Confirmed Josh Gattis

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Good coaches can do things that best fits the personnel,’’ Enos said.

“You can call it the “Spread Coast” or whatever you want to call it. We’ll get the personnel in here and figure out what we have, and then we’re going to hopefully get very creative in how we get them the ball.”

Learn your lesson with me, fellow Canes.

Wait and see.
That’s it!!! Done deal we’re fooooked gents!!!! Good job What the **** for exposing this awful hire…

Advertisement
“Good coaches can do things that best fits the personnel,’’ Enos said.

“You can call it the “Spread Coast” or whatever you want to call it. We’ll get the personnel in here and figure out what we have, and then we’re going to hopefully get very creative in how we get them the ball.”

Learn your lesson with me, fellow Canes.

Wait and see.
bobs burgers grasping at straws GIF

What OC would you have liked that wouldn't have put you in the "wait and see mode"?
Briles would be a good example. Not saying I would have preferred Briles, just that he is a much more proven commodity and runs an offensive style that is more immediately suited to our talent.

Building an elite OL takes time. I expect our 23 class will be our best OL class in the last 20 years but that means it will be 2025 before that group has real depth and alphas have learned from alphas. I much rather us play to our strengths and that means having our offense transition over time.

Advertisement
I dont want to use UGAs offense as an example because their best WR left for the school they beat in the title game (Jermaine Burton) and turned should have been 1st round pick WR George Pickens into Dee Wiggins. (stole that from someone on here. lol). So they are a horrible example of an offense I want to mimick.

But im all for looking at Bama and Ohio State as power spread offenses that run the ball but still air it out. The RBs and WRs all go 1st round in this scheme. So everyone is happy and every eats.. Its not one or the other.

Building an elite OL takes time. I expect our 23 class will be our best OL class in the last 20 years but that means it will be 2025 before that group has real depth and alphas have learned from alphas. I much rather us play to our strengths and that means having our offense transition over time.
Again, where do you think we're going with a mediocre OL? And we should run some offense tailored to forever having a mediocre OL? And why are you convinced Gattis won't "transition over time?" Which OC that we didn't hire specializes in that specifically?

The best part of that entire story was I personally probably couldn't think of a worse professional athlete (maybe Rae Carruth- too soon?) to have tried to pull that with. Ol' Jags is a lifelong childless bachelor that probably got a vasectomy like 25 years ago. Not to mention that he has the personality to not even care if someone DID have leverage on him in a blackmail/extortion situation. Short of his parents being in physical danger that dude would just laugh in your face.
The only way that works is if he has a wife that could take him to the cleaners in a divorce or if he has made a living selling to people he is some uber religious guy like Tebow. Single athelete having *** with a woman being exposed is not something he is going to care if it gets out otherwise. **** he was probably like hey guys look at what I banged last night.

Advertisement
So to recap:

Mario: we are going to adjust our offense to fit our personnel

Gattis: I’m going to adjust my offense to fit our personnel. I like to go fast and have more explosive plays than anyone

People that work with Gattis: he adjusts his offense to fit his personnel

Miami fans: **** this guy he runs pro style
YEP! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I dont want to use UGAs offense as an example because their best WR left for the school they beat in the title game (Jermaine Burton) and turned should have been 1st round pick WR George Pickens into Dee Wiggins. (stole that from someone on here. lol). So they are a horrible example of an offense I want to mimick.
The way UGA used their TEs though (in 2021) I would certainly like to emulate.
They were phenomenal.

Advertisement
Again, where do you think we're going with a mediocre OL? And we should run some offense tailored to forever having a mediocre OL? And why are you convinced Gattis won't "transition over time?" Which OC that we didn't hire specializes in that specifically?
Our OL is currently mediocre and that takes time to build. I am confident that Mario will recruit this position well but this is the one position that typically needs development for a year or two. We should have hired an OC that fit the personnel we have now and when that person leaves in two years then hire a coordinator that fits our new mold. Briles, and Spencer Whipple come to find and I am sure there are other options. The bottom line is we don't have the talent to run Josh's offense so unless he drastically changes then I see a long season.

But im all for looking at Bama and Ohio State as power spread offenses that run the ball but still air it out. The RBs and WRs all go 1st round in this scheme. So everyone is happy and every eats.. Its not one or the other.
The whole "UgA WoN tHe ChAmPiOnShIp" argument for their offense is probably one of the stupider ones I've seen here. And I've seen a lot of stupid arguments here.

UGA won a championship with a generational defense and an offense that was just good enough. It also helped that Alabama was missing two 1,000 yard receivers in the championship game.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say our offense will most likely be similar to Mike Locksley's 2018 Bama offense (Gattis was WR coach on that team).
Maybe not quite matching that ridiculous level of production from that All Star team but similar in style.

Advertisement
there's some really simplistic and reductive arguments being made in this thread.

one is that running the ball is old school and passing the ball is modern. any good college coordinator will run the ball all day long if they're able to. Jeff Lebby, Kendall Briles, and Josh Heupel are the three main Briles disciples currently calling plays in the P5 and all of those teams leaned on the run very heavily. dividing college teams into "run plays" and "pass plays" is a bit deceptive because sacks are counted as QB runs in college, but go look at Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Tennessee's stats. Ole Miss had three backs over 500 yards plus its QB over 600 yards. Arkansas had three backs over 500 yards plus its QB over 600 yards. Tennessee had two backs over 500 yards plus its QB over 600 yards. by comparison, Michigan had a back over 1,300 yards and a back over 900 yards, so they got more or less the same production just less spread out.

and if you want to break down the 2021 run/pass splits of those four teams, you wouldn't know who was running what system:

Michigan: 575 runs, 395 passes
Tennessee: 577 runs, 376 passes
Arkansas: 588 runs, 314 passes
Ole Mis: 588 runs, 429 passes

Gattis and the Briles guys are running different offenses, but they got to the same place regardless. all four coordinators understand that if you can run the ball, you should run the ball. here is a quote from Rhett Lashlee when he took over the Miami job, tell me if you think it's essentially the same description that Mario gives of his "balanced" offense

“I believe in balance. You’ve got to run it and throw it. I’ve always believed that you’ve got to run the ball to win, but you’ve got to throw the ball to score. It’s a fancy way to say balanced."

so, let's get past this idea that running the ball is "smash mouth" and "old school" and passing the ball is "modern." if you can run the ball in college you're going to run the ball. Michigan, Ole Miss.... doesn't matter.

there's also this idea across this thread that the Air Raid and Briles offenses are modern or innovative. the Air Raid, at this point, is an old school offense, and systems that haven't evolved past the Air Raid are being left in the dust. Mike Leach is running the same plays he did in 2002 and as such Mississippi State is nobody's idea of a dangerous offense. the same thing is happening to Kliff Kingsbury in the NFL, and happened to a certain extent with Graham Harrell at USC, who was decent at best there.

the best offenses these days are running blends of things. neither Lincoln Riley or Ryan Day run Air Raid or Briles system offenses. they're both running spread-to-run offenses that design explosive passing plays off the run game. Josh Gattis had more or less the same philosophy at Michigan, except it was dressed up in more condensed, pro style formations. you could make the argument that Gattis' blended system is actually far more "modern" than the Briles offense, which works because it takes advantage of the college hashmarks but hasn't evolved or innovated much in the last decade, beyond an increase usage of RPOs, which basically everyone is doing.

as for running an offense that fits Miami's personnel, everyone is focusing on the OL and run game. but let's talk about the pass game. one thing that I like about Gattis' 2021 offense is that, contrary to the Briles system, he spread the ball around significantly. if you go look at Tennessee, Ole Miss, and Arkansas receiving stats, you'll notice that they lean heavily on just a few pass catchers. Lashlee did much of the same thing last year, which made sense given Rambo and Harley's experience. this year, our returning receiver (Key Smith) totaled only 405 yards. unless Jacolby George and Romello Brinson develop rapidly, we don't have obvious outside the hash receiver threats beyond Smith, which is really what the Briles offense is based on. where the current roster is strong is at TE, RB, and smallish receivers, which is far closer to how Gattis ran his offense last year. I actually think we need a coach who can design explosive passing plays instead of just relying on the QBs and WRs to win on go balls over and over the way that TVD and Rambo did last year. we have the QB to do that again, but I'm not sure we have the WRs yet. (Gattis will also throw deep plenty, just ask Nico Collins and Ronnie Bell).

Last edited:
The Gattis hire is obviously a big boy move and I'm VERY excited to see how it unfolds.

There's a lot of discussion aiming to understand what does Gattis' offense look like. I don't think we'll have a clear answer on that front (aside from general characterizations such as "Power Spread") because Gattis seems like someone who is adaptable and has worked within frameworks established by the HC and OCs he's worked with, while refining them and ultimately executing them through playcalling on gameday.

So, I think the real question is "What will the offense that Gattis designs for Miami look like when structured for the the unique context of the Miami program and Cristobal's mandates."

I believe the best way to assess this is to look at Mario's time at Alabama (2013-2016) and Gattis' time at Alabama (2018).

Mario was at Alabama when Nick Saban brought in Lane Kiffin to modernize the offense from a plodding ground and pound pro style to one that incorporates modern spread and tempo concepts. So he was there to witness, install, and help coach up this transformation. Gattis was Co-OC and WR Coach at Alabama in 2018 (under Locksley as OC) when the transformational work that was started by Kiffin/Saban at Alabama basically went nuclear.

I enjoyed reading the following article to get a little more background/understanding as to this transformative period for Alabama's offense which both our HC and OC were a part of (and surely took A LOT from):

Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin and the year that changed Alabama football forever

The following are some tidbits from the article of particular note:

I believe the bolded is a core element of Mario's approach at Miami. He wants to emulate Alabama at a programmatic level, which includes approach to offensive scheming. I like to think (hope) that it doesn't mean he will simply try to run Alabama's offense without having all of the monsters Bama has to make it work, but moreso run a tailored offense that will always prioritize having a run game that you can turn to while still seeking to ultimately be as explosive as possible using modern spread concepts.

This excerpt about Saban's annual coaching clinic and his sit down sessions with all the coaches that come through makes me think of Mario's extensive hiring process. I want to hope that he has prioritized doing a capable job of learning from the concepts and philosophies of each of the coaches he sat down with. I also want to hope that Gattis will seek to bring the best of the offensive philosophies and schemes he has worked with throughout his career.

With that being said, one of the key concerns with bringing an offense that is less systemic in nature is it being prone to get too complex and too multiple to the point that it lacks identity, and even worse, becomes too complicated for college kids operating within NCAA restrictions on practice/prep time to master in year 1. If it's a system that takes 2-3 years for the offense to hum than that is a real concern. I think this concern aligns with many who wanted an Air Raid based offense for us--with Air Raid there's a more easily adoptable system that works at the college level.

This is something that I HOPE Gattis, Cristobal, and the offensive staff prioritize--make sure the playbook and system does not become overly burdensome, and as a result, ineffective. From my vantage point, what pro style really means to me is endless complexity and options for what an offense runs.

Enter Gattis. Mario was present and involved in the process for the evolution of the offense and Gattis was present and involved in the process of the offense taking a peak form. This was after Gattis worked as Passing Game Coordinator at Penn State where Joe Moorhead (OC) led the PSU offense to be one of the best in the country in 2017.

Of course, after Alabama Gattis has most recently been in Michigan where he was the OC but working under a HC with an offensive focus. Michigan had their best season under Gattis this past year of course. Some have made a lot of the fact that Harbaugh brought in a QB coach from the Baltimore Ravens system to help further develop their run concepts. I think it's a great thing that Gattis was able to oversee and implement an increasingly sophisticated running attack.

My hope is that Gattis can build off of each of his experiences, and in partnership with Cristobal, Mirabal (legitimately one of the best OL coaches in the nation IMO), and the rest of the staff (would be bad *** if Gattis can bring Sherrone Moore as TE coach/run game coordinator) develop the blue prints for what Miami's offense under Cristobal will look like. With that hope is also a hope that it will be ever evolving and refined by all the coaches that come through while remaining true to core principles and identity.
Great post and what I am banking on also, I also like that Gattis realized that gamebreaking speed was also a HUGE component that changes great offenses to something ELITE.. See that was something he was recruiting for also in Mich to try to bring his vision to fruition, I think and hope he has an easier and quicker try at doing the same down here. We need to turn miami to that fastest destination in America, where the fastest players come to play..

Also want to add our new RB coach has been with Kiffin in recent years and should bring whatever evolution that has continued on his end to the table also, whether it be run game stuff or offense overall.. Kiffin/Lebby was running at lightening speed this passed season..

Not trying to be a downer but isn't he kind of bro style? I wasn't really impressed with the plan of attack against Georgia (they weren't going to win either way, not saying that) but that's all I've really seen of him honestly.
So liked Briles better. The 156 total yards that the pork chops gained against UGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back