Jaylin Alderman LB from Louisville

Ive been a fan of almost all the LB we recruited the last 2 years. If these guys cant be trusted for minor snaps a game we aren’t in better shape. Once they perform at a high level or any level I'll accept gloating. A year ago we were celebrating guys that aren't even on the team (Kelly, Wayne, Collins etc) Whining and acknowledging double standards are not the same but I know this is moping.
You’re living in a world where injuries don’t happen.

Forcing a young guy to make room for Alderman? Not a trade off I’d want to make.

Telling Zion, Denis, or whatever other deadweight piece we have it’s time to move on so you can bring Alderman in? No idea why anyone would be so passionately against this.

Advertisement
20240221_113803.png

So none of the frreshman are playable? GTFO. This is lack of development by coaches!
I’ve been reading this very good thread and how my mind works its solution based and goes directly to the question of “whats missing” in the discussion. Well, you nailed it. Put all of the comments together: we are in this predicament due to prior poor recruiting, Mario and staff have reversed that and brought in much better caliber players, but those players keep getting portaled over.

The timeline coaches had to develop the talent they bring in has been lessened by the presence of the portal and NIL. If a team (like Miami) isn’t winning, coaches have a year and at the max 2, to get their new recruits on the field and ready to go. Our staff can recruit their butts off but they are still acclimating to this new development timeline.

You’re living in a world where injuries don’t happen.

Forcing a young guy to make room for Alderman? Not a trade off I’d want to make.

Telling Zion, Denis, or whatever other deadweight piece we have it’s time to move on so you can bring Alderman in? No idea why anyone would be so passionately against this.
I'm not arguing against using the portal. I was one of the first advocates pushing back against the "not sustainable" narrative CIS tried to push. The problem I have is we explain adding marginally better players through portal the as "needing experience." The young guys that "eat up cap space" aren't getting opportunities. In a football age where you can turnover 100% of the roster in any year it doesn't take 3 or 4 years to build depth. We are continually just adding bandaids instead of upgrading the talent. At this stage the experience we add should be great players. (This is not Alderman specific)

Depth is the key to winning championships and now with the added games due to the 12 team playoff system, depth is even more important. Injuries will happen in football and with addition of Alderman this could be the deepest LB group Miami has had in 20 years.

Base 4-2-4 defense 3 deep
MLB Francisco Mauigoa SR 6-3 230
MLB Raul Aguirre SO 6-2 233
MLB Chase Smith RJR 6-1 230

WIL Wesley Bissainthe JR 6-1 220
WIL Jaylin Alderman JR 6-1 230
WIL Marcellius Pulliam SO 6-3 230

4-3 Defense add the SAM position
SAM Cam Pruitt FR 6-2 200
SAM Bobby Washington RFR 6-3 220

Miami will finally have a deep core of "Miami Caliber" linebackers. Put 2 solid DT's infant of these guys and they will eat all season long.
We haven’t seen Miami caliber in so long we calling anything Miami caliber

Advertisement
The issue there is the lack of experience on the roster. When you look at the group of guys being targeted in the portal are older guys with lots of playing experience.

Michigan just won a championship with the oldest team in college football.

Committed/Targeted Portal guys by the class
C Zach Carpenter
DT C.J. Clark
DT Marley Cook
DE Elijah Alston
DE Tyler Baron
S Mishael Powell

QB Cam Ward
WR Sam Brown
DT Simeon Barrow Jr.
DT CJ West
CB Lorando Johnson

DT Derrick Harmon
LB Jaylin Alderman

RB Damien Martinez
CB Dyoni Hill
S Savion Riley

This clearly shows you that this staff wants older more experienced guys to play the major minutes while bringing the young guys along slowly. There just are not many Bains walking around, but if one emerges this staff has proven they will play the young guy(s).

I personally believe this is the smartest way to use the Portal. Build through high school recruiting and fill holes via the portal with older proven guys.
It's been the same strategy for 3 years. Add 4th-6th year players. I don't think it has been working and the players that are being compensated the most aren't gaining experience. We are paying backups more than starters, does that make sense when backups aren't waiting around anymore?

I’ve been reading this very good thread and how my mind works its solution based and goes directly to the question of “whats missing” in the discussion. Well, you nailed it. Put all of the comments together: we are in this predicament due to prior poor recruiting, Mario and staff have reversed that and brought in much better caliber players, but those players keep getting portaled over.

The timeline coaches had to develop the talent they bring in has been lessened by the presence of the portal and NIL. If a team (like Miami) isn’t winning, coaches have a year and at the max 2, to get their new recruits on the field and ready to go. Our staff can recruit their butts off but they are still acclimating to this new development timeline.
I hate seeing people argue out of both sides of their mouth. 2 years ago it was "Do you see what Mario can do in 2 weeks recruiting." Now the same people are writing "How could you expect Mario to recruit well in 2 weeks." It's the same strategy for every single topic.

I'm not arguing against using the portal. I was one of the first advocates pushing back against the "not sustainable" narrative CIS tried to push. The problem I have is we explain adding marginally better players through portal the as "needing experience." The young guys that "eat up cap space" aren't getting opportunities. In a football age where you can turnover 100% of the roster in any year it doesn't take 3 or 4 years to build depth. We are continually just adding bandaids instead of upgrading the talent. At this stage the experience we add should be great players. (This is not Alderman specific)
I hear what you’re saying, but the staff has a very high grade on Alderman. He’s not just a bandaid, he’s a guy that will make a huge impact right away

I hear what you’re saying, but the staff has a very high grade on Alderman. He’s not just a bandaid, he’s a guy that will make a huge impact right away
Noted.

Advertisement
I’m with you on most of that.

However, Mario’s first class had only had 1 LB in Wes who is a starter that will be relied on heavily. You’ll probably reply with a “well whose fault is it to only bring in 1 LB!?!?”

Popo got some burn as a TF and probably sees a big jump there this year. Pulliam as well.

But there’s still 800+ snaps to go around with Flagg, Cloyd, and Keontra gone.

One injury to Kiko, Wes, or Popo and you’re relying on TF Hayes or Pruitt to step up big time for a team that will be pushing for a playoff spot. That’s not ideal.

And you’re right, it doesn’t take 3-4 years to turnover a roster and win immediately. But if you want long term success and not just flash in the pan type stuff (USC) then yes…it does take that long.

Look at Sark at Texas. Look at Harbaugh at Michigan. Kirby inherited crazy talent at Georgia and it still took like 4 top recruiting classes to win his first title.

However, Mario’s first class had only had 1 LB in Wes who is a starter that will be relied on heavily. You’ll probably reply with a “well whose fault is it to only bring in 1 LB!?!?”

Popo got some burn as a TF and probably sees a big jump there this year. Pulliam as well.

One injury to Kiko, Wes, or Popo and you’re relying on TF Hayes or Pruitt to step up big time for a team that will be pushing for a playoff spot. That’s not ideal.

And you’re right, it doesn’t take 3-4 years to turnover a roster and win immediately. But if you want long term success and not just flash in the pan type stuff (USC) then yes…it does take that long.

Look at Sark at Texas. Look at Harbaugh at Michigan. Kirby inherited crazy talent at Georgia and it still took like 4 top recruiting classes to win his first title.
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I think some of you need to go check these depth charts. A lot of these teams have Freshmen/sophmores in the 2 deep. For some reason we are accepting that it takes 3 and 4 years to develop. If these guys can't be relied on by now I think the bigger questions are either. Are we targeting the right high schoolers? Can we develop enough players to have long term success?

Advertisement
I think some of you need to go check these depth charts. A lot of these teams have Feshmen/sophmores in the 2 deep. For some reason we are accepting that it takes 3 and 4 years to develop. If these guys can't be relied on by now I think the bigger questions are either. Are we targeting the right high schoolers? Can we develop enough players to have long term success?
Valid questions. But also Mario has to show something in year 3 and he knows it. Hence the all out push for Ward, Martinez, and adding more portal depth.

Advertisement
In a nut shell, I think those who are questioning the take just want to make sure our more pressing needs are addressed first. You'd think that's a given but so far with this staff, it's not.

Lots of fat to trim. I don't care about feelings. Snip snip. Alderman for Smith. Sure. Beer in hand...

Either alot of you are just missing it or just dont want to see it...but you are really skipping over a key phrase that keeps being brought up over and over...Mario is in "WIN NOW!" mode...can you guys understand that? "WIN NOW!"...DMoney has said it numerous times. So we dont have time to develop anyone right now. If you still need development? Sit to the side and let a grown man come in until you get right. See you in 2025. We need players who are ready to go NOW. We are going after "hired guns" for this year and its pretty clear. It worked for FSU last season and dammit I have no problem with Mario using this same strategy to get us over the hump. It is what it is.

Advertisement
Back