Johnny Ford 18' - Coral Gables RB

As everyone else is saying, the speed is insane. Reminds me a lot of De'Anthony Thomas out of Oregon a few years back. Someone we can move around the field and get the ball to in space. Dont predict we use him a lot between the tackles though, even in college he will get destroyed by linebackers up the middle

Advertisement
If we can't get Lingard or Cook I would think he lands an offer but Richt hasn't offered too many 2018 backs yet as I think Lingard, Cook and Christian Turner are the only interested backs with offers so who knows. I hope Chris Curry gets offered soon though.

Secure one speedster than go after an elite one is what we should do imo

I'd be fine with that strategy but I think Richt wants one speed back (Lingard or Cook) and one power back (Turner or Curry)...anyone would obviously take both Cook and Lingard if they both wanted in but I don't see that happening

I like the idea of a little dude or two like Quadree Henderson from Pitt. That dude's tiny but lit it up this year. Shivers and Ford are in that mold.

Has offers from FIU and FAU. He's a matchup nightmare, but might be best served in the spread. He's short but he packs a punch. I was telling a few people the other day that I think he's on the same level as Shaun Shivers from Chaminade.

He loves the U

I think he's a take as an apb, returner, and slot guy...I'd actually offer him right now. Like Shivers, but I give him the edge over Shivers.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If we can't get Lingard or Cook I would think he lands an offer but Richt hasn't offered too many 2018 backs yet as I think Lingard, Cook and Christian Turner are the only interested backs with offers so who knows. I hope Chris Curry gets offered soon though.

All those dudes are studs, I honestly would make Curry the top priority if I had to rank em, even ahead of Lingard...The kid is perfect for a team that wants to pound the ball.

Can't go wrong with any of them.

Has offers from FIU and FAU. He's a matchup nightmare, but might be best served in the spread. He's short but he packs a punch. I was telling a few people the other day that I think he's on the same level as Shaun Shivers from Chaminade.

He loves the U

I like versatile small speed guys that can be used in the run ans pass games. Jaws (Ron Jaworski) did a piece on the Pats and how they use Dion Lewis and James White, mentioning it is virtually impossible for LB'ers to guard them in the passing game and if you come up it opens the middle of the field up for the TE, Amendola and Edleman who are both undersized. It's my belief that Richt and our OC Brown lack either the desire or acumen to take advantage of the skills of the many small but extremely skilled backs in SoFl. An OC who lacks know how, imagination and versatility in their offense is like an artist doing face paintings at carnivals.

I know Richt is a bit of a size queen, but what about Brown? Would hate this to be a T.Y. Hilton scenario (small but blazing fast kid who pops with the ball in his hand but doesn't get p5 offers because he's undersized and never gets a UM offer).

Also, looks like Ford took an unofficial to ND for the Canes game.

Maybe he'll be our local burner in the '18 class....

Gables has given us some quality ball players over the years.

If anyone has seen him play in person, this dude is the most electrifying player from Dade. Listed at 5'8 170 lbs -- he constantly throws up the U as well.

Is he UM material? I don't believe he currently has an offer; does he project to be a RB at the next level? [video]http://www.hudl.com/v/1CrBL5[/video]

Advertisement
None of our backs is big. Not one.

With Walton, Burns, and MacFarland all being "bigger" backs (not 220 bigger but in the 200 range) I wouldn't mind a rangy scat-back like this that we could move around the field.

Like him as a 2nd back in the RB class. Maybe we could take him as a slot WR too if we miss out on Harley this year

As Pete said, though, this kid should be looking to play for a true spread team if he wants to maximize his usage

Advertisement
I coached this kid years ago when he played travel basketball. He is extremely athletic and physically tough. But we had several problems with him. He is not very coachable and doesn't take criticism well. When things don't go his way he shuts down. We had this happen numerous times. He may have since matured but kids with this type of character are not prized recruits.

Advertisement
I'm thinking Darren Sproles when I see him. Sometimes you just got to see a football player, not size and say I can do something with that.

Here is a local 2018 RB that has really grown physically and production wise in last year or so. He was about 186 pounds about a year ago now a solid 5-11/205. Good weight room numbers 300 bench and 425 squat. Deceiving speed as he glides like when he runs but has power and is a very good receiver. On the track team has run a 100m in 11.20 very good considering he just running last February. Kid will qualify with ease as he has brains and offers from Ivy league schools due to his GPA. Took over the load when Burns was out. Many said the O-line at Gulliver was not too good this year which says even more about this guy.

James Jackson IV - Hudl

Last edited:
Here is a local 2018 RB that has really grown physically and production wise in last year or so. He was about 186 pounds about a year ago now a solid 5-11/205. Good weight room numbers 300 bench and 465 squat. Deceiving speed as he glides like when he runs but has power and is a very good receiver. On the track team has run a 100m in 11.20 just running this year. Kid will qualify with ease as he has brains and offers from Ivy league schools due to his GPA. Took over load when Burns was out. Many said the O-line at Gulliver was not too good this year which says even more about this guy.

James Jackson IV - Hudl

He was at a Nike about a year ago and is a legit 5-11. Looks like he could weigh 215-220 with no loss of speed. Tough inside runner also.

Here is a local 2018 RB that has really grown physically and production wise in last year or so. He was about 186 pounds about a year ago now a solid 5-11/205. Good weight room numbers 300 bench and 425 squat. Deceiving speed as he glides like when he runs but has power and is a very good receiver. On the track team has run a 100m in 11.20 very good considering he just running last February. Kid will qualify with ease as he has brains and offers from Ivy league schools due to his GPA. Took over the load when Burns was out. Many said the O-line at Gulliver was not too good this year which says even more about this guy.

James Jackson IV - Hudl

That O-line is bad-not good and not all that big. Look at his highlights and the penetration into the backfield is continual. Kid is busting tackles behind the line to make a lot of his nice runs. He would do great with a decent O-line.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back