Jaylan Knighton Talks Top Schools, Sets Decision Date

View as article
Advertisement
Sorry for responding so late fellas, been running around all day.

So after practice Diaz and staff held a clinic. Diaz spoke, followed by Enos, followed by Baker and finishing up with Feely.
*Diaz spoke about the "New Miami" and how it's not just a catchy hashtag, but a legit new way of doing things around there. The energy, tempo, competition, hard work, etc.
*Enos was awesome IMO. He spoke about the creative ways he uses motion to create the leverage and advantages that he wants. There was some really exciting stuff, especially when you envision it being applied to our athletes.
*Baker spoke about "void pressures" or "void zone blitzes". Basically it's a 3-deep/2-under concept where we're blitzing/sending 6 guys and you void a zone. Pretty scary stuff at times, and I don't mean that in a good way. He did admit that running these blitzes "get a little dicey" versus spread formations though, particularly 2x2 formations. It's not really something that Miami is going to rely on though, just a way to create pressure and hopefully make big plays. The concept is predicated on you getting to the QB, so you're not too worried about a void.
*Feely obviously spoke about S&C. I didn't get too many details because they fed us ribs, chicken, baked beans and potato salad prior to the clinic and I had drop a mean deuce...and I **** sure wasn't gonna miss Enos or Baker. I will tell you this, Feely is exactly what you want in an S&C coach. Dude is a spark plug, full of energy. He showed some creative ways to improve flexibility and core strength.

After Feely the coaches split up into "break-out" sessions. I went with Baker and Patke in the LB group. The dopest thing about the clinic is how "intimate" it was. Basically just a few coaches sitting in front of a dry-erase board talking football. It was basically a Q&A format and they weren't withholding any information. (most clinics aren't structured like that) Baker and Patke are two cool a$$ down-to-earth dudes. Just a couple of "guys guys" from Texas. One interesting thing that they shared was that 74% of the time Miami is either blitzing or running some type of DL movement/stunt. They want to disrupt and confuse OL's blocking schemes.
We also spoke about the DL's emphasis on "getting vertical" and disrupting offenses in the backfield. Our DT's technically don't have a gap, but more-so a landmark. (in the backfield) So basically, if I'm in the B-gap and the Offensive Guard cuts me off, I don't fight to get back into the B-gap, I just back-door him and get into the backfield. (McIntosh and Willis did this a lot) The Linebackers play the same way. The LB's don't have specific gap responsibility, they shoot through daylight.

Statistically...and visually at times...guys like McIntosh, Norton and Willis played like first rounders. As we found out, 2 of the 3 are not as talented as we might've thought they were. So I asked Patke, would it be fair to say that their "first round" production can be attributed to all of the stunting/movement? Without taking too much credit and giving me a "yes", he simply said "perhaps".
I'm inclined to believe that that is the case.

So after practice Diaz and staff held a clinic. Diaz spoke, followed by Enos, followed by Baker and finishing up with Feely.
*Diaz spoke about the "New Miami" and how it's not just a catchy hashtag, but a legit new way of doing things around there. The energy, tempo, competition, hard work, etc.
*Enos was awesome IMO. He spoke about the creative ways he uses motion to create the leverage and advantages that he wants. There was some really exciting stuff, especially when you envision it being applied to our athletes.
*Baker spoke about "void pressures" or "void zone blitzes". Basically it's a 3-deep/2-under concept where we're blitzing/sending 6 guys and you void a zone. Pretty scary stuff at times, and I don't mean that in a good way. He did admit that running these blitzes "get a little dicey" versus spread formations though, particularly 2x2 formations. It's not really something that Miami is going to rely on though, just a way to create pressure and hopefully make big plays. The concept is predicated on you getting to the QB, so you're not too worried about a void.
*Feely obviously spoke about S&C. I didn't get too many details because they fed us ribs, chicken, baked beans and potato salad prior to the clinic and I had drop a mean deuce...and I **** sure wasn't gonna miss Enos or Baker. I will tell you this, Feely is exactly what you want in an S&C coach. Dude is a spark plug, full of energy. He showed some creative ways to improve flexibility and core strength.

After Feely the coaches split up into "break-out" sessions. I went with Baker and Patke in the LB group. The dopest thing about the clinic is how "intimate" it was. Basically just a few coaches sitting in front of a dry-erase board talking football. It was basically a Q&A format and they weren't withholding any information. (most clinics aren't structured like that) Baker and Patke are two cool a$$ down-to-earth dudes. Just a couple of "guys guys" from Texas. One interesting thing that they shared was that 74% of the time Miami is either blitzing or running some type of DL movement/stunt. They want to disrupt and confuse OL's blocking schemes.
We also spoke about the DL's emphasis on "getting vertical" and disrupting offenses in the backfield. Our DT's technically don't have a gap, but more-so a landmark. (in the backfield) So basically, if I'm in the B-gap and the Offensive Guard cuts me off, I don't fight to get back into the B-gap, I just back-door him and get into the backfield. (McIntosh and Willis did this a lot) The Linebackers play the same way. The LB's don't have specific gap responsibility, they shoot through daylight.

Statistically...and visually at times...guys like McIntosh, Norton and Willis played like first rounders. As we found out, 2 of the 3 are not as talented as we might've thought they were. So I asked Patke, would it be fair to say that their "first round" production can be attributed to all of the stunting/movement? Without taking too much credit and giving me a "yes", he simply said "perhaps".
Thanks for all the info on a slow Saturday!

Advertisement
**** Macho bringing the heat! Appreciate it!

Man hearing this Jon Ford news is making this a **** good Sunday morning!

Flanagan’s is probably one of the most underrated restaurants in south Florida. Nobody talks about it but it’s always standing room only on any given night for some reason. Lol.

Advertisement
Ya know what, I don't recall seeing him at all in team periods. Maybe I missed it.
Read elsewhere Jarren was getting chewed out by Enos for holding the ball too long. An observer said he had a hard time processing his reads. Also said Tate and Kosi got the most team reps in 11's and 7's which aligns with what you're saying about not even seeing him out there.

One interesting thing that they shared was that 74% of the time Miami is either blitzing or running some type of DL movement/stunt. They want to disrupt and confuse OL's blocking schemes.

And thats why you see the defense struggle to stop the run consistently. You have the front 7 just hunting for tfls basically and you leave a gap open and its a big run.

And i never thought mcintosh or norton was 1st rounders but this scheme does lend to getting numbers. When diaz was at middle tennessee and la tech they were top 5 in tfls. But you can clearly see the talent upgrade with willis because that guy basically had mcintosh and norton numbers combined last year.

And thats why you see the defense struggle to stop the run consistently. You have the front 7 just hunting for tfls basically and you leave a gap open and its a big run.

And i never thought mcintosh or norton was 1st rounders but this scheme does lend to getting numbers. When diaz was at middle tennessee and la tech they were top 5 in tfls. But you can clearly see the talent upgrade with willis because that guy basically had mcintosh and norton numbers combined last year.
Which is why when people freaked out when we loss McIntosh,norton or any dlineman for that matter was going overboard because Playing in this scheme will allow anyone the opportunity to be productive

Advertisement
You still need talent there too. Its a big difference between joe jackson and patchan.
Most definitely, if all goes to plan I dont See patchan being beyond the 4th de. I hope Garvin, hill, Rousseau get majority of the snaps

Advertisement

How long to do you think we’ll have Enos as a coach. From all accounts dude sounds like HC material. Is he here waiting for a Dream gig or does he want to build something special before moving on?

I didn't see Knighton today.

However, I did see tons of progress, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. They ran a lot of team work today (11-on-11 and 7-on-7) and I thought offense and defense did a good job of trading punches. Nkosi lit the defense up in 11-on-11 for a couple big completions. He dropped 2 absolute dimes on post corner routes. Martell really struggled IMO. Lots of ducks off target. Relatively simple throws that would've led to YAC.

I saw a MF'ing jet sweep to Thomas!
Also saw some crossing/mesh concepts to get him the ball on the move.

Jon Ford and Nesta Silvera were flat-out unlockable at times. I saw Ford make quite a few plays. He LOOKS phenomenal as well.

More to come. I'm at Flanigans and my lemon chicken pasta just got to the table.

Coach Macho keeping it real!

How long to do you think we’ll have Enos as a coach. From all accounts dude sounds like HC material. Is he here waiting for a Dream gig or does he want to build something special before moving on?
He already got a shot as a head coach at Central Michigan, and he went 26-36.

Advertisement
Back