Confirmed Josh Gattis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect more of Arroyo and less of Mallory especially in the run game. To me, if Mallory can take the biggest leap on the offensive by being coached better and developed to be a better blocker, this offense opens up even more. But that’s a big “if” in terms of his blocking.
Exactly, I expect him to be second string. Dude soft at blocking. Plus he looks out of shape when I saw a picture of him in street clothes last year

Advertisement
This all I needed to see:

Tons of speed at wideout, but it’s not all about #SpeedInSpace

Michigan has its fastest receiving corp in years. Giles Jackson is incredibly fast, Cornelius Johnson can fly at 6-foot-3, incoming freshmen A.J. Henning and Roman Wilson are absolute burners. The speed cannot be ignored by fans, the media, and it definitely can’t be ignored by opposing teams. Although there’s a speed (r)evolution, Gattis values ball-skills even more.

“I can’t lie, speed is a major piece of it,” Gattis said. “Six years ago in my career, I would have told you speed didn’t matter. Now I’ll tell you speed is the only thing that matters to run a go route and a post route. But ill tell you what, when you’re blessed to coach some guys with speed, and you realize they can do a little bit more with the ball in their hand than you can coach, then you put an emphasis on it. Speed is definitely something I value next after ball skills. It’s really ball skill, speed and then balance and body control. That I think are the three key elements to make elite receivers.”

SPEEEEEED WE NEED.. Been saying it for yearssss.. We slow af.. Not explosive and scare nobody.. Having coaches who emphasize this will change that quick, look forward to it

Advertisement

Random search of top OCs gave me this list Degree or disagree with who they pick, 70% coach QBs or have background with the position Again I’m not arguing it’s impossible to be elite at the job without coaching QBs, but most who are elite know how to develop the position or are tied to the hip of QB gurus (see the Briles tree and Kevin Wilson​

10. Jeff Lebby (Ole Miss)​

Didn’t play QB but came up under Briles and coached QBs since 2018.

9. Tom Manning (Iowa State)​

OL by training

8. Jeff Brohm (Purdue)​

7 year NFL QB, 10 years QB coach, nearly a decade HC

7. Jeff Grimes (Baylor)​

OL back ground -

6. Warren Ruggiero (Wake Forest)​

QB coach since 2001.

5. Phil Longo (North Carolina)​

Played QB at low level, QB coach pats ten years.

4. Dan Mullen (Florida)​

Made Dak Prescott look good.

3. Kevin Wilson (Ohio State)​

3 years QB coaching experience. Works for Ryan Day.

2. Tony Elliott (Clemson)​

TE/ RB

1. Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma)​

I think you know already.
Oh, well there's headline news...of course OCs are going to often have a QB coaching background. Doesn't mean it's necessary, or in any way whatsoever a red flag if the OC doesn't. Putting it in really big font doesn't make the argument any stronger.

Bottom line is Gattis is a big name hire, considered one of the top OCs in college, is known for being able to adjust his system to the personnel, is a big time recruiter, and just won the Broyles award. Noone is a guaranteed success anywhere, but he's as good a hire as a team can make.

Advertisement
Good pick up.... Let's finish up the staff and get prepped for spring camp.... Full throttle from here on out...
Driving Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

Advertisement
I think the move is fine. Mainly because I think TVD will ball out and he’s gone in a year.

I watch maybe 4/5 Michigan games a year. His body of work is pederstrian.

it’s the cut an paste from the original list format. Thanks for the informed response.
lol you and the word “informed” boss

Advertisement
Mopes will complain about anything. He just won the award for top assistant and they complain haha phucking losers some of you are.
Just cause a guy won the broyles doesn’t mean they’re a good fit for our program. People have the right to be hesitant because of the style and fit

He’s a great coach, resume speaks for itself. Good crooter too, but people can be hesitant about fit

Bruh? You don't like the hire? I like your posts, so I'm surprised by your take.
I was genuinely asking what his offense is like. I didn't watch much of Michigan outside of the OSU and Georgia games. I like the running concepts a lot but again, didn't see enough to get a good read either way. If he adapts to the personnel and airs it out more here, I'll be ecstatic, and i think he will do that. However, the chance that he doesn't is really my only concern (and even that approach could work once we have a better o-line).

Overall, I'm really happy with the hire but just a little hesitant as I'm so unfamiliar with his offense. I saw he ran it a ton, but I'm hoping that was just playing to Michigan's strengths and not his core identity as an offensive coordinator. If he adapts to the personnel, i think it could be a homerun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back