Jeff Thomas dismissed from Miami football

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The University of Miami announced Wednesday that star sophomore wide receiver Jeff Thomas is no longer a member of the football program.

“We have high standards for excellence, for conduct and for the commitment to team for all of the young men who wear our uniform, and we will not waver from those standards,” head coach Mark Richt said. “We wish Jeff the very best as he moves forward in his journey.”

Since yesterday afternoon, CanesInSight has been hearing talk of Thomas leaving the team. At least one UM player later confirmed Thomas wasn’t at practice or meetings yesterday, left the team due to clashes with coaches, and has been disgruntled for some time now. Earlier today ahead of Wednesday's practice, UM's communications department would only say Thomas was “not at practice due to personal reasons. He is a member of the football team.”

Apparently, that changed as UM instead elected to dismiss Thomas after practice.

With Thomas’ status up in the air, the team held Wednesday's practice as normal. Starting QB N’Kosi Perry and offensive coordinator/RB coach Thomas commented on the matter at the conclusion of practice in a media session, but did not elaborate on the situation at hand.

Before Thomas was dismissed, Perry said that he had personally called Thomas and referred to him as “a huge part of the team," although he wouldn't elaborate on what exactly was said in the conversation.

“It’s an in-house issue, we’re handling it in-house,” Brown said. “I’m not going to make a public comment about it.”

Thomas’ troubled history has been well-documented, as the receiver repeatedly missed classes and practices while struggling academically at East St. Louis High back in Illinois. As a result, Thomas was suspended and had to earn his way back onto his high school team via a team vote. After arriving in Miami in 2017 and having a breakout freshman season in which he averaged over 22 yards per catch, CIS learned that Thomas seriously contemplated a transfer over the 2018 summer before being convinced to stay by the staff. Privately, some around UM have expressed that an issue with Thomas was inevitable and that it was surprising that it has taken this long.

Thomas ends his Miami career with 52 catches, 937 yards, and 5 TD's in a little under 2 seasons of play.

UPDATE: Thomas released a comment on his dismissal from his Twitter feed.

Advertisement
It's time we all accept that the Mork Rich experiment is a failure.

Total mismanagement in every single aspect of the team that Mork has touched.

I have a bad feeling that this is just the beginning of the exodus. Say goodbye to the 2019 class.

FVCK YOU MORK RICH AND FVCK YOU JAKE BLAMES!!!!

I'll be in the bathtub shaving my forearms with a straight razor.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tenor.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back