JD Interview 11:30pm Tonight on CBS4Miami

Advertisement
JD continues to say our Starting Pitching is our strength, he mentions we are 4 deep.

We can only assume he is talking about

Gage
Rafe
Herick
Drew Dwyer

Advertisement
JD continues to say our Starting Pitching is our strength, he mentions we are 4 deep.

We can only assume he is talking about

Gage
Rafe
Herick
Drew Dwyer
The fact that Dwyer was reported as throwing just an inning Saturday night is interesting to me. If he’s starting, you’d want him stretched to out to four innings like Rafe, Gage, and Herick at this point in the preseason. Could be that he’s a little behind due to an injury that we didn’t know about, and he’ll be playing catch up, or they may have decided a reliable veteran arm is more useful out of the bullpen than as a midweek starter. The second option makes some sense to me if that’s the route they’ve decided to go with him. We should get a better idea if he comes out for an inning during the Alumni Game.

Last edited:
Hope I'm wrong but it feels/sounds like they're **** bent on Chestnutt being the midweek guy.

But to JD's point about SP being a strength, it's probably an upgrade from 2023 to have 3 juniors (Ziehl/Rafe/Herick) in place for Fri, Sat, Sun.

I thought I saw Chestnutt was at Driveline. If his velo is up maybe he is struggling with location.

Be interested to hear about how he looked so far. I know results aren’t great but if he went from an 86-88 guy up to 90-93 for example with his mechanics it would be a lot of adjusting.

But if he is still just a mid to high 80’s guy he is def more of a pen arm I would think.

Advertisement
I thought I saw Chestnutt was at Driveline. If his velo is up maybe he is struggling with location.

Be interested to hear about how he looked so far. I know results aren’t great but if he went from an 86-88 guy up to 90-93 for example with his mechanics it would be a lot of adjusting.

But if he is still just a mid to high 80’s guy he is def more of a pen arm I would think.
Saw him last Saturday and he was bad. Definitely on the wild side. Sounds from this Saturday’s recap like he was much better. Unfortunately, one of the big knocks on Chestnutt last year was that he was very inconsistent from outing to outing.

Location was what was so concerning about Scinta last Friday. His command was shockingly bad.

Saw him last Saturday and he was bad. Definitely on the wild side. Sounds from this Saturday’s recap like he was much better. Unfortunately, one of the big knocks on Chestnutt last year was that he was very inconsistent from outing to outing.

Location was what was so concerning about Scinta last Friday. His command was shockingly bad.
Chestnuts is so aggressive with that front side landing on time is really tough. It can create some deception but I mentioned it a few times last year consistency is real tough.

Chestnuts is so aggressive with that front side landing on time is really tough. It can create some deception but I mentioned it a few times last year consistency is real tough.
Ya, I hope they didn't try to change him. He's a mid-week/long relief guy to throw at teams that don't hit the off speed stuff well.

Square pegs in square holes.

Advertisement
Back