Jordan Addison to the portal

I've made this argument many many times over the years.

LLCs - no bueno.

S-corps - far superior.

Pay yourself a reasonable salary from an S-corp, then your K-1 earnings and your distributions are NOT subject to SE tax.

Little-known pro tip.
Glad I can come to this board for football knowledge and leave with more answers to my online schooling questions as well.

Advertisement
And for everybody that’s feeling bad for Pitt for losing Addison, just know they already anticipated it.

They brought in two Portal WR’s this offseason in Konata Mumpfield (from Akron) & Jerrod Bub Mean (from LA Tech).

Those are two good productive WR’s with speed & playmaking ability, are they as good as Addison? Of course not, but Pitt is not left without any WR’s they’ll be fine.

But think of it like this, how Pitt feels about Addison is how Akron feels about Mumpfield, so which one are we supposed to feel sorry for? Exactly... NEITHER ONE lol.

“What if it happens to Miami?” Who’s fault is that? Ours! It’s every Man/Team for himself, it’s roll or get rolled on & you’re either rolling or getting flattened, so we better figure out to how roll or get comfortable being on the ground...

So since yall are feeling nervous about NIL, somebody tell us we roll?!?!?
It’s no secret when these kids and their agents put out feelers. It’s out there, everyone knows including Narduzzi. His actions was just the ploy of a desperate man throwing a Hail Mary grenade into the situation.

I don’t blame him but let’s not act this is some big secret. Kids / agents do what they do to get a bigger bag from a school or bump their bag at current school. Just like Worthy and others. It’s negotiations.

Its never gonna be balanced. And if your thing is paying the players is the reason f off. Its facts, white dudes raking in millions vehemently against it. Point out the lie. Black coaches making millions....facts as well. what percentage? Show me the black coaches speaking on it like Dabo and Saban. Your whole argument is dumb. Started off the bottom? How many players they went through helping them from the so called bottom, to have their bodies destroyed and end up on the scrap heap while Dabo and Saban making millions. People watch these players as soon as they enter colleges and the coaches and conferences rake in millions. What tf thay got to do with hard work? Your name and image supposed to be hard? How many NCAA football games got sold with their image and likeness and they got nothing. Load of tripe

Those players are there also getting an education and degree in the event their unable to make it professionally. Which they use to make thousands, millions in earnings depending on their profession. That cost money for individuals that don't have an athletic or academic scholarship if you weren't aware. Your argument and outlook on life is dumb and racist. I'm not going to continue going back and forth with you as it's pointless. They're white athletes getting NIL deals as well.

1,000% they should.

Addison isn’t under contract at Pitt, they haven’t offered him a NIl deal, therefore he’s free to take any deal he wants.

And if USC or Bama, or any school wants to take a player from another team, it’s up to that team to do what they have to do to keep’em, if they can’t oh well, tough luck. There is no fairness in Football, it’s an arms race to the top & only losers cry about not having enough guns for the War.

What’s happening with college football is called blowback. For decades & decades the NCAA generated BILLIONS of dollars worth of revenue & never shared a penny of it with it’s players & technically speaking they’re still not, but they created a system that forced players to have to have take money under the table in order to have a feasible rationalization that aligns with the economic system that sport has embedded in it anyway. So now the veil has been lifted & the light has been turned on in the room, so all the big money you see being thrown around is just a residual of years of not being able to profit from the beginning.

This NIL movement is an economic bubble, specifically an equity bubble & we’re just in the Takeoff stage of the bubble which is still in the beginning. NIL is a speculative market right now where the product is being sold at a higher valuation price than what the retainable profit is as of now, because there’s no way to know what the exact return on investment will be, even with proven commodities in accomplished players/upperclassmen like Addison. What fans who are hesitant about the whole process are waiting on is the Critical stage, where the valuation decreases & the product sells at much lower price than originally purchased, meaning most of yall are just waiting for the market to crash & if you understand economics, it absolutely will.

Markets self correct, yall want the market to preemptively corrected before it crashes simply due to fear, but that destroys incentive & makes buyers keep their money in their pocket. It’s really simple, NIL will be corrected once it starts negatively effecting the powerhouse schools, but until then it has to stay as open & unregulated as possible in order to level an unbalanced playing field.

Once the restrictions come, things will reset back to the way they were before & the only thing it will really limit is who gets to play the game. What yall want is equality, but there is no such thing as equality in competition, there will always be schools that have more than others, the only way to defeat it is with ingenuity & intelligence.

In theory I agree but if having zero regulations creates even larger competitive imbalances than we already see thats not good for the game. And if its not good for the game in the end it wont be good for the players money making ability either. Ultimately its fan interest that drives the dollar, if fans start to get turned off thats not good for business. The NFL has a salary cap for a reason and they are the wealthiest, most profitable sports league in the world. They also have (by far) the highest athletic payroll in the world (total, not per player since football has much larger rosters).

Thats why I like having the 1yr sit out rule. That way you can place zero restrictions on pay or movement but you should cool down the frenzy we see now and create a better overall product, more connections to players and happier fans.

1,000% they should.

Addison isn’t under contract at Pitt, they haven’t offered him a NIl deal, therefore he’s free to take any deal he wants.

And if USC or Bama, or any school wants to take a player from another team, it’s up to that team to do what they have to do to keep’em, if they can’t oh well, tough luck. There is no fairness in Football, it’s an arms race to the top & only losers cry about not having enough guns for the War.

What’s happening with college football is called blowback. For decades & decades the NCAA generated BILLIONS of dollars worth of revenue & never shared a penny of it with it’s players & technically speaking they’re still not, but they created a system that forced players to have to have take money under the table in order to have a feasible rationalization that aligns with the economic system that sport has embedded in it anyway. So now the veil has been lifted & the light has been turned on in the room, so all the big money you see being thrown around is just a residual of years of not being able to profit from the beginning.

This NIL movement is an economic bubble, specifically an equity bubble & we’re just in the Takeoff stage of the bubble which is still in the beginning. NIL is a speculative market right now where the product is being sold at a higher valuation price than what the retainable profit is as of now, because there’s no way to know what the exact return on investment will be, even with proven commodities in accomplished players/upperclassmen like Addison. What fans who are hesitant about the whole process are waiting on is the Critical stage, where the valuation decreases & the product sells at much lower price than originally purchased, meaning most of yall are just waiting for the market to crash & if you understand economics, it absolutely will.

Markets self correct, yall want the market to preemptively corrected before it crashes simply due to fear, but that destroys incentive & makes buyers keep their money in their pocket. It’s really simple, NIL will be corrected once it starts negatively effecting the powerhouse schools, but until then it has to stay as open & unregulated as possible in order to level an unbalanced playing field.

Once the restrictions come, things will reset back to the way they were before & the only thing it will really limit is who gets to play the game. What yall want is equality, but there is no such thing as equality in competition, there will always be schools that have more than others, the only way to defeat it is with ingenuity & intelligence.
Nailed it

Advertisement
You've been very vocal about this, and I'm with you, for the most part.

But do you think, in a specific example like Addison, that it should be allowed for a school (for example USC) to take a look across the country, see the best WR in America (says the Biletnikoff Award), and say "I want that kid on my team" and offer him a ton of money to leave.

Again, at the root of it, a player is getting the max money. Which I think we're both good with. But the situation I just described doesn't even happen in the NFL. I'm sure tampering does, to some extent, but you can't just call a dude in the middle of his contract and say dip out on your current deal and sign with me. This now gets into the debate about whether or not the kids are employees, if they're under contract, etc. etc. I know there are a ton of layers to this onion. But you have been pretty concrete in your stance that every kid should get every single dollar he can, pretty much no matter what. So do you have no issue at all with what's going on with Addison and you feel this should be the way collegiate sports operates from now on? I'm personally not there yet.....I feel like we have to be able to reach something of a middle ground here. But I'm nowhere near smart enough to know how.
You’re probably right there needs some
Moderation, but to libertys point, I’ve had three friends in the research triangle just this past year get poached by Meta. Their companies recruited them out of school, put in training and money… massive company comes and offers to double their pay and they bounce. Obviously that’s not a unique situation and no one really bats an eye, how different is that to going from Pitt to USC?

Those players are there also getting an education and degree in the event their unable to make it professionally. Which they use to make thousands, millions in earnings depending on their profession. That cost money for individuals that don't have an athletic or academic scholarship if you weren't aware. Your argument and outlook on life is dumb and racist. I'm not going to continue going back and forth with you as it's pointless. They're white athletes getting NIL deals as well.
What they are providing is far imbalanced to what they are getting in compensation. Also their name and image likeness, is their name and image likeness. Its like trying to have a celebrity plug your start up product. You are paying for their name, image and likeness. That aint got **** to do with what the universities are raking on their backs in tv money. You don't need to continue back and forth u been destroyed. There are white players and black players, there are white coaches and black coaches. The white coaches are vocal against it while sitting on millions and raking in more. Micro of america. Facts.

You’re probably right there needs some
Moderation, but to libertys point, I’ve had three friends in the research triangle just this past year get poached by Meta. Their companies recruited them out of school, put in training and money… massive company comes and offers to double their pay and they bounce. Obviously that’s not a unique situation and no one really bats an eye, how different is that to going from Pitt to USC?
Its different because the business model is different. Nobody logs onto facebook because of the person who designed the software. But with football the players ARE the product, or at least a major component of it. Fans/customers need to be happy with the product to continue investing their time and money to it.

Its short sighted to say let the market do whatever it does completely unchecked. That might benefit the current group of players but it may not for future generations. I agree, these guys should get paid and get paid what they deserve but some element of structure to protect the game does not have to be completely compromised.

Unless of course you believe college football is untouchable. I do not think thats the case though, we are already seeing huge attendance drops across the country.

@Liberty City El
Excited Topher Grace GIF by ABC Network

Advertisement
Im not sure why everyone is so bent on NIL deals. NIL has just brought the money out into the open. Players have been getting paid by the big boys for as long as there has been college football. The Texas, A & M, Bama, OSU, USC, etc have been forking out cash payouts for years. NIL deals have just legalized the payoffs. And mind you those programs are still giving mom & dad jobs and houses. That hasn't changed. With all that said, I have to believe the stupidity of some of these deals will give way to more reasonable figures. College players getting more than most NFL players is stupid and unsustainable. Have a couple of these 5 star talents, getting absurd NIL deals, not panning out and the boosters will become more careful with the deals they write.

In theory I agree but if having zero regulations creates even larger competitive imbalances than we already see thats not good for the game. And if its not good for the game in the end it wont be good for the players money making ability either. Ultimately its fan interest that drives the dollar, if fans start to get turned off thats not good for business. The NFL has a salary cap for a reason and they are the wealthiest, most profitable sports league in the world. They also have (by far) the highest athletic payroll in the world (total, not per player since football has much larger rosters).

Thats why I like having the 1yr sit out rule. That way you can place zero restrictions on pay or movement but you should cool down the frenzy we see now and create a better overall product, more connections to players and happier fans.
Certain schools being allowed to illegally pay under the table with no repercussions has already created that. You’re already seeing the same 3-5 schools make the CFP given the shady competitive advantage they have.

This has led to a decrease in the popularity of the sport already. With this new system sure there will be a ton of schools that won’t have a chance at winning it all BUT the big prize will be opened up to 10-15 schools as opposed to the 3-5 we have now.

What they are providing is far imbalanced to what they are getting in compensation. Also their name and image likeness, is their name and image likeness. Its like trying to have a celebrity plug your start up product. You are paying for their name, image and likeness. That aint got **** to do with what the universities are raking on their backs in tv money. You don't need to continue back and forth u been destroyed. There are white players and black players, there are white coaches and black coaches. The white coaches are vocal against it while sitting on millions and raking in more. Micro of america. Facts.

You're forgetting these Universities have also spent all the upfront cost to create the stadiums, facilities, dorms, cafeterias, and pay the staff to develop all these athletes. The platform for these individuals to showcase their talents and audition for professional career is not free and has been around before these kids were born. As mentioned before there's also compensation with a degree from the University as well. What are they getting paid for if the platform is not there for them to perform on? Only thing destroyed is my last 10 minutes wasting my time responding to you.

You're forgetting these Universities have also spent all the upfront cost to create the stadiums, facilities, dorms, cafeterias, and pay the staff to develop all these athletes. The platform for these individuals to showcase their talents and audition for professional career is not free and has been around before these kids were born. As mentioned before there's also compensation with a degree from the University as well. What are they getting paid for if the platform is not there for them to perform on? Only thing destroyed is my last 10 minutes wasting my time responding to you.
All that **** been paid off million folds by the players and the tv money and if they are public schools by tax payers money. Wrong again. What they are paying is far outweighed by what they are raking in. U been destroyed. We know how it breaks down. The TV companies never said, oh u have to work hard fpr this bag. Dumps like Vanderbilt football team still getting even more money than teams who won conference titles. But sure the players need to work hard to get some of that guaranteed money. Just go.

Advertisement
Certain schools being allowed to illegally pay under the table with no repercussions has already created that. You’re already seeing the same 3-5 schools make the CFP given the shady competitive advantage they have.

This has led to a decrease in the popularity of the sport already. With this new system sure there will be a ton of schools that won’t have a chance at winning it all BUT the big prize will be opened up to 10-15 schools as opposed to the 3-5 we have now.
Dont disagree, it was already there. Thats why I said "even larger". We were already headed down a pretty bad path so maybe having 10 "haves" as opposed 3 might actually be progress. Hopefully it's not at the expense of an even wider gap between the 100 other teams.

Who can really say, it does make for entertaining message board discussion though.

It’s no secret when these kids and their agents put out feelers. It’s out there, everyone knows including Narduzzi. His actions was just the ploy of a desperate man throwing a Hail Mary grenade into the situation.

I don’t blame him but let’s not act this is some big secret. Kids / agents do what they do to get a bigger bag from a school or bump their bag at current school. Just like Worthy and others. It’s negotiations.
So what you’re saying is that FSPooo and the Gayturd have become feeder schools to the real, bigger programs, like Miami, Bama, USC, Georgia, right?!

people using the word tampering.

not sure it applies as there is no contractual agreement btw student and university anywhere like an nfl player and a franchise

@AtlAtty please chime in
Tampering is the NCAA term which prevents schools from making contact with players under scholarship. That is an actual NCAA violation but its next to impossible to enforce it because it's next to impossible to prove who made contact first with whom; school, player, friend of player, parent, school to parent, player to player.

But this is a real thing. I have a nephew who is under scholarship at school A. The coach at school A contacted the coach at school B about my nephew transferring to school B (it's a playing time issue). My nephew went on an unofficial visit to school B, but he could not meet with any coach while at school B. His tour of the facilities was handled entirely by players. Then the family went to a baseball game where they "waved" to the head coach of school B. Mind you this was all set up by the coach at school A. But they played all these games so as not to run afoul of the NCAA rule on "tampering".

The NCAA is not able to do anything to a player if a university "tampers" with the player, but the NCAA can penalize the university. And the penalty can include not allowing the university to offer a scholarship to the player in question.

Advertisement
Im not sure why everyone is so bent on NIL deals. NIL has just brought the money out into the open. Players have been getting paid by the big boys for as long as there has been college football. The Texas, A & M, Bama, OSU, USC, etc have been forking out cash payouts for years. NIL deals have just legalized the payoffs. And mind you those programs are still giving mom & dad jobs and houses. That hasn't changed. With all that said, I have to believe the stupidity of some of these deals will give way to more reasonable figures. College players getting more than most NFL players is stupid and unsustainable. Have a couple of these 5 star talents, getting absurd NIL deals, not panning out and the boosters will become more careful with the deals they write.
Yup…. It’s just so new and most feel a pressure to keep up.

One of the first ones to case study is that Ewers(sp) who went to OSU got a million dollar NIL then left to Texas for what I’m guessing was another huge NIL…. Kid hasn’t done jack on the field yet has gotten paid…. Be interesting if more kids like him keep taking money without producing before boosters say enough with the high school potential I’d rather throw my money at proven commodities I.e addisions etc…

The universities aren’t paying the kids, why should their be a cap on how much someone can make from a third party?

Exactly, all NILs are are side hustles/endorsement deals.

All of these people that want to cap NILs, know **** well they would tell their bosses at their regular gigs to kick rocks if that boss tried to cap how much they made at their side gigs.

These people fail to look at these nonsensical NCAA rules in real life terms.

Last edited:
Yup…. It’s just so new and most feel a pressure to keep up.

One of the first ones to case study is that Ewers(sp) who went to OSU got a million dollar NIL then left to Texas for what I’m guessing was another huge NIL…. Kid hasn’t done jack on the field yet has gotten paid…. Be interesting if more kids like him keep taking money without producing before boosters say enough with the high school potential I’d rather throw my money at proven commodities I.e addisions etc…

Ewers left OSU because Stroud took His ****, not because of an NIL deal.

And for everybody that’s feeling bad for Pitt for losing Addison, just know they already anticipated it.

They brought in two Portal WR’s this offseason in Konata Mumpfield (from Akron) & Jerrod Bub Mean (from LA Tech).

Those are two good productive WR’s with speed & playmaking ability, are they as good as Addison? Of course not, but Pitt is not left without any WR’s they’ll be fine.

But think of it like this, how Pitt feels about Addison is how Akron feels about Mumpfield, so which one are we supposed to feel sorry for? Exactly... NEITHER ONE lol.

“What if it happens to Miami?” Who’s fault is that? Ours! It’s every Man/Team for himself, it’s roll or get rolled on & you’re either rolling or getting flattened, so we better figure out to how roll or get comfortable being on the ground...

So since yall are feeling nervous about NIL, somebody tell us we roll?!?!?
1651524145227.gif

Advertisement
Back