Confirmed Josh Gattis

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching a few of Michigan's games, you can see how Harbaugh forces some of his concepts into this offense. Gattis has alot of the stuff you saw Bama running during his time then you get the random 2 or 3 back stuff with a traditional fullback in the gun. Looks goofy lol

I would expect Gattis to run an offense that looks more like Lashlee's in formation but much more creative in the run game (provided we improve up front).
I don’t pretend to be an expert on Michigan football but I do remember there being this big deal when Gattis got hired because he was going to modernize the offense. Then once they started playing, Michigan fans were upset that Harbaugh was supposedly handcuffing him and keeping things conservative. I really hope that’s was the case. If you watch the offense from his first two seasons at Michigan it’s not inspiring. I don’t want us to have to wait until we have the best line in America just to be able to move the ball. I really hope he has a bit more freedom here.

Advertisement
Prior to the start of the Mich game, Bama had just handily beat the consensus #1 team in the nation on a neutral field. Bama was going to be #1 no matter how many points Mich would have scored. And it was definitely 100% certain they would stay ahead of ND. No way would the Domers with their weak SOS have jumped Mich unless they lost. So the last minute of the game where Mich had it 1st and G, up 35-3, they punched it in for a TD because they thought a 32 point margin of victory was insufficient to ensure ND wouldn't leapfrog them???
When it comes to subjectivity in a room filled with observers nothing is 100%. Which is why I understand them trying to put up as many points as they can.
True, In your mind and in my mind Bama was going to be #1 no matter what BUT the media at FOX were not as sure and even some at ESPN/ABC during the Pitt game that was going on simultaneously said Michigan could be #1.

Optically, this looks like a BIG TIME hire! I love that! That said, I'm in wait and see mode with Gattis. Need to see him prove it on the field. At this moment, I have more confidence that Steele will be successful here as compared to Gattis. I think our success on offense is going to be highly dependent on whether Cristobal and Mirabal are successful at building a legit OL. That's proven to be a difficult thing to do at Miami, but if these two guys can't do it, then I don't think anyone can.

Optically, this looks like a BIG TIME hire! I love that! That said, I'm in wait and see mode with Gattis. Need to see him prove it on the field. At this moment, I have more confidence that Steele will be successful here as compared to Gattis. I think our success on offense is going to be highly dependent on whether Cristobal and Mirabal are successful at building a legit OL. That's proven to be a difficult thing to do at Miami, but if these two guys can't do it, then I don't think anyone can.
it's most dependant on mario not meddling in the offensive play calling and getting super conservative too early. it's the biggest gripe that i had with him when he was at oregon. hopefully he can change that.

Did mario get hired to pad TVD's stats or to win football games?

I can tell you don't have a full understanding of the offense that Gattis even runs based on your comments

So I guess you're thinking we should hire mike leach and go full air raid and finish the season 7-6?
His problem is called blacklash. He's not the only one. Just follow the conspiracy theory comments.

Advertisement
What OC would you have liked that wouldn't have put you in the "wait and see mode"?

lmao, I can't believe some people actually found a way to find a negative in hiring the best assistant in the country :pgdead:

Who hurt yall
Fckn blacklash man. That and these stupid ignorant conspiracy theories that they try to hide behind. Fckn cowards

View attachment 176768

View attachment 176769

giphy.gif
Lol @DiegoCane is experiencing a serious case of blacklash

What OC would you have liked that wouldn't have put you in the "wait and see mode"?
Im waiting to jump on any poster who says Kendal Briles. Jesus christ, he should send this site 10% of his raise because he was made out to be a God on here for a good month. I thought we were getting the 2004 version of Norm Chow if you let them tell it

Advertisement
Advertisement
The Gattis hire is obviously a big boy move and I'm VERY excited to see how it unfolds.

There's a lot of discussion aiming to understand what does Gattis' offense look like. I don't think we'll have a clear answer on that front (aside from general characterizations such as "Power Spread") because Gattis seems like someone who is adaptable and has worked within frameworks established by the HC and OCs he's worked with, while refining them and ultimately executing them through playcalling on gameday.

So, I think the real question is "What will the offense that Gattis designs for Miami look like when structured for the the unique context of the Miami program and Cristobal's mandates."

I believe the best way to assess this is to look at Mario's time at Alabama (2013-2016) and Gattis' time at Alabama (2018).

Mario was at Alabama when Nick Saban brought in Lane Kiffin to modernize the offense from a plodding ground and pound pro style to one that incorporates modern spread and tempo concepts. So he was there to witness, install, and help coach up this transformation. Gattis was Co-OC and WR Coach at Alabama in 2018 (under Locksley as OC) when the transformational work that was started by Kiffin/Saban at Alabama basically went nuclear.

I enjoyed reading the following article to get a little more background/understanding as to this transformative period for Alabama's offense which both our HC and OC were a part of (and surely took A LOT from):

Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin and the year that changed Alabama football forever

The following are some tidbits from the article of particular note:

But for the full story of how Alabama transitioned from ground-and-pound, game-manager-QB Alabama to high-flying, first-round-QBs-and-Heisman-winning-receiver Alabama, you have to start at the beginning, when the sport's most accomplished head coach took a chance on the game's most controversial.

"I remember him saying, 'I feel like our offense is a Lamborghini, but it's headed off a cliff,' meaning we've got these great players, but are behind the times in what we're doing," said Kiffin, recalling their first meeting after he was hired. "So we needed to change directions."

"People think you go there because it's coaching rehab and you get a head job somewhere else," Kiffin told ESPN earlier this week. "I guess that's one way to approach it, and some people do. But for me, I look back at all of the things I learned under [Saban] that made me a better coach despite everything that's been said about our time together and any differences we might have had."
I believe the bolded is a core element of Mario's approach at Miami. He wants to emulate Alabama at a programmatic level, which includes approach to offensive scheming. I like to think (hope) that it doesn't mean he will simply try to run Alabama's offense without having all of the monsters Bama has to make it work, but moreso run a tailored offense that will always prioritize having a run game that you can turn to while still seeking to ultimately be as explosive as possible using modern spread concepts.

But this wouldn't be a simple course correction. Because while Saban wanted to implement the spread and use more tempo, Kiffin had very little history of doing either. At Tennessee and USC, he had run a similar pro-style attack as Alabama.
"He researched all that stuff and we'd go over it," Saban said. "... So I was kinda learning it from him, and he was learning it from other people."

For much of the next two years, Kiffin did his homework on those coaches and teams running up-tempo offenses with run-pass elements (RPOs). He paid careful attention to what Steve Sarkisian, whom he worked with at USC, was doing as head coach at Washington, racking up more than 600 total yards of offense in a game five times during the 2013 season.

Thompson said Briles' attendance was no coincidence.

"There's not a coach that comes to a clinic that Nick doesn't sit down with individually and talk to and the coaches on the offensive and defensive side of the ball talk to those guys, too," Thompson said. "Every coach from another program, every coach that's brought in for an interview, is brought in for a purpose."

That purpose: "To gain new information."
This excerpt about Saban's annual coaching clinic and his sit down sessions with all the coaches that come through makes me think of Mario's extensive hiring process. I want to hope that he has prioritized doing a capable job of learning from the concepts and philosophies of each of the coaches he sat down with. I also want to hope that Gattis will seek to bring the best of the offensive philosophies and schemes he has worked with throughout his career.

With that being said, one of the key concerns with bringing an offense that is less systemic in nature is it being prone to get too complex and too multiple to the point that it lacks identity, and even worse, becomes too complicated for college kids operating within NCAA restrictions on practice/prep time to master in year 1. If it's a system that takes 2-3 years for the offense to hum than that is a real concern. I think this concern aligns with many who wanted an Air Raid based offense for us--with Air Raid there's a more easily adoptable system that works at the college level.

That was no accident. Thompson said that during the lead up to the season, Kiffin shortened the terminology of plays, cutting 10-word calls in half in order to make things easier for everyone to understand, and Sims responded by passing for more yards (3,487) than anybody in the history of Alabama football had passed for to that point.

Whereas the year before the playbook was the size of a novel, Kelly said, it was suddenly condensed into a single chapter.
This is something that I HOPE Gattis, Cristobal, and the offensive staff prioritize--make sure the playbook and system does not become overly burdensome, and as a result, ineffective. From my vantage point, what pro style really means to me is endless complexity and options for what an offense runs.

"Everybody says that I go through so many guys on offense," Saban said. "Look, I learn from all of them. We went through a transformation when Lane was here ... intentionally. It was intentional. I wanted to, and he wanted to, too, and we've continued to build."

When Kiffin left, Alabama's offense only got scarier under future offensive coordinators Mike Locksley and Sarkisian. The program produced first-round quarterbacks in Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones, who put up record-setting numbers when throwing to game-breaking, first-round receivers like Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs III, Jaylen Waddle and last year's Heisman winner, DeVonta Smith.

Enter Gattis. Mario was present and involved in the process for the evolution of the offense and Gattis was present and involved in the process of the offense taking a peak form. This was after Gattis worked as Passing Game Coordinator at Penn State where Joe Moorhead (OC) led the PSU offense to be one of the best in the country in 2017.

Of course, after Alabama Gattis has most recently been in Michigan where he was the OC but working under a HC with an offensive focus. Michigan had their best season under Gattis this past year of course. Some have made a lot of the fact that Harbaugh brought in a QB coach from the Baltimore Ravens system to help further develop their run concepts. I think it's a great thing that Gattis was able to oversee and implement an increasingly sophisticated running attack.

My hope is that Gattis can build off of each of his experiences, and in partnership with Cristobal, Mirabal (legitimately one of the best OL coaches in the nation IMO), and the rest of the staff (would be bad *** if Gattis can bring Sherrone Moore as TE coach/run game coordinator) develop the blue prints for what Miami's offense under Cristobal will look like. With that hope is also a hope that it will be ever evolving and refined by all the coaches that come through while remaining true to core principles and identity.

Offense is similar to moorehead they have a connection when they were at penn state…Michigans offense was mixed with the ravens heavy personnel power run scheme. I assume he gets rid of the ravens stuff and open up more cause that doesn’t fit us at all. I hope we look like 2018 bama or even the penn state/oregon moorehead stuff more than the Michigan stuff.

When the mario rumors got serious mid season i wasn’t against bringing moorehead here, I really liked some of the stuff they ran but there qb just wasted it all and the offense looked dumbed down. My mindset with bringing that style of offense is we should bring in someone with an air raid or a briles background as a pass game coordinator like likens to fit with tvd. Maybe we can get someone like that as a qb coach and bring in an analyst/QC.

Overall I like the hire but im in a wait n see mode, need to see the adjustment to our weapons.
Wasnt Van Dyke recruited by Enos?

Advertisement
I think he and Steele are both going to be ‘walk-around’ coordinators without position responsibility. The school announcing their titles will clear that up. Rumor is we are still going to hire a LB coach and a WR coach. Meaning whoever coaches DB will have the full unit

The Gattis hire is obviously a big boy move and I'm VERY excited to see how it unfolds.

There's a lot of discussion aiming to understand what does Gattis' offense look like. I don't think we'll have a clear answer on that front (aside from general characterizations such as "Power Spread") because Gattis seems like someone who is adaptable and has worked within frameworks established by the HC and OCs he's worked with, while refining them and ultimately executing them through playcalling on gameday.

So, I think the real question is "What will the offense that Gattis designs for Miami look like when structured for the the unique context of the Miami program and Cristobal's mandates."

I believe the best way to assess this is to look at Mario's time at Alabama (2013-2016) and Gattis' time at Alabama (2018).

Mario was at Alabama when Nick Saban brought in Lane Kiffin to modernize the offense from a plodding ground and pound pro style to one that incorporates modern spread and tempo concepts. So he was there to witness, install, and help coach up this transformation. Gattis was Co-OC and WR Coach at Alabama in 2018 (under Locksley as OC) when the transformational work that was started by Kiffin/Saban at Alabama basically went nuclear.

I enjoyed reading the following article to get a little more background/understanding as to this transformative period for Alabama's offense which both our HC and OC were a part of (and surely took A LOT from):

Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin and the year that changed Alabama football forever

The following are some tidbits from the article of particular note:

I believe the bolded is a core element of Mario's approach at Miami. He wants to emulate Alabama at a programmatic level, which includes approach to offensive scheming. I like to think (hope) that it doesn't mean he will simply try to run Alabama's offense without having all of the monsters Bama has to make it work, but moreso run a tailored offense that will always prioritize having a run game that you can turn to while still seeking to ultimately be as explosive as possible using modern spread concepts.

This excerpt about Saban's annual coaching clinic and his sit down sessions with all the coaches that come through makes me think of Mario's extensive hiring process. I want to hope that he has prioritized doing a capable job of learning from the concepts and philosophies of each of the coaches he sat down with. I also want to hope that Gattis will seek to bring the best of the offensive philosophies and schemes he has worked with throughout his career.

With that being said, one of the key concerns with bringing an offense that is less systemic in nature is it being prone to get too complex and too multiple to the point that it lacks identity, and even worse, becomes too complicated for college kids operating within NCAA restrictions on practice/prep time to master in year 1. If it's a system that takes 2-3 years for the offense to hum than that is a real concern. I think this concern aligns with many who wanted an Air Raid based offense for us--with Air Raid there's a more easily adoptable system that works at the college level.

This is something that I HOPE Gattis, Cristobal, and the offensive staff prioritize--make sure the playbook and system does not become overly burdensome, and as a result, ineffective. From my vantage point, what pro style really means to me is endless complexity and options for what an offense runs.

Enter Gattis. Mario was present and involved in the process for the evolution of the offense and Gattis was present and involved in the process of the offense taking a peak form. This was after Gattis worked as Passing Game Coordinator at Penn State where Joe Moorhead (OC) led the PSU offense to be one of the best in the country in 2017.

Of course, after Alabama Gattis has most recently been in Michigan where he was the OC but working under a HC with an offensive focus. Michigan had their best season under Gattis this past year of course. Some have made a lot of the fact that Harbaugh brought in a QB coach from the Baltimore Ravens system to help further develop their run concepts. I think it's a great thing that Gattis was able to oversee and implement an increasingly sophisticated running attack.

My hope is that Gattis can build off of each of his experiences, and in partnership with Cristobal, Mirabal (legitimately one of the best OL coaches in the nation IMO), and the rest of the staff (would be bad *** if Gattis can bring Sherrone Moore as TE coach/run game coordinator) develop the blue prints for what Miami's offense under Cristobal will look like. With that hope is also a hope that it will be ever evolving and refined by all the coaches that come through while remaining true to core principles and identity.
Great post 🔥.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back