Joaquin says......

Advertisement
Yeah guys won’t go awol the night before the game and still start. Or quit during the season and then beg them to come back the next year.
the don godfather GIF

**** yeah. Accountability is something that's been missing from this program for a while. It's a way of life and something I teach my children daily. It has been challenging recently tho watching us play and I have to explain the photo shoot after a turnover when we down three scores.
That’s not challenging that’s an easy explanation: “See that? Don’t do that.”

Advertisement
This is an amazing move. “Those who know Mario understand the expectation that he puts on himself and those around him. If you have the pleasure of being coached by him, you quickly understand that. I’m excited beyond words. I’ve wanted this for quite some time. He’s the guy who can put all the pieces together. Mario is real. He’s not a lisp service guy.

Joaquin didn’t hold back, shots fired!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Former UM All-American offensive lineman Joaquin Gonzalez, who got to know Cristobal when the coach was a graduate assistant during Gonzalez’s time at UM, said the level of accountability in the program is about to change.

“Talking to him, you will understand the intensity and the tone that just encapsulates what Mario is all about,” Gonzalez said by phone on Monday. “There will be no dancing on the sideline when you’re losing to FIU. No Tate Martell coming in and out of the building like it’s his personal vacation spot. “There will be a different tone in the building. With Mario, you get a package, and he’s been successful everywhere. This is a guy that will totally change the attitude in the building. The tone in the building will change.

This is an amazing move. “Those who know Mario understand the expectation that he puts on himself and those around him. If you have the pleasure of being coached by him, you quickly understand that. I’m excited beyond words. I’ve wanted this for quite some time. He’s the guy who can put all the pieces together. Mario is real. He’s not a lip service guy.”

Gonzalez — a Miami Columbus High alum, like Cristobal — expects upgrades in two other areas, too: the staff and recruiting. “He’s won the top recruiter award for three years, and [offensive line coach] Alex Mirabal [was named 247 Sports’ top Pacific-12 recruiter] last year,” Gonzalez said. “In terms of recruiting, no doubt there’s an upgrade. “In terms of selecting a staff and putting people around him, that’s one of his strengths — picking the right staff. Eight of the 10 coaches on our 2000, 2001 staffs became head coaches in the college or the pros. Having [good assistants] will help in [player] development, which is a key thing we’ve been missing.”

When Gonzalez made his speech after entering UM’s Hall of Fame, he said the top three coaches that were most influential to his career were Mirabal (his offensive line coach at Columbus), Cristobal and former UM offensive line coach Art Kehoe. Gonzalez said he expects Mirabal to join Cristobal at UM “in some capacity.” Besides his role as Oregon’s offensive line coach, he also has an “associate head coach” title with the Ducks.

I'm excited too about this O-line lineage that has been so sorely missed since Art Kehoe. I played the position through college; to have this coming back to the Canes, will finally address the deficiency in Miami's reputation of supposedly having more talent on the field than opponents, but still finding ways to lose to them.

I got into a discussion with a couple of twinkies a few weeks ago who were shocked at that D-line Coach who blew up at his guys on the bus that some candy-*** shared on social media. They said you can't treat today's athletes that way; they won't respond to that. Really? Football is a still a violent game. I don't think those discerning pantywaists are going to be comfortable with the changing of the guard, but most everybody else will revel in the corresponding change of culture. Those sideline antics always said it all, and Gonzalez just gave the perspective from a true competitor's view, not a fan's view or someone who thinks they know the game because they can tap on a Madden control.

Get ready! Accountability appears to finally and truly be coming. Good things will follow close behind.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back