Jordan Addison to the portal

As a "booster" I used to get information about contacting recruits or offering them anything to entice them to choose the school I supported. Is it now completely acceptable by the NCAA rules that a booster contacts a player on another team offering him an NIL deal if transfers? I don't know what is happening now but it looks like it is the wild west and I honestly don't like it. But this is just me I guess.
I don’t know that they use language like “if you transfer”. They use terms like “x amount of appearances during the season in Coral Gables at my car dealership on Sundays. X amount of appearances on Tuesday and Thursday nights in the off-season between January and June…”

Advertisement
I don’t know that they use language like “if you transfer”. They use terms like “x amount of appearances during the season in Coral Gables at my car dealership on Sundays. X amount of appearances on Tuesday and Thursday nights in the off-season between January and June…”
I see your point but still that is a very thinly veiled invitation to transfer that is clear as day. We were not supposed to even offer HS kids free meals if we show our affiliation with Miami lol

I see your point but still that is a very thinly veiled invitation to transfer that is clear as day. We were not supposed to even offer HS kids free meals if we show our affiliation with Miami lol
The courts affirmed NIL. The NCAA can’t do a thing. It’s not what it was when you got that letter. Boosters can very easily skirt that now.

Exactly. Save a bunch of money on the high school recruiting budget.
In reality most college players give their schools 2 productive seasons. Few are good enough to play as freshman and if they are really good, they leave early for the league. So get them as transfers for 1-2 seasons and then get the next one for 1-2 seasons.

Like @Cribby wrote, I am advocating the professional model. Every college player is effectively an unrestricted free agent. So treat them as such. The only negative I can see is that you have lots of roster upheaval from year to year. But again, if a guy has already prove his worth on the field, is not a problem in locker room or classroom, then he is less likely to be a problem at his new school than an 18 year old who still has to learn to deal with the completely new world of college life.

Necessity is the mother of invention and Lane is smart enough to recognize that he will never be able to “out-recruit” his SEC competitors for high school talent as he lacks the budget and the private jets and the small army of analysts to pore over every bit of 4 years of high school film. So why try? Beat the competitors using the new rules instead of the old.

How long before Saban jumps on this model? Give him one 5 star bust at QB and he will change.
It depends. Under the old system It costs him at most $300K to get a top rated HS recruit. His total recruiting spend was probably no more than $12M under the old rules.

Thats changed.

Tenn just raised the price to $6M for a HS QB.

Let’s say Saban wanted to poach a Vince Young entering his third year today, or a Trevor Lawrence. Rather than $6M, it might take $12M or more to get the college QB to jump. Then add in lesser amounts for other positions. So in the end to field a team of college all stars rather than high school all stars, Saban could end up having to spend $60M to $70M per year. Maybe Alabama is up for that, maybe not. I doubt it personally.

Exactly. Save a bunch of money on the high school recruiting budget.
In reality most college players give their schools 2 productive seasons. Few are good enough to play as freshman and if they are really good, they leave early for the league. So get them as transfers for 1-2 seasons and then get the next one for 1-2 seasons.

Like @Cribby wrote, I am advocating the professional model. Every college player is effectively an unrestricted free agent. So treat them as such. The only negative I can see is that you have lots of roster upheaval from year to year. But again, if a guy has already prove his worth on the field, is not a problem in locker room or classroom, then he is less likely to be a problem at his new school than an 18 year old who still has to learn to deal with the completely new world of college life.

Necessity is the mother of invention and Lane is smart enough to recognize that he will never be able to “out-recruit” his SEC competitors for high school talent as he lacks the budget and the private jets and the small army of analysts to pore over every bit of 4 years of high school film. So why try? Beat the competitors using the new rules instead of the old.

How long before Saban jumps on this model? Give him one 5 star bust at QB and he will change.
It’s probably already started with Saban. IMO it breaks the financial bubble that was created in recruiting. I think eventually losing a high school recruit to the $ec teams outbidding us 300k in bags etc will start to dimmer down due the Sabans of the world focusing more of their attention on more proven commodities via the portal. Eventually I can see that working to our advantage as far as high school recruits from our backyard no longer receiving the exaggerated amounts of “love” they had prior to NIL.
I could see that netting us a couple of Jason marshals or Shemar Stewart types in addition of all the other things that are going our way. In general, there is about to be much more parody in CFB over the next ten years versus what we had to witness in these past ten.

My apologies for contributing to any derailment. Back to Jordan Addison. Would love to get him. Obviously. Would be one of the most impactful transfers we have ever poached.

Advertisement
It depends. Under the old system It costs him at most $300K to get a top rated HS recruit. His total recruiting spend was probably no more than $12M under the old rules.

Thats changed.

Tenn just raised the price to $6M for a HS QB.

Let’s say Saban wanted to poach a Vince Young entering his third year today, or a Trevor Lawrence. Rather than $6M, it might take $12M or more to get the college QB to jump. Then add in lesser amounts for other positions. So in the end to field a team of college all stars rather than high school all stars, Saban could end up having to spend $60M to $70M per year. Maybe Alabama is up for that, maybe not. I doubt it personally.
Tenn overpaying for a qb didn’t reset the market.

I’m glad he tweeted it and said it. Some of those he referenced are right here on CIS…
It pains/the hate them to see these young men and women with new cars/trucks and huge financial deals. Now the system isn’t sustainable, spending is out of control, tampering and something needs be done etc. . .Smh

Where were all these systemic change advocates when Alabama and Georgia and LSU were having their way with recruits?

Now Miami is playing on a field which is somewhat more level, at least more than it was before, and it’s a big issue.

Advertisement
Tenn overpaying for a qb didn’t reset the market.
Not yet, but it set the ceiling for a prominent HS qb. How much moreso would a prominent college QB command? Let’s take an RGIII - under current state how much would it cost to pry him from Baylor? Because that’s what I am talking about. If we’re talking about an Alabama...that’s the type of player they would be going after...just like they go after 5 star high school players

They gave up:
44 points to Western Michigan
34 to Tennessee
38 to our CANES
38 to Virginia
31 to Michigan State and we're never really in that game.

They've now lost their 1st round QB and people think they we're going to be a playoff team.

If thats the case we should be in the NC game with this thinking. hahahah

Playoff team no. But if you haven’t looked at their schedule which is weak AF right now. They could easily win 10-11 games before the Addison departure.

Not a GREAT team on that schedule. Their weakness was the secondary. And they got torched their. But they are one of the top 5 front sevens nationally on defense. With a good and experienced OL returning.

Again without Addison I see a 8-9 win club. With him it would not shock me if they had won 10-11 games in 2022. Due to that hoe *** schedule they have this year.

Playoff team no. But if you haven’t looked at their schedule which is weak AF right now. They could easily win 10-11 games before the Addison departure.

Not a GREAT team on that schedule. Their weakness was the secondary. And they got torched their. But they are one of the top 5 front sevens nationally on defense. With a good and experienced OL returning.

Again without Addison I see a 8-9 win club. With him it would not shock me if they had won 10-11 games in 2022. Due to that hoe *** schedule they have this year.

You may very well be right. I haven’t even looked at their schedule.

But I will say this, it has nothing to do with what you’re talking about, but their fūcking coach rubs me the wrong way. I don’t know what it is about that guy - I want to punch him in the mouth.

Advertisement

But I will say this, it has nothing to do with what you’re talking about, but their fūcking coach rubs me the wrong way. I don’t know what it is about that guy - I want to punch him in the mouth.

Narruzzi is 1-6 vs Miami… of course that 2017 loss stings the most but he definitely hasn’t lit the world on fire vs Miami

UNC dropped off tremendously after losing their 2 NFL backs and their 2 NFL WRs. Pitt is about to lose their best player and obviously replacing their 1st round QB, on top of breaking in a new system. I agree, they will be nowhere close to last season.
Pitt has better coaching than unc..and better eye for evaluating talent honestly
If Oitt can get production at qb they will be a tough out..they have a run game, and had this addison kid..now they have replaced him with a solid kid out of la tech so we can see. But they will forever be solid in both lines. They evaluate really well on both.
That’s the position Saban somehow whiffed for a class or two.
Dont think he did whiff. They had early entry to the draft..for some reason ppl always forget that it similar to us at De. We forever have a De leave early and it eventually effects the depth

Narruzzi is 1-6 vs Miami… of course that 2017 loss stings the most but he definitely hasn’t lit the world on fire vs Miami

I know, it’s almost weird isn’t it? I mean we have lost the crappier teams than them. He gets really ****ed off when he loses to us, too.

Advertisement
I’m glad he tweeted it and said it. Some of those he referenced are right here on CIS…
It pains/the hate them to see these young men and women with new cars/trucks and huge financial deals. Now the system isn’t sustainable, spending is out of control, tampering and something needs be done etc. . .Smh
Mark Emmett will surely come up with a plan everyone will agree on

I know our record against them. I’m only speaking for their overall record.

And at this moment I see Pitt, Miami, and UNC (if Drake Maye is for real) as the big 3 competing for the coastal.

Miami fans assuming we blow past every coastal opponent is dangerous. We been to the ACCCG one time fam.

I’m going to adjust my expectations for Mario.

After the portal additions I don’t think we are a 8-4 club.

9-3 seems about right and I swear I hope this team surprises all of us and splits TAMU/CLEM.

But when we set ourselves up for disappointment…………when we all know we have roster issues. We brought some dudes in and I want to see how they piece these guys together before I get all 15-0!

And yes fuccccc Pitt and Narduzzi.

I know our record against them. I’m only speaking for their overall record.

And at this moment I see Pitt, Miami, and UNC (if Drake Maye is for real) as the big 3 competing for the coastal.

Miami fans assuming we blow past every coastal opponent is dangerous. We been to the ACCCG one time fam.

I’m going to adjust my expectations for Mario.

After the portal additions I don’t think we are a 8-4 club.

9-3 seems about right and I swear I hope this team surprises all of us and splits TAMU/CLEM.

But when we set ourselves up for disappointment…………when we all know we have roster issues. We brought some dudes in and I want to see how they piece these guys together before I get all 15-0!

And yes fuccccc Pitt and Narduzzi.

Our draft performance concluding this weekend, should tell everyone our roster issues. For whatever reason we don’t have as much talent as people think we do, even though we may have ranked higher in recruiting than some other teams, I think our evaluations in the past have been really off for a lot of players.

I think your approach is the best, I think it’s reasonable to expect around 9 wins, and consider anything above that gravy.

I didn't see that at all. Pitt last year record was an anomoly. I don't think u man realize how hard it is to win double digit games back to back.

Advertisement
Back