Jordan Addison to the portal

Advertisement
It’s got flaws in that only those with the means will benefit. I’m not sure what you do to stop that though given that these kids have a right to earn a living off their NIL and there are many ways for the wealthy to accommodate that.
If the only flaw is that kids will flock to schools who can afford to compensate them then nothing has changed because before they were just going to "bag schools" anyway. If anything, now MORE schools can compete financially because nothing needs to be done under the table.

Mofos know but still be here capping about fairness. Its like people wanna get rid of someone, they tell the hitman to do it quietly. If he does it on live, its omg, thats stomach turning. Which is what is happening with college football. Cuz ESPN and the fake coaches used to be always talking bout how many players graduate and all that bullsh!t facade.

Bring back the sit for a year after transfer rule and problem solved. Kid can still be on immediate scholarship, be immediately eligible to collect NIL, no limit to how many times they can transfer and coaches have can have no restrictions on where they go. You can even practice with the team, you just cant play in games for one year. Dont even need a cap on the number of transfers or count them against the initial 25 but the school has to allocate one of their 85 slots to that player even through the sit out year.

Transfers will still happen and if kids are unhappy or want a different opportunity they can move freely. The rich will still poach but it does keep some sort of balance and sanity to the whole thing. It wont be such a frenzied free for all if guys cant play immediately. Also solves the 25 scholarship rule and keeps the high school recruiting classes flowing normally.

I don’t know know all the details about NILso forgive for my ignorance.

Since NIL has become the Wild West and Congress not knowing what to do. Can’t Congress shift the power back to NCAA? Basically telling them “You can’t stop NIL but we are making it your job to control it”

I read last month Congress is trying to enact certain bylaws to mitigate this. U would think that would be the easy solution. I’m wondering w/ the new powers of the NCAA, will they work w/ Congress to make it fair & equitable both to the student athlete & schools to keep the spirit of competition alive, while eliminating vague language to allow boosters to openly cheat.

Advertisement
Completely worth it
It’s about setting the tone
Letting the other teams know don’t f with me
It’s about getting your opponents shook and driving up hype
Which will drive more viewers which will drive up nil money
It’s a cycle and looks like usc is really embracing it
It’s a fomo social medial time
It’s about driving up interest
He probably adds 1 win to USCs total so is it worth it for $3m for that extra W?

This mfer says Saban hates nil and that he “warned us” because he said “if this is what you want that this is what you’re gonna get” and he’s gonna be able to outspend everybody.

LOL that the school that literally has been paying people for years to go there is now warning everyone that they’re going to be able to pay people more than everyone.

But he doesn’t mention the fact that the reason people are wanting to pay more for kids to go to their school is because Bama has been paying kids illegaly to go there and so have the front runners.

The fact of the matter is they created this problem and schools that spend money on athletic facilities are upset that while they were trying hard to spend money on coaches, facilities and recruiting budgets, it didn’t matter because Alabama Georgia Ohio State and the rest of the front runners were paying the kids directly on top of what they spent on facilities. It seems like all the front runner schools were using facilities and coaches as an excuse to counter the bag game accusations.

In other words, why wouldn’t a kid want to come up here? look what we’re spending on coaches look what we’re spending on facilities. Just like Jimbo did when he was questioned about his recruiting class and he flew off the handle. He knows that they had to pay for that class.

Yeah right!! what he should’ve said was “nick Saban is warning you guys that he has been able to and will continue to pay more than you can”

Saban hates nil
Bc now he has more comp
A lot of boosters are willing to support legal deals which will ultimately be tax right offs
But they don’t want to risk doing it under the table and getting hit with something ridiculous like money laundering
Nil is the great equalizer
No system is perfect
But for the first time we are in a position to capitalize big time

I read last month Congress is trying to enact certain bylaws to mitigate this. U would think that would be the easy solution. I’m wondering w/ the new powers of the NCAA, will they work w/ Congress to make it fair & equitable both to the student athlete & schools to keep the spirit of competition alive, while eliminating vague language to allow boosters to openly cheat.
Any restrictions on the NIL one of the kids will sue. That’s what happens when there’s not a union on behalf of the student athletes.

I think that’s what needs to be done. Both sides will do well to avoid the courts.

Advertisement
Saban hates nil
Bc now he has more comp
A lot of boosters are willing to support legal deals which will ultimately be tax right offs
But they don’t want to risk doing it under the table and getting hit with something ridiculous like money laundering
Nil is the great equalizer
No system is perfect
But for the first time we are in a position to capitalize big time
200.gif

It was actually rumored for a while that he was headed to Bama but I guess that died down and they shifted their focus to Harrell. Downs’ brother is actually a 5* Safety in the 23 class.
Caleb Downs the 5-star Safety, they’re related to Dre Bly on his Mom’s side, that’s how Josh ended up at UNC.

But Caleb is most likely going to UGA, but Bama & Clemson are recruiting him pretty hard too.

UGA allegedly offered Josh a big time pay day to go back home, but he decided to stay at UNC because he’s headed to the draft after this season anyway.

I think congress will have a much tougher time than most understand. Because NIL was a US Supreme Court decision, any law that limit NIL in any way will immediately be taken to court. And the Supreme Court is not keen to allow the limitation of a right that they were the first to recognize. This issue played out over and over after Brown v. Board of Education desegregated schools, and after Roe v. Wade legalized abortions.

Advertisement
Don’t change shït until Ruiz and crew either run out of Money (never) or decide they no longer want to participate

I don’t know know all the details about NILso forgive for my ignorance.

Since NIL has become the Wild West and Congress not knowing what to do. Can’t Congress shift the power back to NCAA? Basically telling them “You can’t stop NIL but we are making it your job to control it”

Under what laws does Congress have the ability to tell adults how they may earn their money, or to mandate to individuals who and how much they can pay that money?

And this is exactly why I don’t like politics involved in sports. SCOTUS ruled that the NCAA was in violation of “Antitrust” federal laws regarding NIL. Antitrust is defined as: Laws that are statutes developed by governments to protect ‘consumers’ from predatory business practices and ensure ‘fair competition.’ This is y companies like AT&T, Kodak, Standard Oil were in violation of antitrust b/c they monopolized the telecommunication, camera/film, & oil industries respectively, ensuring no other entities could compete for decades.

In all honesty, the issue I had w/ the NCAA was from what Ed O’s lawsuit stemmed from: him having his name, image, & likeness benefiting businesses, including EA Sports, UCLA’s student store, Reebok, the NCAA tourney advertisement, etc., & him not making a single dime. THAT makes perfect sense, & that’s the nature of NIL. The NCAA shouldn’t be able to regulate how much a player make in “these arenas.”

-If Budweiser wants to feature a prominent student or student-athlete for pay, that’s their prerogative.

-If an endorser want to create a fan jersey w/ a players jersey #/name, they should get a % of that sale from the school.

-If EA or 2K wants to create a game w/ a player’s likeness, they should be able to profit.

-If a student store wants to sell autographed memorabilia, again, they should get a cut.

**BUT, if a booster wants to shell out $8m for a player b/c they can? **** no. Where’s the “fair competition” in that?

Politics should stay w/in politics. The ruling should’ve been the NCAA can no longer hold students back from making $$ off their name, image, & likeness, but it needs to be in the spirit of name, image, & likeness, not a bidding war to get a player to come to ur school.

When a person like Desmond Howard, who’s been pro NIL throughout, comes out & say this system is flawed, it’s flawed. It is the Wild, Wild West. I saw a poster, I believe it was @AtlAtty who said NCAA should go pro model & treat every player like a FA. Well, even in the NFL there’s rules & regulations regarding FA. There’s tampering which is from all parties involved (trainers, coaches, equipment mgr, etc.), there’s a window for FA, & there’s this thing called a contract which is to be fulfilled, first, b4 a player enters FA.

So if the NCAA goes that model, that means by rights of the Universities, they should be able to offer “renewable” scholarships, meaning ur scholarship allocations are year to year vs. a 4 yr ride. U see in pro sports, there’s something called a contract, & that contract, although lucrative, has the team’s interest in mind. There’s language involved to protect the team. So if we get to that point, that’ll open up a whole new can of worms, which players would have to be unionized, which is almost impossible b/c there’s different governing laws for FBS & FCS. This is the slippery slope of this NIL that SCOTUS & Congress did not intend, b/c NO ONE thought this through, & now it’s buyers remorse.
I agree with your sentiments about mixing politics and sports…but…

I’m no lawyer but I don’t believe SCOTUS is responsible for defining NIL regulations. The NCAA limiting student-athlete income derived from the student-athlete’s name, image, and likeness was illegal. Although the ruling was a paperweight of pages and opinions, it’s that simple.

The schools, through membership in their governing body, the NCAA, need to define how NIL works, and within established law. The problem is the schools do not care about the health of the sport as a whole, or at least lack the foresight to see how damaged CFB has become.

The sport is broken, corrupt, and sadly, won’t be fixed. E$PN will make sure of that.

Comparisons to the NFL aren’t equivalent. Owners realized decades ago that true competition was best for all involved and have modified their ownership agreements, financial structure, and player-bargaining agreements around those principles. The players bought in too.

CFB has no principles. The $EC poaching Texas and Oklahoma is clear evidence.

I agree we do not want Congress involved. For one, they have more important duties, and two, they couldn’t fix the problem.

Boosters and Collectives negotiating NIL deals with high schoolers and back channel-poaching players from other CFB teams is like Dark Money in politics. We all know about it but there’s little to nothing we can do about it.

Rambling, and maybe wrong, but that’s my opinion.

Advertisement
I think congress will have a much tougher time than most understand. Because NIL was a US Supreme Court decision, any law that limit NIL in any way will immediately be taken to court. And the Supreme Court is not keen to allow the limitation of a right that they were the first to recognize. This issue played out over and over after Brown v. Board of Education desegregated schools, and after Roe v. Wade legalized abortions.
You’re the attorney…at this stage wouldn’t NIL regulations limiting player deals require player approval? A union, or at least an association negotiating a collective agreement with the NCAA, or perhaps a conference?

Schools agreeing to limit deals would be collusion, no?

States limiting deals would never fly since it creates an imbalance. We saw that Day One.

And this is exactly why I don’t like politics involved in sports. SCOTUS ruled that the NCAA was in violation of “Antitrust” federal laws regarding NIL. Antitrust is defined as: Laws that are statutes developed by governments to protect ‘consumers’ from predatory business practices and ensure ‘fair competition.’ This is y companies like AT&T, Kodak, Standard Oil were in violation of antitrust b/c they monopolized the telecommunication, camera/film, & oil industries respectively, ensuring no other entities could compete for decades.

In all honesty, the issue I had w/ the NCAA was from what Ed O’s lawsuit stemmed from: him having his name, image, & likeness benefiting businesses, including EA Sports, UCLA’s student store, Reebok, the NCAA tourney advertisement, etc., & him not making a single dime. THAT makes perfect sense, & that’s the nature of NIL. The NCAA shouldn’t be able to regulate how much a player make in “these arenas.”

-If Budweiser wants to feature a prominent student or student-athlete for pay, that’s their prerogative.

-If an endorser want to create a fan jersey w/ a players jersey #/name, they should get a % of that sale from the school.

-If EA or 2K wants to create a game w/ a player’s likeness, they should be able to profit.

-If a student store wants to sell autographed memorabilia, again, they should get a cut.

**BUT, if a booster wants to shell out $8m for a player b/c they can? **** no. Where’s the “fair competition” in that?

Politics should stay w/in politics. The ruling should’ve been the NCAA can no longer hold students back from making $$ off their name, image, & likeness, but it needs to be in the spirit of name, image, & likeness, not a bidding war to get a player to come to ur school.

When a person like Desmond Howard, who’s been pro NIL throughout, comes out & say this system is flawed, it’s flawed. It is the Wild, Wild West. I saw a poster, I believe it was @AtlAtty who said NCAA should go pro model & treat every player like a FA. Well, even in the NFL there’s rules & regulations regarding FA. There’s tampering which is from all parties involved (trainers, coaches, equipment mgr, etc.), there’s a window for FA, & there’s this thing called a contract which is to be fulfilled, first, b4 a player enters FA.

So if the NCAA goes that model, that means by rights of the Universities, they should be able to offer “renewable” scholarships, meaning ur scholarship allocations are year to year vs. a 4 yr ride. U see in pro sports, there’s something called a contract, & that contract, although lucrative, has the team’s interest in mind. There’s language involved to protect the team. So if we get to that point, that’ll open up a whole new can of worms, which players would have to be unionized, which is almost impossible b/c there’s different governing laws for FBS & FCS. This is the slippery slope of this NIL that SCOTUS & Congress did not intend, b/c NO ONE thought this through, & now it’s buyers remorse.
Animated GIF

You’re the attorney…at this stage wouldn’t NIL regulations limiting player deals require player approval? A union, or at least an association negotiating a collective agreement with the NCAA, or perhaps a conference?

Schools agreeing to limit deals would be collusion, no?

States limiting deals would never fly since it creates an imbalance. We saw that Day One.
I don’t think we want a union situation. A union would be empowered to make deals and allow the NCAA in to exert some control which i fear would be to the advantage of their bag buddies in the SEC. It might help even things out but I’m not sure it helps us. We need a labor law expert in here. I didn’t even take it in law school. Lol

Advertisement
Back