Jess Simpson on 560WQAM

Advertisement
Advertisement
-He wants his unit to be “super physical and play tough.”

-“For me it’s all 11 on defense, starts with that (stopping the run),” Simpson said. “There’s so many examples we can do this better. It’s playing together with great eyes, great technique. Great D lines, we have to have help from backers and safeties. You have to pass rush, penetrate and cause enough chaos. … We have to set edges, not get cut out of gaps, and that starts with eye discipline.”

-Simpson was asked if he believes this group can get back to the production of the 2018 group. “Yeah, I think no doubt this group can, but it’s up to this group,” Simpson said. “We buy in, there’s no doubt we can be one of the best defenses in the country.”

-Simpson praised McCloud, saying he has “relentlessness.”

“Just a guy who will play hard, be grimy, do the dirty work, won’t just play through the whistle,” Simpson said. “He plays relentless, with physicality. He comes from backer, understands concepts. The other thing, he’s added some weight, gotten bigger, but he’s also a skilled learner - the guy can learn it. It takes some reps, he’s a guy that will be here on the weekend, working on his own. You turn on the tape, it’s `Wow, this guy is really showing glimpses of being able to do this.’”

-Simpson says for now the competition at end is wide open.

“They’ve all shown flashes, have miles to go,” he said. “That group of D ends is hungry, they’re all competing.”

On Nesta Silvera: “He plays with high energy, very hard, very physical,” Simpson said. “But there are parts of his game as a rusher, mover, as we play run blocks - every area he has miles he can improve. What’s cool is when a guy gets older he can see that for what it is, become more open to coaching, wanting to learn. I can show him examples of guys like him doing it at the highest level. He’s really interested in taking his game to the next level.”

-Simpson says he's happy to have Diaz calling the plays. “I think Manny is in his sweet spot when he’s coaching defense every day. Watching him, man, he’s doing exactly what he needs to be doing.”

On the culture and the fact that so many of the older guys elected to return for another season: “Guys want to be here, play here, enjoy this place, this school, this program. That speaks to Manny and the culture he’s building.”

He went on to say that this team believes they can win. They believe they can beat Alabama and they come to practice and approached the off-season with that mentality.

-“For me it’s all 11 on defense, starts with that (stopping the run),” Simpson said. “There’s so many examples we can do this better. It’s playing together with great eyes, great technique. Great D lines, we have to have help from backers and safeties. You have to pass rush, penetrate and cause enough chaos. … We have to set edges, not get cut out of gaps, and that starts with eye discipline.”

-Simpson was asked if he believes this group can get back to the production of the 2018 group. “Yeah, I think no doubt this group can, but it’s up to this group,” Simpson said. “We buy in, there’s no doubt we can be one of the best defenses in the country.”

“Just a guy who will play hard, be grimy, do the dirty work, won’t just play through the whistle,” Simpson said. “He plays relentless, with physicality. He comes from backer, understands concepts. The other thing, he’s added some weight, gotten bigger, but he’s also a skilled learner - the guy can learn it. It takes some reps, he’s a guy that will be here on the weekend, working on his own. You turn on the tape, it’s `Wow, this guy is really showing glimpses of being able to do this.’”

“They’ve all shown flashes, have miles to go,” he said. “That group of D ends is hungry, they’re all competing.”

On Nesta Silvera: “He plays with high energy, very hard, very physical,” Simpson said. “But there are parts of his game as a rusher, mover, as we play run blocks - every area he has miles he can improve. What’s cool is when a guy gets older he can see that for what it is, become more open to coaching, wanting to learn. I can show him examples of guys like him doing it at the highest level. He’s really interested in taking his game to the next level.”

-Simpson says he's happy to have Diaz calling the plays. “I think Manny is in his sweet spot when he’s coaching defense every day. Watching him, man, he’s doing exactly what he needs to be doing.”

On the culture and the fact that so many of the older guys elected to return for another season: “Guys want to be here, play here, enjoy this place, this school, this program. That speaks to Manny and the culture he’s building.”

He went on to say that this team believes they can win. They believe they can beat Alabama and they come to practice and approached the off-season with that mentality.
Thanks!

What Cribby and others including myself have made a point about why rehiring Simpson was so important. This quote right here:

"You have to pass rush, penetrate and cause enough chaos. … We have to set edges, not get cut out of gaps, and that starts with eye
discipline
.”

Along with Diaz playcalling (significantly less zone), gap integrity and setting the edge is a huge part of the reason the defense was so much better in 2018 than it was the last 2 years under Baker. Gap integrity and outside contain will make the LB's a job bit easier as well. Bet Patke will be better than Baker as LB coach as well. People forget how completely lost Finley was at Safety before Patke coached him at Striker.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement

This is all you can ask for.

The guys want to get better.

Loved what he said about nesta. Wish he was healthy this spring but great to hear he wants to learn as much as he can

Last edited:
Advertisement
There is no comparison IMHO. IMHO, Simpson is one of the best position coaches the Canes have had in the last two decades. I put him right up there with Lashlee, Stoutland, Pagano, Jedd Fisch, Michael Barrow, Chudzinski, Narduzzi, Curtis Johnson, Schiano, Shannon, and John Lovett. Those are a few I can think of. I am also high on Travaris Robinson and Aristide, but they are new and have a lot to prove before I move them into my position coaches list

Last edited:
I feel like lost in the awful that was Baker coaching LB's, we're not looking deeply enough at what Stroud failed to accomplish. The way Simpson is talking it sounds like the DL was in really bad shape when he took over.

Simpson is going to coach up the DL to greatness for 2021. If the kids take heed and listen while learning? No reason why they can’t give Bama all they want 1st game out of the gate. Jesse’s infectious energy and attitude will most definitely rub off on Harvey, Johnson, the Williams, crap even McCloud. Look for a massive difference in how the DT’s play as well.

Advertisement
Back