JJ to NFL Hall Of Fame

Advertisement
The f'n man....
Brag Ric Flair GIF by WWE

Advertisement
Yes, JJ was great. Smart, hard working, and a great motivator.

He was really a surprise. He came into UM as an unknown, with a 30-25 record at Oklahoma State. I actually saw his team in a minor bowl at the end of his last season their but didn't pay much attention because I had no idea he would be our coach the following year. He took a lot of crap publicly over the years, often lambasted by the media around the country and probably in the Communist countries, too, but I don't know for sure since I don't read Russian or Chinese.

I tried to find out some more about him after he was named (instead of Tom Olivadotti, who was seen by many as the logical hire). There wasn't much info available back then. We had no internet and prophecy was still doing mainly religious stuff. (Now everyone is in to sports).

When JJ won the NC after the '87 season, Schnelly gave him props, when a lot said he did it with the latter's players. Schnelly said maybe a lot of those players were already there or had just been signed by Howard's staff, but, as Schnelly said, "Somebody's got to coach them."

He was really a surprise. He came into UM as an unknown, with a 30-25 record at Oklahoma State. I actually saw his team in a minor bowl at the end of his last season their but didn't pay much attention because I had no idea he would be our coach the following year. He took a lot of crap publicly over the years, often lambasted by the media around the country and probably in the Communist countries, too, but I don't know for sure since I don't read Russian or Chinese.

I tried to find out some more about him after he was named (instead of Tom Olivadotti, who was seen by many as the logical hire). There wasn't much info available back then. We had no internet and prophecy was still doing mainly religious stuff. (Now everyone is in to sports).

When JJ won the NC after the '87 season, Schnelly gave him props, when a lot said he did it with the latter's players. Schnelly said maybe a lot of those players were already there or had just been signed by Howard's staff, but, as Schnelly said, "Somebody's got to coach them."
You win a title in year 4, you pretty much own it.

Olivetti as a Logical hire??....Thank God that didn't happen....JJ discarded Olivadotti's Defense, for a much Faster D...and a more Attacking Defensive line....

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmy built one of the best defenses in the league with the Dolphins. He drafted Zack Thomas, Sam Madison, Patrick Surtain and Jason Taylor and brought in Brock Marion. That was a Super Bowl defense for YEARS, even after Wannstedt took the job. Not the brightest HC of all time but even his years under Jimmy taught him not to mess w a good thing. In 2004, with a 2-11 record, they snapped a big Patriots winning streak, with Jimmy's defense and all of those same guys he drafted. I still remember Belichick in the post game when asked what happened. He shrugged and said, "I told you. That's why the Dolphins lead the league in pass defense every year."

Jimmy's eye for talent never left him. Keeping Marino there was holding the offense back. Something else was going on.

Advertisement
Back