Jaylan Knighton Talks Top Schools, Sets Decision Date

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
Jaylan Knighton was one of the biggest names last weekend at The Opening in Miami. While he just came short of winning the running back MVP, he did enough to get invited to The Opening finals in Dallas.

“It was great. I got the invite (to the finals).”

When asked which other players stood out to him, Knighton answered without hesitation.

“Don Chaney. Great running back. Also, Derek Wingo.”

Switching over towards high school football, Knighton and the rest of the Deerfield Beach squad are looking forward to a revenge tour during the 2019 season after failing to reach the state championship in 2018.

“We gotta try to punish everybody. We have got a tough schedule this year, but we aren’t scared of anybody. We’re ready.”

Clemson, FSU, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Utah are the schools Knighton feels are recruiting him the hardest, but he has also publicly named Clemson as his leader. His thought process on this is pretty clear.

“The brotherhood, the relationships they have. It’s a winning program.”

Clemson is selling Knighton on being the successor at running back to Travis Etienne and the Clemson staff sees a lot of similarities between the two. Although Clemson remains the favorite, Miami has worked hard in an attempt to catch up to the top group.

“Coach (Eric) Hickson, coach (Manny) Diaz, they have contacted me. We are just building that relationship right now. This staff has shown me more love, and they are just showing me how I fit in the system.”

Knighton plans on taking some official visits this spring. While we do not know where he will take his official visits, we do know when to expect a decision.

“I will be committing the first week of August, probably August 2nd.”

Advertisement
Sucks but it is what it is...

All those leader for him (outside of random Utah) have won big and often during all of his childhood/teenage years...

We need to get back to winning big consistently

Advertisement
Clemson is selling Knighton on being the successor at running back to Travis Etienne and the Clemson staff sees a lot of similarities between the two. Although Clemson remains the favorite, Miami has worked hard in an attempt to catch up to the top group.

“Coach (Eric) Hickson, coach (Manny) Diaz, they have contacted me. We are just building that relationship right now. This staff has shown me more love, and they are just showing me how I fit in the system.”

There's part of the problem right there.

Advertisement
Gotta remember, Thomas Brown isnt here and Richt was too scared to recruit Deerfield Beach.

This is why Seider no matter his requests should have been priority #2 behind landing Enos. Imagine if Seider and Hartley was both on staff here.

Well I can promise you that the staff Miami has in place RIGHT NOW is good to go at Deerfield. Diaz is loved and Hickson is good in the hood. Dude is from the same area as Coach Glenn.

Too little too late
Not true. Remember he rejected The U for Oklahoma. Decommitted and now Clemson his leader. Clear he was never seriously considering The U. I would say it is our staffs responsibility to recruit the best talent until they say no or sign elsewhere.

Advertisement
There was no way for this staff to have an established relationship with Knighton.

He committed to Oklahoma in April of last year & decommited from them just a month ago.

His lead school has been Clemson from the jump, he's just not interested in Miami.

Our priority should be Holmes or Parrish, Knighton was a 0% chance, but I like that Hickson, Field & Manny will still shoot their shot.

As far as DFB there's some good 2021 & 22 prospects we should offer, **** they have 4 D1 WR's on their squad for the 2020 class plus QB Derohn King (from Piper), if we plan on opening that pipeline we should work on those future prospects.

Too little too late

I don't understand this comment.

UM offered in 2017. He visited unofficially in 2017, 2018, and again this weekend. Kid was committed to OU from April 2018 until about a month ago. And we're still about 11.5 months away from 2020 signing day.

The reality is he's a Deerfield Beach kid and that in and of itself made our chances slim.

Advertisement
We got Lucky our top priority at RB is committed to us already. Now we can focus on #2. Knighton and bowman are not #2. They’re gonna be the best backs that their respective school lands. I’d think with Chaney on board we’d have an even smaller Chance tbh

Sounds like we are a distant second at best. But good for the staff for getting back in the area. At some point, we will land one of these kids. It's not like all the Deerfield kids are going to Bama or the same school. They are jumping all over the map but unfortunately not to us... for now.

I'd continue to recruit this kid cause maybe there's a 10% chance we get him. Either way you go after Holmes and Parrish as well.

Yea like I said PASSSS!!!! "Myth"smh list all the players that have spurned us from those schools. And how bout ur dorky *** stops telling ppl to shut the *** up. Aint nobody disrespected u, u dnt need to comment on my **** duck.

Sorry that's how I address all stupidity. How bout your dorky *** stops pulling theories out of **** shoot and speak factual information?
Nobody at Deerfield has anything against Miami and that's fact, DUCK.
I'm not speculating, I'm TELLING you.

Advertisement
Back