Confirmed Josh Gattis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I think he and Steele are both going to be ‘walk-around’ coordinators without position responsibility. The school announcing their titles will clear that up. Rumor is we are still going to hire a LB coach and a WR coach. Meaning whoever coaches DB will have the full unit
Love this man

I think he and Steele are both going to be ‘walk-around’ coordinators without position responsibility. The school announcing their titles will clear that up. Rumor is we are still going to hire a LB coach and a WR coach. Meaning whoever coaches DB will have the full unit
Who would get STs?

q
any chance Sherrone Moore comes with Gattis to coach TEs?

Advertisement
Wow Mario really out here flexing with these staff hires

Wow Mario really out here flexing with these staff hires
Yep.. both being walk around coordinators obviously depend on who they could get to pair at DB/WR or how they want to handle special teams. If there’s a high profile guy that wants to coach WR they’ll go that route.

I think Steele will be a walk around guy for sure.

I think its a trade off between Michigan's superior O-line and our superior QB. Our O-line did not improve as the season transpired (Gaynor out may have helped) as much as it looked better with TVD because the defense had more to be concerned about and could not dare us to throw as teams did with King.

I just think that personnel is so important, especially at the QB position, that to evaluate OC’s when they are working with different personnel is very hard to do. Its like trying to figure out the best chef even though they are making the same dish with different ingredients. TVD is filet mignon. The QB at Michigan was a skirt steak. Is the chef cooking the filet better, or is it that he is cooking with a filet and the other guy has skirt steak? And if you switch the beef which chef is better, and what would each chef do differently with the different beef?

Too many variables for us to know for sure how this will work out, but I am hopeful because Gattis turned the skirt steak into a very good meal.

My wife was just bltching the other day about the price of skirt steak, so I don’t know about this example. 😉

Advertisement
Why you lying bro?

Michigan was 65th in country in plays per game this year.

Is it too much to ask you for some context to your misleading stats? Lots of teams run between 70-75 plays per game.

Michigan was 65th with 70.3 plays per game in 2021. If they ran ONE MORE PLAY per game, they jump to 55th. With TWO MORE PLAYS per game, they jump to 42nd. THREE MORE PLAYS per game puts them at 35th. FOUR MORE PLAYS per game puts them at 29th.

Given that Michigan was ahead in most games, it is very easy to envision that they might have played some conservative "run-out-the-clock" football in the 4th quarter.

For comparative purposes, Georgia ranked 119th. Cincinnati ranked 123rd. Of the CFP teams, only Bama ranked higher (12th).

Miami ranked 24th.

Miami had 5 plays more per game. Miami finished 7-5, Michigan finished 12-2.

Maybe, JUST MAYBE, Gattis is right in the ballpark. 5 more plays per game is not crazy impossible.

I would argue a mouth-breathing simpleton would make a baseless argument or think that 65th in the country equals “near the top of the country”, or would start bashing people who actually use facts as a basis for their opinion

Just stop with the worthless stats.

The highest-ranked two teams in the country in this statistical category ran 81 offensive plays per game.

There were FOURTY-FIVE teams that ran between 70 and 75 offensive plays per game.

This is not the biggest gap in the world. If you saw the year-over-year deviations by team, you would not even be worried about this "stat".

I don't care about this stat as much as I care about whether the offense can keep the same personnel on the field, thus limiting defensive substitutions. I don't care if the QB stares at the sideline for 20 seconds each play, as long as we get the play right and limit the opposing defense rotating in fresh players.

Advertisement
So they give the Broyles awards to the coach most likely to be fired?

Also, if other porsters are to be believed, just because they beat Ohio Taint too...

Low standards for these Broyle Award recipients, huh?

Honest question:

Will you guys be happy when TVD's opportunities and production are down next year?

Honest question:

Will you be happy when TVD's opportunities and production are up next year because, on kickoffs and punts, we take a knee at our own 1 yard line every single time?

It's a nice hire PR wise to steal their OC, but other than that I'm not a huge fan of the hire given both our current personnel and primary recruiting location.

I'm watching their highlights and this dude has a fullback/H back whatever in the backfield very often. They're running a lot of heavy pistol stuff with TEs packed on the LOS. Caveman shlt.

Unless Mario decides to abandon his offensive philosophy he's had for years and directs him to run something else, or Gattis has some secret modern spread he's been saving, it seems like a regression for our program in terms of offensive philosophy. We finally found a QB and joined the world of modern offenses, only to decide to break all of our cellphones and laptops and head back to the Bronze Age?

His resume is also pretty thin:

Gattis' total offensive rankings as an OC:

We finally have an elite QB that should throw the ball a lot. We don't have access to the quality of OL that Michigan does. I'm hoping we see some shocking shift in philosophy, but I doubt it.

If he brings his Michigan offense here, we're fvcked.

Oh, and you know who else won a Broyles Award? Randy Shannon.

I do hope what MI ran was more Harbaugh input less Gattis. Gattis sounds like he has a much more up tempo spread philosophy.

Advertisement
Moving to Miami could potentially pay huge dividends for Gattis next year. I expect Ohio States defense to be drastically improved next year. If Michigan struggles against Gattis departure and value will be viewed completely differently at that point. We probably don't keep Gattis longer than 2 years anyway but could be 1 year in that scenario.

Is it too much to ask you for some context to your misleading stats? Lots of teams run between 70-75 plays per game.

Michigan was 65th with 70.3 plays per game in 2021. If they ran ONE MORE PLAY per game, they jump to 55th. With TWO MORE PLAYS per game, they jump to 42nd. THREE MORE PLAYS per game puts them at 35th. FOUR MORE PLAYS per game puts them at 29th.

Given that Michigan was ahead in most games, it is very easy to envision that they might have played some conservative "run-out-the-clock" football in the 4th quarter.

For comparative purposes, Georgia ranked 119th. Cincinnati ranked 123rd. Of the CFP teams, only Bama ranked higher (12th).

Miami ranked 24th.

Miami had 5 plays more per game. Miami finished 7-5, Michigan finished 12-2.

Maybe, JUST MAYBE, Gattis is right in the ballpark. 5 more plays per game is not crazy impossible.
Looking at Michigan offensive stats is not worth much if anything. We are not Michigan. The OC calls a game that the HC wants. Harbaugh went back to his run first power run game the way he did at Stanford. You forget that Gattis helped implement Alabama's power spread offense. We're not Alabama either, but I expect our offense to look more like Bama and less like Michigan.

Mario made it clear that his vision of the offense will be a high power spread that can go fast or milk the clock. I think he brilliantly sent a message to recruits when he said in an interview:
"running a balanced attack that features a power run game and an explosive passing game like Alabama. “Taking the steps to be an explosive and efficient offense that plays with physicality while taking advantage of all the explosive players that live in South Florida.

Mario understands what it takes to win at the highest level. He also knows the type of elite talent available at the "skilled" positions in South Florida. After all, he helped recruit a lot of them to Alabama.

Michigan is something else. SMH. **** is crazy how people try to **** you over when you don’t things there way anymore.
8305B7E5-89AF-41A5-8D39-9723CA02A2E4.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back