2024 Jeremiah Smith 2.0 ,,, Signs with Taint

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys do this every year. Any time a kid who went elsewhere doesn't get on the field immediately, we start talkin' ****.
I don't care how elite you are, seeing PT as a true freshman, at a good program, is very difficult.
College football is a completely different animal than HS.
Nah man, 3 games in….it’s obvious they made the worst decision ever and their careers are finished. If they came here, they would already have 6,000 yards and 78 TDs. Much like the freshman we have on the team currently.

Advertisement
My issue isn’t that the kid(s) isn’t playing as a freshman. I think if you know anything about football you understand that there is a big difference between high school and college, as well as college and the NFL, and bulking up and getting bigger, faster, stronger is a necessity and that’s typically why freshman year is a preparation year for that.

Compounded by the fact that when you get to a program that has recruited so well at your position, you have guys that were “the man” 1-2 years before you that have gone through that preparation process.

My issue is that kids are being promised early playing time, even by these programs with stud groups as a recruiting tool and the kid thinks he’s gonna go to OSU and be in the mix as a starter. Then the kid gets to campus and doesn’t sniff the field and all of a sudden is upset and transfers.
Yep.

I’ve speculated in the past over why a player like Smith or Innis would go to an Ohio State that is so stacked at the position. Or Shemar or Overton going to A&M when they are already completely overloaded at tackle. Or the ten blue chip running backs that were all at USC in 2008.

The answer was that they all think that they will be the exception, the alpha that rises to the top of the pack.

And a lot of people here said that this is completely fine…that this is the sort of player that we should want. And I get that to a point, but when that sentiment is taken to an extreme you get absurdities like A&M’s defensive tackle room or 2008 USC’s running back room. It’s like Tyler Van Dyke transferring to USC this season because he’s convinced that he’ll be the starter, not Caleb Williams. Or 2023 Ole Miss and the seven or so quarterbacks that they have on their roster.

Yeah cuz OL and WRs are the same positions to mentally understand. I call bull$h!t

I'm the first to agree that WRs can hit the field early whereas OL nearly always need a year or two to bake. But we don't have a 5-star WR so I used the example we have. And to be fair, we do have a true freshman starting at RT. ... Regardless, you can call BS on my analogy, I won't defend it. But I still 100% agree with Macho that you can't write off a true freshman based upon the first 3 games of their college career.

You guys do this every year. Any time a kid who went elsewhere doesn't get on the field immediately, we start talkin' ****.
I don't care how elite you are, seeing PT as a true freshman, at a good program, is very difficult.
College football is a completely different animal than HS.

Times are changing due to NIL and Portal. Not saying Inniss jumps after year 1 but at some point, the odds will be in the CIS fan's favor. Can't recall the last year one transfer back to Miami. Issiah Walker? Earl Little due to mom? Porter transferred after his 2nd year. Stevenson was a 2nd year.

Yep.

I’ve speculated in the past over why a player like Smith or Innis would go to an Ohio State that is so stacked at the position. Or Shemar or Overton going to A&M when they are already completely overloaded at tackle. Or the ten blue chip running backs that were all at USC in 2008.

The answer was that they all think that they will be the exception, the alpha that rises to the top of the pack.

And a lot of people here said that this is completely fine…that this is the sort of player that we should want. And I get that to a point, but when that sentiment is taken to an extreme you get absurdities like A&M’s defensive tackle room or 2008 USC’s running back room. It’s like Tyler Van Dyke transferring to USC this season because he’s convinced that he’ll be the starter, not Caleb Williams. Or 2023 Ole Miss and the seven or so quarterbacks that they have on their roster.
100% in agreement. I’m very much like that as well, the “I‘ll be the exception” type. And for the most part, say before the transfer portal NIL, it wasn’t a bad thing to have because the kids couldn’t really go anywhere. Hence the famous grey shirting at Bama. But now, kids can just go somewhere else of they’re not happy for whatever reason.

You have to think recruiters are playing in to that ego and telling these kids “I think you have what it takes to start day 1, even over Marvin Harrison Jr. Do you think that about yourself?”

Advertisement
Yep.

Or... they see that those schools consistently put out players at their position that end up drafted and are willing to put in their time, get occasional playing time in the early years and eventually become 'the guy'.

I have no idea if OSU is selling them early playing time, but what they legitimately should be telling them is 'we see a ton of talent in you, you may not play right away b/c we have a bunch of talent already at your position, but you will play eventually and we will put you in the league like we have for former players x, y and z and how we are setting up current players a, b and c.' Then it is up to the Miami's of the world to convince the recruits that even though they don't have a recent track record, they can get them into the league and if they come to Miami they are going to get early playing time too.

Hopefully in a few years Miami will have the 'problem' of having to switch to selling their track record of putting WRs in the league.

1695237810915.png

WOW new #1

And very well deserved. He’s the best player in the country. The very definition of a program changer and Brandon Inniss couldn’t hold this kid’s jock.

This kid could lift his leg and just fart for the next 3 years and he’d go Round 1. Easily the best WR prospect in Florida in a decade. Sign this kid or keep repeating the same **** around here of “If we’d have just kept Calvin Ridley home….aww shucks but if we could’ve just got Amari Cooper…boo hoo”

He’s that good. Maybe better.

And very well deserved. He’s the best player in the country. The very definition of a program changer and Brandon Inniss couldn’t hold this kid’s jock.

This kid could lift his leg and just fart for the next 3 years and he’d go Round 1. Easily the best WR prospect in Florida in a decade. Sign this kid or keep repeating the same **** around here of “If we’d have just kept Calvin Ridley home….aww shucks but if we could’ve just got Amari Cooper…boo hoo”

He’s that good. Maybe better.

IMG_0759.gif

Advertisement
I’ll bump this in April of 2027.

Hey OB I was blown away by Smith’s highlights. But what do you say about the recent criticism that he struggles with physical top DBs? No dog in this hunt just interested in whether that narrative is BS or not?

p.s. of the three 2024 WRs being discussed here, I think he’s by far the most realistic flip candidate so I hope he’s a Cane and future Pro Bowler.

Hey OB I was blown away by Smith’s highlights. But what do you say about the recent criticism that he struggles with physical top DBs? No dog in this hunt just interested in whether that narrative is BS or not?

p.s. of the three 2024 WRs being discussed here, I think he’s by far the most realistic flip candidate so I hope he’s a Cane and future Pro Bowler.
I'd like to add in have the other 2 faced any similar competition?

I say he’s 17 years old and knows 0.1% as much about the position as he will in a few years with college training and coaching. That is all technique based things that someone like Kevin Beard would help tremendously with. But I see a kid with jaw-dropping, jump off the screen explosiveness and athleticism with A++ ball skills (paws) who has literally limitless potential. He is the literal #1 overall recruit in the country.

Advertisement
Kid takes George’s spot and elevates it…

JJ of course playing colbies spot…

Good luck to the DC on who you choose to leave on an island to cover because we bring a running game to boot lol

Jacolby George? Nah not happening he will be a double digit TD player this season. AINT NOBODY TAKING THAT POSITION.

I say he’s 17 years old and knows 0.1% as much about the position as he will in a few years with college training and coaching. That is all technique based things that someone like Kevin Beard would help tremendously with. But I see a kid with jaw-dropping, jump off the screen explosiveness and athleticism with A++ ball skills (paws) who has literally limitless potential. He is the literal #1 overall recruit in the country.
That is 100% a fair take. He is NOT a finished product but his ceiling is 100% 1st rounder. Now does he have the work ethic/drive to learn and develop?

Jacolby George? Nah not happening he will be a double digit TD player this season. AINT NOBODY TAKING THAT POSITION.
I think he means when his times comes to start he has a higher ceiling/could be more productive than George, which I'm still not sure I agree with.

Although dude is ranked higher that doesn't necessarily translate to better college player. Like you said Jacoby is well on his way to double digit touchdowns.

Advertisement
Add to all your deductive reasoning that Mario has slayed the relationship building with the 25 and 26 kids which is his forte and Kevin Beard is a beast
How did I miss you saying the WR class is locked up? I am officially putting myself on probation if you did in fact say we are done at WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back