Jordan, Dallas speak on stepping up their games, offensive improvement

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Between game 1 and game 2, the Miami Hurricanes offense took a huge step forward, putting up nearly 200 more yards against UNC than they did against UF. According to sophomore TE Brevin Jordan, that improvement held up in film review as well.

“When we sat down and watched film there was a huge difference,” Jordan said. “The offensive line looked a lot better, Jarren (Williams) looked more poised. As an offense we’re slowly getting better. We didn’t win, but as an offense it was a positive for us because man, we keep cleaning up these little things, we can be pretty good.”

Although Jordan put up 6 catches for 73 yards against UNC and continues to be a go-to target for Williams, the sophomore is more interested in team success.

“Right now we’re trying to win some games,” Jordan said. “Those two games are over with. We’re looking forward to beating Bethune-Cookman, perfecting ourselves, ‘The New Miami’. We’re just trying to perfect us.

“It doesn’t matter if we’re playing the Denver Broncos, Alabama, or Clemson, it doesn’t matter - the point is we’re trying to win. That’s the bottom line. We’re trying to win some games.”

Jordan currently leads the nation in catches (11) and yards (161) among TE’s, but he has always wanted to be seen as a complete tight end.

“I pride myself in blocking,” Jordan said.

Does he prefer making a big catch or a big block?

“Oh, I mean truthfully I like the ball in my hands,” Jordan said. “But throwing someone on the floor and seeing DeeJay (Dallas) or Cam (Harris) run past me is just as good.”

**Junior RB DeeJay Dallas averaged a healthy 7.6 ypc against the Tar Heels this weekend, trading off punishing runs in the gut and sideline scampers for 107 yards on 14 carries; it was his 4th career 100 yard game.

“You’ve got to have that mentality of `it’s me vs. you’ every play,” Dallas said. “So when you step in front of me, that’s disrespectful to me - now we just have to run downhill and if I can make moves, I make moves. It’s just running. Your style of running should change to the situation, so if it calls to be physical, be physical. If it calls to be a finesse back, be a finesse back. And that’s what I feel all our backs can do, that medium of finesse and power.”

What are Dallas’ goals for this weekend?

“Win, be healthy and just everybody come out and contribute,” Dallas said. “We’re back home, we just want to put on a show.”

With an FCS opponent in Bethune-Cookman coming to town, there’s a good chance the UM staff clears their bench around halftime.

“It’ll show us who is going to ball come December, come November, whenever their number is called,” Dallas said.

One such player UM fans could get a glimpse of is sophomore RB Lorenzo Lingard, who has been slow to come back from a knee injury suffered last fall and has not seen a carry in the first two games.

“I tell him all the time `It’s going to pop, when your number is called bro, you’re going to go ballistic.’ I tell him all the time `Stay faithful and keep going, keep hammering it.’

“He looks good, ready to play. Shoot, I’m excited for Lo. Whenever he does hit the field, I know he’ll do his thing.”

Taking care of business at home is something Manny Diaz has stressed to his team and Dallas feels the players have received the message.

“Home is our turf, and we shouldn’t lose on our turf,” Dallas said.

Advertisement
Advertisement
"Jordan currently leads the nation in catches (11) and yards (161) among TE’s, but he has always wanted to be seen as a complete tight end."

I have to say, this is pretty impressive given that we are one of the few teams that has played two real opponents up to this point. Most others have had the luxury of playing at least one cupcake FCS or low G5 team in their first two games where they could feast, yet Brevin leads all TEs in catches and yards!

2 games in , I’m far more worried about our defense than offense. You see multiple people standing out offensively. In addition to glimpses of being a good offense. On defense the only one probably standing out is greg Rousseau which makes no sense considering outside a few spots it’s experienced

Advertisement
2 games in , I’m far more worried about our defense than offense. You see multiple people standing out offensively. In addition to glimpses of being a good offense. On defense the only one probably standing out is Greg Rousseau which makes no sense considering outside a few spots it’s experienced

Carter and Bandy played great against Florida and Blades played well against Florida.

Pinckney played great against UNC.

Ford and Finely have played well in both games. GR15 has been great rushing the passer in limited snaps.

Garvin and Patchan have been good against the run and holding containment on QB on passing downs.

We're all just mad that we lost.

Bandy had a couple rough plays against UNC but the kid is a baller. Ivey and Hall have been underwhelming but theyre seeing the first reps of their career and got thrown in the fire against legit competition. They made mistakes but that's how you get better. They kind of remind me of Redwine in his first few games. Holding onto the handle bars too tight and making mistakes. They should loosen up and if not Bolden takes one of their jobs.

Shaq hasnt stood out yet.. but teams are also game planning away from the linebackers. I can imagine his leadership in the huddle is valued at a premium. Pinckney and Finely have been noticed because they play in heavier coverage than Shaq.

Its been 2 games... Results aside I do feel like this teams toughness and conditioning are very different this year. Lets see how they regroup and handle adversity.

Seeing how this team progresses from the first game to the last game will tell us how good of a coaching staff we have and how tough our kids are.

2 games in , I’m far more worried about our defense than offense. You see multiple people standing out offensively. In addition to glimpses of being a good offense. On defense the only one probably standing out is greg Rousseau which makes no sense considering outside a few spots it’s experienced

Yeah. I'm too keen on Miami's DC and a few of his assistants. And dig this, I envision a YOUNG offensive line continuing to improve along with Williams. Yet, I have a bad feeling about the defense. I just hope the offense doesn't have to carry the defense this season. Akin to Miami's defense carrying the offense last season. Talk about IRONY of the Orange and Green sort.:eek: hUh

I just don't understand this program: how is it that each head coach has one good/strong area of the team (offense, defense, or special teams) but never all 3? What am I missing? How is our defense looking a lot worse this year when Manny is still here albeit at a CEO role yet our defense was a lot better just last year (or last 2 years) with him in charge and still a lot of talented players (though some obviously green)?

Meanwhile our offense is already looking a lot better than last year's abortion (note for the sensitive: I didn't say 'great'. I said 'much better' so far but time will tell). Under Golden we periodically had some decent offenses and crap defense, Shannon the defense but a crap offense. I just don't understand why its so hard to get all three facets at the minimum 'good' (not 'great' like an elite team even). Our special teams has so far been close to a disaster.

Is it that coaches clearly try to fix one side and promote one side and the energy on the others is left behind? I don't get it. I think Diaz assumed that because Baker worked for him and he himself was still here, that maybe more energy would be spent on resuscitating the offense.

Advertisement

While you're right about, not to many people standing out on defense as far as big plays are concerned, beside jac rousseau, dont look past the job garvin, ford, bethel, patchan and miller are doing against the run, they've been shutting **** down, with the exception of the 4th quarter against Unc, but that primarily had to do with what coach baker was calling as the d-co. And dont overlook the job Blades is doing as well, him and ivey are going to start doggin people out their, ivey just needs to work on closing the space between him and the faster wideouts, other than that, him and Blades are playing real physical.

The d-co is the one out their calling soft **** at the wrong time, and the obvious blitzes need to go away often.

I just don't understand this program: how is it that each head coach has one good/strong area of the team (offense, defense, or special teams) but never all 3? What am I missing? How is our defense looking a lot worse this year when Manny is still here albeit at a CEO role yet our defense was a lot better just last year (or last 2 years) with him in charge and still a lot of talented players (though some obviously green)?

Meanwhile our offense is already looking a lot better than last year's abortion (note for the sensitive: I didn't say 'great'. I said 'much better' so far but time will tell). Under Golden we periodically had some decent offenses and crap defense, Shannon the defense but a crap offense. I just don't understand why its so hard to get all three facets at the minimum 'good' (not 'great' like an elite team even). Our special teams has so far been close to a disaster.

Is it that coaches clearly try to fix one side and promote one side and the energy on the others is left behind? I don't get it. I think Diaz assumed that because Baker worked for him and he himself was still here, that maybe more energy would be spent on resuscitating the offense.
Agree 100%. Its seemingly been that way for 15 years now. We get a good offense and the defense stinks; get a good defense and the offense is inept; meanwhile the ST have stunk the whole time. Very frustrating.

While you're right about, not to many people standing out on defense as far as big plays are concerned, beside jac rousseau, dont look past the job garvin, ford, bethel, patchan and miller are doing against the run, they've been shutting **** down, with the exception of the 4th quarter against Unc, but that primarily had to do with what coach baker was calling as the d-co. And dont overlook the job Blades is doing as well, him and ivey are going to start doggin people out their, ivey just needs to work on closing the space between him and the faster wideouts, other than that, him and Blades are playing real physical.

The d-co is the one out their calling soft **** at the wrong time, and the obvious blitzes need to go away often.
I agreed with everything you said, but your take on Ivey is not true at all. You must not have watch the game, he was the least physical guy on both teams the whole night. He was getting bullied by WRs, and couldn't get off blocks at all. This was quite surprising considering his size or but from the looks of it he has no idea how to use his physique to an advantage, because if he did he would have had a better game.

Advertisement
I agreed with everything you said, but your take on Ivey is not true at all. You must not have watch the game, he was the least physical guy on both teams the whole night. He was getting bullied by WRs, and couldn't get off blocks at all. This was quite surprising considering his size or but from the looks of it he has no idea how to use his physique to an advantage, because if he did he would have had a better game.

His run support right now is **** poor, but that's not unusual for a db like him in his first live action, which Unc made sure to take advantage of. But im talking about his press man coverage, it was on point for a large portion of the game. But him getting bullied, he'll learn from this game, but Blades should've been starting!

His run support right now is **** poor, but that's not unusual for a db like him in his first live action, which Unc made sure to take advantage of. But im talking about his press man coverage, it was on point for a large portion of the game. But him getting bullied, he'll learn from this game, but Blades should've been starting!
I don't know if he was asked to give the WR a lot of cushion, but he did. I think his strength as a CB is using his size near the line. I agree with you on Blades.

I don't know if he was asked to give the WR a lot of cushion, but he did. I think his strength as a CB is using his size near the line. I agree with you on Blades.
He wasnt asked, his first game, he was resorting back to what coach rumph has been coaching him out of and that's trusting himself, as the game went on, alot of what prompts them to start ivey over Blades started showing, but i still would've started Blades, but let's see what happens, Blades mindset come gameday and practice is to dominate. Our secondary has the potential to be a real force, because none of them lack for confidence, it's gurvan hall that needs a lil more seasoning back their in the leadership and scheme dept, knowles will be starting over him this week and almost rightfully so, you give up the game winning touchdown, consequences.

Let's see what happens with ivey this weekend, but one of my favorite players on the team is corey gaynor,i luv the fact that coach richt and company redshirted him, now he's out their starting to start dominating people and setting the tone. Him and scaife have that same mindset, when he and scaife were on the same side, they started forming a Great tandem.

Here's gaynor talking though:
I love putting my energy into other guys and bringing other guys along with me because that is a characteristic of a leader,” Gaynor said on Hurricane Hotline. “Jakai and Zion are intelligent men and they are both hard workers. They are going to be special.”

We are working our tails off. Unfortunately, both of those games did not go in our favor, but I hope we are showing every fan, family member, and alumni out there that we are willing to fight,” Gaynor said. “This is all about a culture shift and it is going to take some time, but we are working every day to turn this thing around.”

Advertisement
Back