Jordan Addison to the portal

Like some people, I dont think it should be regulated however I think there should be some guidelines. It is absolutely the Wild West and its going to get worse. Simple rules will help make the NIL process not seem so crazy.

Example..they have to find a way to prevent kids from transferring every year shopping for a new NIL deal. It will happen soon. You can fix this by simply telling kids if you sign an NIL, and you transfer, its mandatory that you sit out one year. So it also tells kids that if you dont sign an NIL, you can transfer and play immediately.

Another example is the terms of the NIL deals need to start being confidential IMO. We dont need to know what the contract is. Why? Keep it under wraps. It prevents situations like what is going on now where Tenn gave Nico 8M and now they have set the market for the other 5* QBs worth. And all of them are basing their offers off that deal. Give colleges a fair shot here at offering what they think a kid is worth and not just offering what the market tells them they have to pay.

Advertisement
In Florida, its tax treated best if ...

a player should file a pass though llc ($138 per year) owned 100% by a single member llc ($138 per year +$244 one time) which takes the s Corp election.

then, take a $2k per month salary from llc with the s-corp election. FICA AND MEDICARE ARE ONLY CHARGED ON THAT $24K!!!

The balance of income is offset by "business expenses" and the remainder is taxed at the blended federal rate.

Experts.... feel free to correct me if I am wrong in any way. I welcome new knowledge.

I've made this argument many many times over the years.

LLCs - no bueno.

S-corps - far superior.

Pay yourself a reasonable salary from an S-corp, then your K-1 earnings and your distributions are NOT subject to SE tax.

Little-known pro tip.

That's a very short sited and racist outlook. There's rich black coaches and also white players involved with NIL as well. There's no reason to bring race into the argument. It's unnecessary and it's a flawed narrative this generation of wanting instant reward without hard work wants to push. You do realized most of these coaches didn't start off making millions of dollars. They started off at the bottom and worked their way up just like players working themselves up into becoming professional athletes making millions more at that level. In addition, most of those coaches (black/white) were former players themselves. There's a reason teams have coaches, armies have commanders, boats have captains, etc. Men/Women need to be lead by someone when trying to reach a common goal. Not saying the players don't matter, but your view in regards to the coaches is way skewed in the wrong direction.

Your argument is College football is/was/always will be unbalanced, but as long as the players are now getting paid lets let it go over the cliff and leave it broken. That just doesn't seem like a recipe for success. You do realize the more out of balance the sport becomes were there's fewer haves then have nots that's going to be less opportunities for student athletes to participate at the top division and continue to get paid with good NIL deals. There's a reason professional sports have caps, regulations, and rules in place to keep things competitive between all the teams. Otherwise, you have product not many people continue to want to watch.

The universities aren’t paying the kids, why should their be a cap on how much someone can make from a third party? In the past, the ncaa has force kids to forfeit their scholarships or to discontinue any business ventures they have started. Why should that have been a choice? The ncaa earned over a billion dollars in revenue back in 2021. They aren’t ones playing the games. We weren’t tuning to watch Mark Emmert. I find it funny some people call for it to be regulated when coaches are making millions. Let the kids make their share, the ncaa still isn’t giving them a slice of the pie. And the poster’s post wasn’t racist. It is reality.

There should be no other way...

Nobody has a problem with people making as much money as they can in every other sector of life, but all of the sudden once it’s time for some athletes to get paid everybody turns into Karl Marx overnight lol

In the words of Gordon Gekko:
tenor.gif
I think the majority of it can be explained with the classic phenomenon that is the establishment pushing back. It's nuanced (and I think that's what you're really pointing out), but no less predictable. This scenario plays out nearly every time there's a major shift in rules/power dynamics. After this last cycle, the debate should be over as to whether or not NIL is going to change the landscape of college sports. Those who see it as a challenge will adopt the viewpoint you alluded to in your post, and those who see it as an opportunity will sing its graces at every opportunity possible.

We're seeing the same thing play out with the change in leadership of a certain social media platform.

As a cynic, I'm just enjoying the show :)

You've been very vocal about this, and I'm with you, for the most part.

But do you think, in a specific example like Addison, that it should be allowed for a school (for example USC) to take a look across the country, see the best WR in America (says the Biletnikoff Award), and say "I want that kid on my team" and offer him a ton of money to leave.

Again, at the root of it, a player is getting the max money. Which I think we're both good with. But the situation I just described doesn't even happen in the NFL. I'm sure tampering does, to some extent, but you can't just call a dude in the middle of his contract and say dip out on your current deal and sign with me. This now gets into the debate about whether or not the kids are employees, if they're under contract, etc. etc. I know there are a ton of layers to this onion. But you have been pretty concrete in your stance that every kid should get every single dollar he can, pretty much no matter what. So do you have no issue at all with what's going on with Addison and you feel this should be the way collegiate sports operates from now on? I'm personally not there yet.....I feel like we have to be able to reach something of a middle ground here. But I'm nowhere near smart enough to know how.
I'd be very happy to get Addison - the fan in me would love it and would like to see Pitt be regressed.

But at the same time if yesterday Oklahoma paid Jake Garcia $5M to transfer and Michigan gave Tyler Van Dyke $7M to transfer out, I'd be upset given where we could otherwise be at the end of the 2022 season.

By this logic, if I were Mario and Ruiz and wanted to spend, I'd be reviewing every player on Alabama's roster and making a few, very high priced key offers. As long as I was also then willing to go and overpay for my existing players to stay.

Advertisement
The universities aren’t paying the kids, why should their be a cap on how much someone can make from a third party? In the past, the ncaa has force kids to forfeit their scholarships or to discontinue any business ventures they have started. Why should that have been a choice? The ncaa earned over a billion dollars in revenue back in 2021. They aren’t ones playing the games. We weren’t tuning to watch Mark Emmert. I find it funny some people call for it to be regulated when coaches are making millions. Let the kids make their share, the ncaa still isn’t giving them a slice of the pie. And the poster’s post wasn’t racist. It is reality.

It was most certainly racist and unnecessary as the players and coaches are all from multiple races, but one was singled out negatively. That is the reality. No one said the universities were paying the kids or saying the previous setup was the right way either. The concern is over the health, direction of the game, and it being sustainable. We are talking about College football. People keep forgetting that fact and the original intent was students getting into schools of higher education and playing football as an extra curricular activity. The game has just become too big and made too much money. Which again corrupts all. It's turning it into Semi-Pro which I don't believe is a good thing. But, hey whatever floats your boat.

Like some people, I dont think it should be regulated however I think there should be some guidelines. It is absolutely the Wild West and its going to get worse. Simple rules will help make the NIL process not seem so crazy.

Example..they have to find a way to prevent kids from transferring every year shopping for a new NIL deal. It will happen soon. You can fix this by simply telling kids if you sign an NIL, and you transfer, its mandatory that you sit out one year. So it also tells kids that if you dont sign an NIL, you can transfer and play immediately.

Another example is the terms of the NIL deals need to start being confidential IMO. We dont need to know what the contract is. Why? Keep it under wraps. It prevents situations like what is going on now where Tenn gave Nico 8M and now they have set the market for the other 5* QBs worth. And all of them are basing their offers off that deal. Give colleges a fair shot here at offering what they think a kid is worth and not just offering what the market tells them they have to pay.
No, I want it known. If Texas A&M next year offers the next Shemar Stewart $15M to sign plus three mansions, I want to know how ridiculous it is.

You've been very vocal about this, and I'm with you, for the most part.

But do you think, in a specific example like Addison, that it should be allowed for a school (for example USC) to take a look across the country, see the best WR in America (says the Biletnikoff Award), and say "I want that kid on my team" and offer him a ton of money to leave.

Again, at the root of it, a player is getting the max money. Which I think we're both good with. But the situation I just described doesn't even happen in the NFL. I'm sure tampering does, to some extent, but you can't just call a dude in the middle of his contract and say dip out on your current deal and sign with me. This now gets into the debate about whether or not the kids are employees, if they're under contract, etc. etc. I know there are a ton of layers to this onion. But you have been pretty concrete in your stance that every kid should get every single dollar he can, pretty much no matter what. So do you have no issue at all with what's going on with Addison and you feel this should be the way collegiate sports operates from now on? I'm personally not there yet.....I feel like we have to be able to reach something of a middle ground here. But I'm nowhere near smart enough to know how.
1,000% they should.

Addison isn’t under contract at Pitt, they haven’t offered him a NIl deal, therefore he’s free to take any deal he wants.

And if USC or Bama, or any school wants to take a player from another team, it’s up to that team to do what they have to do to keep’em, if they can’t oh well, tough luck. There is no fairness in Football, it’s an arms race to the top & only losers cry about not having enough guns for the War.

What’s happening with college football is called blowback. For decades & decades the NCAA generated BILLIONS of dollars worth of revenue & never shared a penny of it with it’s players & technically speaking they’re still not, but they created a system that forced players to have to have take money under the table in order to have a feasible rationalization that aligns with the economic system that sport has embedded in it anyway. So now the veil has been lifted & the light has been turned on in the room, so all the big money you see being thrown around is just a residual of years of not being able to profit from the beginning.

This NIL movement is an economic bubble, specifically an equity bubble & we’re just in the Takeoff stage of the bubble which is still in the beginning. NIL is a speculative market right now where the product is being sold at a higher valuation price than what the retainable profit is as of now, because there’s no way to know what the exact return on investment will be, even with proven commodities in accomplished players/upperclassmen like Addison. What fans who are hesitant about the whole process are waiting on is the Critical stage, where the valuation decreases & the product sells at much lower price than originally purchased, meaning most of yall are just waiting for the market to crash & if you understand economics, it absolutely will.

Markets self correct, yall want the market to preemptively corrected before it crashes simply due to fear, but that destroys incentive & makes buyers keep their money in their pocket. It’s really simple, NIL will be corrected once it starts negatively effecting the powerhouse schools, but until then it has to stay as open & unregulated as possible in order to level an unbalanced playing field.

Once the restrictions come, things will reset back to the way they were before & the only thing it will really limit is who gets to play the game. What yall want is equality, but there is no such thing as equality in competition, there will always be schools that have more than others, the only way to defeat it is with ingenuity & intelligence.

1,000% they should.

Addison isn’t under contract at Pitt, they haven’t offered him a NIl deal, therefore he’s free to take any deal he wants.

And if USC or Bama, or any school wants to take a player from another team, it’s up to that team to do what they have to do to keep’em, if they can’t oh well, tough luck. There is no fairness in Football, it’s an arms race to the top & only losers cry about not having enough guns for the War.

What’s happening with college football is called blowback. For decades & decades the NCAA generated BILLIONS of dollars worth of revenue & never shared a penny of it with it’s players & technically speaking they’re still not, but they created a system that forced players to have to have take money under the table in order to have a feasible rationalization that aligns with the economic system that sport has embedded in it anyway. So now the veil has been lifted & the light has been turned on in the room, so all the big money you see being thrown around is just a residual of years of not being able to profit from the beginning.

This NIL movement is an economic bubble, specifically an equity bubble & we’re just in the Takeoff stage of the bubble which is still in the beginning. NIL is a speculative market right now where the product is being sold at a higher valuation price than what the retainable profit is as of now, because there’s no way to know what the exact return on investment will be, even with proven commodities in accomplished players/upperclassmen like Addison. What fans who are hesitant about the whole process are waiting on is the Critical stage, where the valuation decreases & the product sells at much lower price than originally purchased, meaning most of yall are just waiting for the market to crash & if you understand economics, it absolutely will.

Markets self correct, yall want the market to preemptively corrected before it crashes simply due to fear, but that destroys incentive & makes buyers keep their money in their pocket. It’s really simple, NIL will be corrected once it starts negatively effecting the powerhouse schools, but until then it has to stay as open & unregulated as possible in order to level an unbalanced playing field.

Once the restrictions come, things will reset back to the way they were before & the only thing it will really limit is who gets to play the game. What yall want is equality, but there is no such thing as equality in competition, there will always be schools that have more than others, the only way to defeat it is with ingenuity & intelligence.

Very wisely put. I'm definitely on the hesitant side, but realize things could not stay status quo. Have been a fan of the game for while and don't want to see a further deluded product. However, obviously I'll be happier if we are one of the ones that rise to the top. Thanks for the insight.

Advertisement
And for everybody that’s feeling bad for Pitt for losing Addison, just know they already anticipated it.

They brought in two Portal WR’s this offseason in Konata Mumpfield (from Akron) & Jerrod Bub Mean (from LA Tech).

Those are two good productive WR’s with speed & playmaking ability, are they as good as Addison? Of course not, but Pitt is not left without any WR’s they’ll be fine.

But think of it like this, how Pitt feels about Addison is how Akron feels about Mumpfield, so which one are we supposed to feel sorry for? Exactly... NEITHER ONE lol.

“What if it happens to Miami?” Who’s fault is that? Ours! It’s every Man/Team for himself, it’s roll or get rolled on & you’re either rolling or getting flattened, so we better figure out to how roll or get comfortable being on the ground...

So since yall are feeling nervous about NIL, somebody tell us we roll?!?!?

Advertisement
I'd be very happy to get Addison - the fan in me would love it and would like to see Pitt be regressed.

But at the same time if yesterday Oklahoma paid Jake Garcia $5M to transfer and Michigan gave Tyler Van Dyke $7M to transfer out, I'd be upset given where we could otherwise be at the end of the 2022 season.

By this logic, if I were Mario and Ruiz and wanted to spend, I'd be reviewing every player on Alabama's roster and making a few, very high priced key offers. As long as I was also then willing to go and overpay for my existing players to stay.

I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying.

I'd just point out that many people put all the emphasis on the "offer" as being the motivator for a kid to switch schools.

But from the various things I've heard, the vast majority of these Portal kids are SELF-motivated to leave. Now, it's true, in some cases the self-motivation is NIL-related, so I am not ignoring the impact of money.

However, the kids who are happy and productive and are expecting to be drafted in a year or two...they aren't looking to leave if the local boosters will step up and offer some money-making opportunities until the NFL paychecks start.

And for everybody that’s feeling bad for Pitt for losing Addison, just know they already anticipated it.

They brought in two Portal WR’s this offseason in Konata Mumpfield (from Akron) & Jerrod Bub Mean (from LA Tech).

Those are two good productive WR’s with speed & playmaking ability, are they as good as Addison? Of course not, but Pitt is not left without any WR’s they’ll be fine.

But think of it like this, how Pitt feels about Addison is how Akron feels about Mumpfield, so which one are we supposed to feel sorry for? Exactly... NEITHER ONE lol.

“What if it happens to Miami?” Who’s fault is that? Ours! It’s every Man/Team for himself, it’s roll or get rolled on & you’re either rolling or getting flattened, so we better figure out to how roll or get comfortable being on the ground...

wrapping-chef-chris-cho.gif

That's a very short sited and racist outlook. There's rich black coaches and also white players involved with NIL as well. There's no reason to bring race into the argument. It's unnecessary and it's a flawed narrative this generation of wanting instant reward without hard work wants to push. You do realized most of these coaches didn't start off making millions of dollars. They started off at the bottom and worked their way up just like players working themselves up into becoming professional athletes making millions more at that level. In addition, most of those coaches (black/white) were former players themselves. There's a reason teams have coaches, armies have commanders, boats have captains, etc. Men/Women need to be lead by someone when trying to reach a common goal. Not saying the players don't matter, but your view in regards to the coaches is way skewed in the wrong direction.

Your argument is College football is/was/always will be unbalanced, but as long as the players are now getting paid lets let it go over the cliff and leave it broken. That just doesn't seem like a recipe for success. You do realize the more out of balance the sport becomes were there's fewer haves then have nots that's going to be less opportunities for student athletes to participate at the top division and continue to get paid with good NIL deals. There's a reason professional sports have caps, regulations, and rules in place to keep things competitive between all the teams. Otherwise, you have product not many people continue to want to watch.
Its never gonna be balanced. And if your thing is paying the players is the reason f off. Its facts, white dudes raking in millions vehemently against it. Point out the lie. Black coaches making millions....facts as well. what percentage? Show me the black coaches speaking on it like Dabo and Saban. Your whole argument is dumb. Started off the bottom? How many players they went through helping them from the so called bottom, to have their bodies destroyed and end up on the scrap heap while Dabo and Saban making millions. People watch these players as soon as they enter colleges and the coaches and conferences rake in millions. What tf thay got to do with hard work? Your name and image supposed to be hard? How many NCAA football games got sold with their image and likeness and they got nothing. Load of tripe

Advertisement

:100:

Waaaah, waaaaah, Akron and LaTech "got nothing" for having developed talent, only to lose it to Pitt.

WAAAAAAH, WAAAAAAH...

Rolling Simon Rex GIF by A24

Oh, we roll'n

Again, the timing is such that wherever he does end up - the wide receiver whose spot he will be taking has no recourse. He’s now stuck on the bench for the season.
He can enter the portal and ask for a waiver. In this case, I think he'd get it as the NCAA would want to stick it to Riley for poaching at the 12th hour.

Guys are going to start putting their names in the Portal on the last day just to have the transfer and play option if circumstances change.

people using the word tampering.

not sure it applies as there is no contractual agreement btw student and university anywhere like an nfl player and a franchise

@AtlAtty please chime in

Advertisement
Back