Jim Larranaga should resign

Advertisement
I mean this so seriously - anyone calling for jim larranaga to be fired or retire is not an educated fan of basketball or this program.

Is he partly to blame for a disappointing year? Yes

He is also the sole reason we are even discussing canes hoops as a program with actual expectations. Does that ever dawn on you?

Before he arrived, we had been to 1 sweet 16 in program history. L has taken us there or beyond 4x in 10 years. He has taken 2 historically poor bball programs to the final 4. He is a presumed college basketball hall of fame inductee.

Your repetitive posts on firing coach L are ridiculously tiresome, laughable and downright dumb.

You want to watch a coach that deserves to be fired? Wait til september for football season.

My thoughts on L are I highly doubt he suddenly forgot to coach basketball. Likewise I don’t think he suddenly got senile. Stubborn yes, but not senile.
We’ll see how well he works the portal this offseason and this season gets a pass.

That said there’s only so long one can last off his past. My dad’s favorite clichè, “you’re only as good as your last at bat.”

That's it. That's the thread. I'm done making excuses for him and his staff. If he wasn't 74 years old and hadn't just taken this team to the Final Four, I'd be calling for everyone's head, but alas. Guy needs to do the graceful and sensible thing before he tarnishes his own reputation.
1709003199831.gif

I respectfully disagree. ****, he almost stole that game tonight…. on the road, in the ACC, without his best player. I get it. Losing is frustrating, but if u take ur emotions out of it, then u can see that L is still a good coach

Advertisement
That's it. That's the thread. I'm done making excuses for him and his staff. If he wasn't 74 years old and hadn't just taken this team to the Final Four, I'd be calling for everyone's head, but alas. Guy needs to do the graceful and sensible thing before he tarnishes his own reputation.
Coach L with a Final Four and Elite 8 in back to back years and more NCAA appearances (6) than any Miami coach. Coach L was the first and only coach to have a winning record in the ACC and he did it in his 1st year.

Coach L has earned the right to coach as long as he wants at Miami. One year doesn't make or break his resume'. This is one of the dumbest threads I've read to date. You owe Coach L and the CIS brethren an apology. I expect you to give yourself a 30-day banishment from CIS.

I get all your bowing to the legend and he gave a crappy basketball school some nice years especially last 2, but the coaching and roster management was indeed awful this year. I favor giving him/them another go on a short leash, like if we have some ugly early losses and are like 1-5 in the first 6 ACC games, time for new blood - truth may hurt, but so does losing.

The speed with which this place swings from pushing L out to recriminations over pushing him out and back to pushing him out is impressive.

I don’t want him to even dream of leaving until Rad’s office plants are safely wilting in a beachside retirement condo somewhere in South Carolina.

Advertisement
I get all your bowing to the legend and he gave a crappy basketball school some nice years especially last 2, but the coaching and roster management was indeed awful this year. I favor giving him/them another go on a short leash, like if we have some ugly early losses and are like 1-5 in the first 6 ACC games, time for new blood - truth may hurt, but so does losing.
The roster part is 100% square on him. There may be some NIL i$$ues at play, but Ñ assembled it. The team has been clunky and lacked an identity all season.

How would your team be if (3) starters left for NBA all at once ?
Look at L’s recruiting class coming in I think a TOP 5 or 6 team in the country.

I have a low BB IQ and I know you lose Final Four starters you will suffer the pains of the lose .

This is our annual FIRE coach L we were way over due , now reach behind you and flush maybe a double flush needed.

How would your team be if (3) starters left for NBA all at once ?
Look at L’s recruiting class coming in I think a TOP 5 or 6 team in the country.

I have a low BB IQ and I know you lose Final Four starters you will suffer the pains of the lose .

This is our annual FIRE coach L we were way over due , now reach behind you and flush maybe a double flush needed.
Cmon man, NO TEAM keeps its players forever, we need to reload and we had guys coming back.. I never liked the idea of not bringing in help especially a big because we did it once.

Anyway I dont see the benefit of firing now as we would lose our signed 5 star recruit.. They need to bring in bigs and build around guys we have, having ONE guy who is undersized and cant be aggressive and hope all season he never gets in foul trouble makes no sense..

Cmon man, NO TEAM keeps its players forever, we need to reload and we had guys coming back.. I never liked the idea of not bringing in help especially a big because we did it once.

Anyway I dont see the benefit of firing now as we would lose our signed 5 star recruit.. They need to bring in bigs and build around guys we have, having ONE guy who is undersized and cant be aggressive and hope all season he never gets in foul trouble makes no sense..
You make great points, I concur 👍

Advertisement
Perhaps the word that should have used was 'retire'. No one is calling for any firings so I'm not sure why my words are being twisted around. I love Coach L and he's done as much for the basketball program as any coach in school history, regardless of sport. With that said, it's time for a massive overhaul of the program from top to bottom

Didn't they say last night that the team has played like 11 out of the last 19 without a least 1 starter? Pack, Wooga, Cleveland, Omier, and George have all been out. This is like the season before the Elite 8 run, so many injuries that limited what they could do in practice.

In the words of Garth Algar:

Fall Over Waynes World GIF

It ain't happening, homie. Unless he just decides for himself he's tired and has had enough of coaching, Coach L is here until he no longer wants to be.

Wish in one hand, **** in the other, see which one fills up faster...that's all I can tell ya.

Advertisement
Didn't they say last night that the team has played like 11 out of the last 19 without a least 1 starter? Pack, Wooga, Cleveland, Omier, and George have all been out. This is like the season before the Elite 8 run, so many injuries that limited what they could do in practice.

Some of it is because he was giving way too many minutes to starters at the beginning of the season even during blowouts...

Secondly Coach L seldom has a full roster... and then is undermanned when players get injured, as they invariably will. We have seen that movie before

Kind of unrelated and not sure which thread to bring this to, but with all the talk reigniting I figured I'd pose the question. Am I crazy for thinking Bronny would be a solid fit here? We need a true PG next year. We have SG's. Just give us somebody who is athletic, a playmaker, and plays great defense. L's prototype. Give the kid an opportunity to get away from LA for a little bit/change of scenery, but still be in a similar city as back home. Work out in the offseason with some NBA guys, study some film with Spo, and then let L do his thing molding him.

The roster part is 100% square on him. There may be some NIL i$$ues at play, but Ñ assembled it. The team has been clunky and lacked an identity all season.
agreed on the lack of identity, seemingly they wanted the understandable continuity of last season but the deficiencies were glaring it wouldn't work. My only gripe was that we didn't have a way to pivot and find another way to win. difficult to scheme some of those limitations.

Staffs that make excuses about injuries are the same coaches that don't have the depth, system or ability to overcome said injuries. The Heat just rolled into Sacramento without three starters and beat a playoff team. It's always a next man up mentality, and yes, pro ball versus college but you never get the sense that this team and staff approaches it through that lens.

All we hear is, 'we were missing Nigel', 'we've only been healthy for x number of games', etc. It's a defeatist mentality and everyone is seemingly ok with losing.

Advertisement
Back