because the defense had more to be concerned about and could not dare us to throw as teams did with King.

I just think that personnel is so important, especially at the QB position, that to evaluate OC’s when they are working with different personnel is very hard to do. Its like trying to figure out the best chef even though they are making the same dish with different ingredients. TVD is filet mignon. The QB at Michigan was a skirt steak. Is the chef cooking the filet better, or is it that he is cooking with a filet and the other guy has skirt steak? And if you switch the beef which chef is better, and what would each chef do differently with the different beef?

Too many variables for us to know for sure how this will work out, but I am hopeful because Gattis turned the skirt steak into a very good meal.

I don’t disagree w/ u, but even w/ that being said I’m sure what u’re trying to rebut in my post. Lol. The only thing I see u maybe rebutting is my opinion of us not winning 10+ games w/ a new staff. The only reason why I feel that way b/c data supports.

Ok but you say that Miami should run uptempo because they will have the talent advantage in most games but now say Bama/UGA can do what they want because they can out talent people. Which is it? Can Miami out talent teams and needs to run an untempo to take advantage of it or can they do what they want because they can out talent teams.
A little of both. The stuff hits the fan when elite teams play another elite talent. It requires a better game plan. In the SEC that can happen a little more often than elsewhere, but sooner or later, even teams with great talent are also going to need a better mousetrap. That's when you find out that even 12 -2 teams ain't good enough without the hardware. By the way, TAMU is officially on the clock.

Advertisement
Dennis' staff had Lubick and Tubbs from the jump. At least on the defensive side, that's not really beatable.

That said, I think this is probably the most consistently good first-year staff across the board.

I think everyone is looking at this retrospectively. Jimmy and Dennis' staffs went on to do great things, but on Day 1, I think Mario's staff is probably the best one we've ever hired. Hopefully these guys all go on to accomplish even greater things and we can look back on this staff the same way.

I've already pointed this out, but the Stats Bros are going to be stubborn.

The number of plays per game, as a stat, is misleading and fairly undifferentiated. Over one-third of all Division I-A teams are within a 5-play spread (70-75 offensive plays per game). The #1 team in the country was Wake, at 81 plays per game. The #130 team in the country was K-State, who ran 58 plays per game. That is 23 plays worth of difference for the most extreme outliers, though 85% of the teams fell within a tighter range of 65-78, or about 13 plays of differential.

As I mentioned, the key factor is how quickly a team huddles/doesn't-huddle and gets to the line, as well as keeping offensive personnel sets on the field for multiple plays. This is what keeps the defense from substituting/rotating.

But the hardheads are going to try to focus on an overly-simplistic, easy-to-digest numerical statistic. Any idiot who thinks that an offensive team ABSOLUTELY WEARS OUT THE OPPOSING DEFENSE BY RUNNING AN EXTRA 5 PLAYS PER GAME is just too dense for an honest discussion.

If you want to keep a defense off-balance, you get lined up as quickly as possibly, prevent subsitutions, and force the opposing DC and his team to communicate rapidly and on-the-fly about what formations to run. Five extra plays per game is not changing anything. I don't think I've ever seen a football team play amazing defense for 70 plays, and then in the final 5 plays of the game, they completely fall apart...

Also, let's not forget a good defense should increase your time of possession and # of offensive plays. We've been in so many close games (that shouldn't have been) recently that it's easy to overlook. And you're right, 5 extra plays per game shouldn't hurt...unless a couple go for TDs. LOL

Advertisement
You really think so? Then I guess you're not as good at stats as you pretend to be.

Some stats are more reliable and better at predicting things than other stats are. And regardless of that, we always need to understand them and be able to use actual gameplay and outcomes as the ultimate determinant.

It's an interesting conversation, but ultimately, I don't give a ****e how many plays we run, I care about whether we are pressing the defense by limiting their ability to substitute/rotate, and I care that Gattis's offense at Michigan last year had BOTH one of the most explosive results (plays over 50 yards) coupled with the one that resulted in one of the lowest "negative play" ratios.

That's a stat that means something. Efficiency in yardage-gained and scoring when you have the ball. Not "how many plays you run", and whether you run 3 or 4 extra plays each game.
Can I get 4 more paragraphs arguing with me over things I never said and was never part of the original conversation you jumped in on? Thanks

Also, let's not forget a good defense should increase your time of possession and # of offensive plays. We've been in so many close games (that shouldn't have been) recently that it's easy to overlook. And you're right, 5 extra plays per game shouldn't hurt...unless a couple go for TDs. LOL

Yes. Which is why I focused on Gattis' (2021) ratio of very good plays and very bad plays. Whether we squeeze out five extra plays per game or not, I'd rather have more big-gainer plays and fewer "ran the wrong play for the situation/defense and it blew up" plays.

Get up to the line. Look over the defense. Look over to the sidelines. And then run a play that gashes the defense.

Advertisement
Get up to the line. Look over the defense. Look over to the sidelines. And then run a play that gashes the defense.

And that play will come from the booth...as he surveys it all. Alignment, substitutions, gaps, etc.

I quoted Mario’s interview where he laid out his vision for the offense. It doesn't get any clearer than that. So, looking at Michigan and trying to extrapolate their offense to what Mario wants doesn't serve a purpose. It's the HC's decision on what he wants. Mario's not Harbaugh. He quoted Alabama's offense not Michigan's.
Reread the first and last sentences in my post…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back