Jimmy and Joes

After rewatching the film, here is what stood out to me.

1. Jaelin Phillips is good but he's not that good. He could declare and I wouldn't care.
2. North Carolina watched a ton of film on us and exposed us. Dline didn't hold gap integrity and NC picked us apart. We played right into their hands.
3. Bradley Jennings can no longer ever be considered a "good" player, or "that's he is getting better", he loss all credibility as well as future credibility after his performance against NC.
4. Gilbert Frierson is NOT a LB. He needs to play safety.
5. Amari Carter had the worst game of all the players who play Saturday (saying alot).
6. We need LBs desperately. Steed played terribly. The only LB we have that is a dude (right now) is Flagg. I'm optimistic about TAC.
7. James Williams better be ready to play SAM LB, and learn that position quickly.
8. I thought DJ Ivey was bad, not terrible. After Saturday, he confirmed that he is terrible. Can't get off of blocks and gets burnt. We need to recruit corners with "instincts" not projects. Ex: Couch

I blame Manny for this.

Why is Amari Carter in and not Keontra Smith?
Why is Zach Mcloud starting? Manny must think he is great at practice, idk.
Manny needs to play the best player and ignore how old the player is or how experienced he is.

My quick thoughts on coaching - if you think Manny is going to hire a DC to run a different defense I would call you crazy. This is Manny's defense. What would be okay with me is fire Mike Rumph and keep Baker. Make some personal adjustments and keep up the recruiting. I like this 2021 class a lot, and I think there will be freshmen that will play right away. Some of the players starting on defense wouldn't even start for FAU. Make your personal adjustments Manny and we will get better.

Advertisement
Outside of getting absolutely dominated up and down the field, the most frustrating thing to any die hard fan was the fact that Mccloud was logging MAJOR SNAPS. The seniority complex in this program has to go. When you are consistently that bad as a 5 year guy, the young guys have to take those snaps. From a program building perspective it absolutely hurts your program to continuously throw out the 5 year guy who isn’t getting it done as compared to giving those snaps to the younger guys who are learning and are the future of this program. It’s been repeated at nauseum on this board since Saturday, but it really is amateur hour on the defensive side of the ball

Last edited:
So.....just to be clear...it would be ok with you to fire Rumph and Keep Baker?
Just want to make sure I read that correctly.

Yep lets keep mannys scheme.....you know the one that has been on the receiving end of two 500+ rushing games. The same scheme that makes any QB that has any accuracy at all into a Heisman contender.

"North Carolina watched a ton of film on us and exposed us. Dline didn't hold gap integrity and NC picked us apart. We played right into their hands."

Very True!

Advertisement

Yep lets keep mannys scheme.....you know the one that has been on the receiving end of two 500+ rushing games. The same scheme that makes any QB that has any accuracy at all into a Heisman contender.
To be clear, I don't think Manny will fire Blake Baker because Blake knows Manny's defense inside and out. And it would shock me to see Manny bring in a different DC with a different scheme. So what are the alternatives, keep Baker and fire Rumph. Mike Rumph can not coach or recruit. You can't be bad at both.

The only & I mean only chance Manny has is firing the entire D staff & brining in elite totally fresh blood running a totally new scheme.

Advertisement
To be clear, I don't think Manny will fire Blake Baker because Blake knows Manny's defense inside and out. And it would shock me to see Manny bring in a different DC with a different scheme. So what are the alternatives, keep Baker and fire Rumph. Mike Rumph can not coach or recruit. You can't be bad at both.

Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic

The only & I mean only chance Manny has is firing the entire D staff & brining in elite totally fresh blood running a totally new scheme.
Yup. If he does this he has a chance. Golden had this opportunity and kept Dorrito and the rest is history.......

Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic
william yes GIF by The Voice UK

Outside of getting absolutely dominated up and down the field, the most frustrating thing to any die hard fan was the fact that Mccloud was logging MAJOR SNAPS. The seniority complex in this program has to go. When you are consistently that bad as a 5 year guy, the young guys have to take those snaps. From a program building perspective it absolutely hurts your program to continuously throw out the 5 year guy who isn’t getting it done as compared to giving those snaps to the younger guys who are learning and are the future of this program. It’s been repeated at nauseum on this board since Saturday, but it really is amateur hour on the defensive side of the ball
There is a glaring lack of accountability. ‘Nough said.

Advertisement

This. He allowed two prestigious schools to look like DIII football. I don't know how ppl are defending this. Makes no sense. None whatsoever.

agree something is terribly wrong, when you get smoke everytime you play a quality team I think its more than the DB coach :

There is a reason our LB talent is where it is... poor recruiting and development by Manny Diaz and Blake Baker. Shaq, Pinkey, and Mccloud regressed each year.

Outside of recruiting 1 year rental players from the portal, I don't have confidence in this defensive staff bringing in the talent and actually developing it.

Advertisement
After rewatching the film, here is what stood out to me.

1. Jaelin Phillips is good but he's not that good. He could declare and I wouldn't care.
2. North Carolina watched a ton of film on us and exposed us. Dline didn't hold gap integrity and NC picked us apart. We played right into their hands.
3. Bradley Jennings can no longer ever be considered a "good" player, or "that's he is getting better", he loss all credibility as well as future credibility after his performance against NC.
4. Gilbert Frierson is NOT a LB. He needs to play safety.
5. Amari Carter had the worst game of all the players who play Saturday (saying alot).
6. We need LBs desperately. Steed played terribly. The only LB we have that is a dude (right now) is Flagg. I'm optimistic about TAC.
7. James Williams better be ready to play SAM LB, and learn that position quickly.
8. I thought DJ Ivey was bad, not terrible. After Saturday, he confirmed that he is terrible. Can't get off of blocks and gets burnt. We need to recruit corners with "instincts" not projects. Ex: Couch

I blame Manny for this.

Why is Amari Carter in and not Keontra Smith?
Why is Zach Mcloud starting? Manny must think he is great at practice, idk.
Manny needs to play the best player and ignore how old the player is or how experienced he is.

My quick thoughts on coaching - if you think Manny is going to hire a DC to run a different defense I would call you crazy. This is Manny's defense. What would be okay with me is fire Mike Rumph and keep Baker. Make some personal adjustments and keep up the recruiting. I like this 2021 class a lot, and I think there will be freshmen that will play right away. Some of the players starting on defense wouldn't even start for FAU. Make your personal adjustments Manny and we will get better.
I was with you until you uttered "What would be okay with me is fire Mike Rumph and keep Baker." Keep Baker after a 62 Burger was dropped on us? GTFOH!!!

Watching manny talk about the striker position durning those videos and the personnel we’ve recruited. I think it’s a stretch for him to fire Baker (even though I’d think it’s time to go in a different direction.)

the immediate thing that has to happen is fire Rumph and most likely Patke as well.

we are 4 years into the rumph experiment and it’s a failed one. I got mad love for him. But he just not cut out for it at a place like UM where he doesn’t have millions of dollars in support staff behind him doing the recruiting for him.

most of us knew that he was hired to secure at least one of the American heritage CBs a few years ago. We cheered that “Richt was playing the recruiting game” and when he whiffed on both it was a immediate sign that he wouldn’t be elite or even good at recruting.

this defense has a real shot at being elite in 22-23 and the one position that will for sure hold it back is CB.

I just don’t see how you can over look that if you’re Manny and I don’t believe he will.

Advertisement
Back