JJ bumping players down a position

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
This gets repeated so much that it's gospel. I'm sure there were several instances of it or it would've never started being so heavily discussed, but can any of you old-timers cite several examples of him doing this? I'm wondering (not doubting, generally curious) if this is one of those things that has a grain of truth but took on a life of it's own, or if he really did this as frequently as is implied. Thanks for anyone who can provide factual info here in advance.

Advertisement
Antonio coley, number 1 safety coming out of hs, moved to lb. Darren krein went from AA lb to d end.

Advertisement
Stubbs was recruited as a LB by Howard and Jimmy made him an end. I think Randy was a safety in highschool and Jimmy made him an olb.

I think Hawkins was and end an Jimmy made him a DT, but I might be talking out of my *** on that one.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Randal Hill was regarded as one of the best h.s cb's in the country, and Jimmy moved him to wr. I think Rusty Medearis was a LB in h.s. Leon Searcy was a def lineman in h.s.

I thought Tony Coley was Erickson era.

Stubbs would fit the bill. Medearis/Krein - thought they were Erickson guys too.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm guessing you mean players that really haven't grown much, but still move up to utilize their speed.

Many players outgrow their HS positions and move "up" in college. So, just moving up doesn't necessarily match what you are talking about (if I read you correctly). Also, guys shifting from one side of the ball to the other isn't that unusual either.

Different era, which people seem to never, ever want to consider. These days the big guys are WAY more athletic than they were 20 or 30 years ago. You would drop a guy to add athleticism... but these days the best guys are BIG, FAST, and ATHLETIC. "Drop" guys down today and they will get eaten alive by SEC-type athletes. There are exceptions, but its a different game.

Advertisement
Back