Joseph Wicker 247 update

Long Beach (Calif.) Poly has developed a reputation for producing more football talent than any other high school west of the Mississippi River.

Highly-touted defensive lineman Joseph Wicker is the latest in that line, although he actually isn’t the biggest name on his own team.

-Says “I feel like I have a responsibility to be as good or better than everybody who played here before me,” “Our team is the same way, we have to be undefeated or in the mix for a championship every year. The coaches, the community, and the alumni put a lot of pressure on us to be the best.”

-(6-4, 265) sits on six offers from Arizona, Arizona State, Miami, Oregon State, SMU, and Washington. He does have some early favorites but that doesn’t mean his commitment will occur anytime soon.

-Says “I don’t really have a leader but Miami, Washington, Arizona, and Arizona State are four schools I’m high on right now,” “I’d like to take visits this summer but I’m not sure if I can. I’ll start going on officials when the season starts. Arizona State should be my first one and Miami will probably be last.”

-travels have been pretty limited since he’s been to Arizona once and Washington once. He originally committed to the Huskies on that trip but backed away from that pledge about six weeks later.

-Miami offered Wicker back in the summer and he’s still anxiously awaiting the chance to see Coral Gables. They haven’t been recruiting him particularly hard as of late but it doesn’t seem to matter that much either.

-Says “They’re cool, we talk now and then but I really need to meet them,” “I can’t wait to get out there. I’ll base where I go off my visits, not off how much I get recruited. I think it’s more important if I like the school, not if they want me.”

-The Hurricanes have a strong and lengthy track record of putting players in the NFL so that’s what has kept Wicker’s attention.

-Says “I’d love to be a part of a great tradition and I know they have that on the defensive line,” “Especially at defensive tackle, they had a bunch of great players there including Warren Sapp. That’s the biggest thing that I like about Miami right there.”

-Playing time will factor in but distance from home won’t be a barrier. made it clear he’s looking a little deeper than what’s on the surface.

-Says “I always ask about my role as a player, of course I’m trying to be a freshman All-American,” “I also want to know what the community does before games, is there some kind of ritual? I’m a Christian so I’m interested if a school has churches I can go to. The little things really matter to me.”

http://miami.247sports.com/Article/Miami-in-Lead-Group-for-DL-Joseph-Wicker-186794

Advertisement
Side note from Nate Adelson
I wanted to add that this kid is apparently a complete freak on the track, even though he's not running this year. As a sophomore, he ran a 22.00 in the 200 meters at 6'4" 255. That's faster than a lot of WRs and CBs who have legit speed.

I wanted to add that this kid is apparently a complete freak on the track, even though he's not running this year. As a sophomore, he ran a 22.00 in the 200 meters at 6'4" 255. That's faster than a lot of WRs and CBs who have legit speed.

that is truly freakish if true. Almost hard to believe.

I’ll base where I go off my visits, not off how much I get recruited. I think it’s more important if I like the school, not if they want me.”

I think this is the first time I ever heard s recruit say that...kid has his head on his shoulders...obviously relationships are important getting to knw ur position coach, but that's good stuff...

Advertisement

thats probably not laser

thats probably not laser

Laser or not, even if it's off by a second it's still a fantastic time!

Recently released a top 3 and UM made the cut..no subscription to Rivals but thats what the header reads..I like the fact our staff is going out and gauging interest from all over but I hope the effort doesn't goes without reward come signing day..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back