Jon Rothstein at Miami

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m way more excited about 6-8 this year than last year. We’ll see how that translates…

I’m betting big on George and Casey. And for Watson the only question is how bad he wants it.
I think it'll be hard for #6 this year to surpass last year's #6 - Joseph was an absolute menace defensively and shot nearly 40% from 3.

But I think we have a good shot to be much better than at #7 (Walker) and #8 (Bev/Casey)

I’m way more excited about 6-8 this year than last year. We’ll see how that translates…

I’m betting big on George and Casey. And for Watson the only question is how bad he wants it.
I'm with you all the way on George. Excited to see him play and expecting he'll show out very well.

Casey, to me, is still more of a hope. The French trip was encouraging for him but I still wanna see him have (1) the confidence to take mid-range jump shots, and (2) the ability to make a decent percentage. Without that mid-range game I'm not sure how much of a factor he can be.

Watson and the rest, who knows?

Advertisement

Love the Nwoko jump hook over Casey. That is all we need him to do this season when given the opportunity. We will work him in slowly but if he can give us 5 to 8 quality minutes a night we are rolling. Just a bigger body on defense. Hope he picks up our system quickly. We are very long coming off the bench.

I'm with you all the way on George. Excited to see him play and expecting he'll show out very well.

Casey, to me, is still more of a hope. The French trip was encouraging for him but I still wanna see him have (1) the confidence to take mid-range jump shots, and (2) the ability to make a decent percentage. Without that mid-range game I'm not sure how much of a factor he can be.

Watson and the rest, who knows?

Casey was ranked 60th on the ESPN 100 and he showed out in France. He has all the tools… you’re right that he has to show it in league play, but I’m betting/hoping/expecting that will happen.

Love the Nwoko jump hook over Casey. That is all we need him to do this season when given the opportunity. We will work him in slowly but if he can give us 5 to 8 quality minutes a night we are rolling. Just a bigger body on defense. Hope he picks up our system quickly. We are very long coming off the bench.
One more thing about the hook. That was with his off hand.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Figured our guys off the bench would be Watson, Casey, George, Nwoko.

I think Casey takes that next step and the other guys will for sure be upgrades over Walker and Beverly
Larranaga said guard Bensley Joseph will be the team’s fifth starter: “He’s had a major role coming off the bench, and now he’ll move into the starting lineup. He’s a catalyst, a guy that will make things happen. He has the ability to put tremendous pressure on the other team’s ball handler, can also guard a [shooting] guard. He can defend, and he can rebound. “On the offensive end he is an exceptional, high-percentage three-point shooter. He’ll be given more ball-handling responsibility, will share that with Nijel Pack, who is also an outstanding point guard.”

And Larranaga said guard Christian Watson and center AJ Casey will have a “major role” off the bench. “Our bench needs experience,” Larranaga said. “We have some good solid players but they haven’t played enough college basketball to really produce at a very high level. My job, my assistant coaches’ job is prepare these guys who are the sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth man to really contribute. “We have to develop a bench. Hopefully we can develop that bench. … We have to have some of these freshmen and sophomores really step up.” UM people have been raving about freshman wing Kyshawn George.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article278141167.html#storylink=cpy

Don’t forget Nwoko. He is unpolished but his physicality translates right away to the college game.

Coaching staff/players mention him unprompted a lot, which is probably a good sign for him. Similarly, nobody ever mentions Jakai, soooo

Season 3 Episode 302 GIF by Rick and Morty

Advertisement
Back