Jayden Wayne to the portal

Disappointed in the portal as in who from us has entered or who we have targeted thus far on the defensive side?

Also, these guys are a "loss" it is never good to lose a recruit you had high hopes for and it did not pan out for whatever reason. Are they the difference in winning a game or two? Probably not. But still a loss.

Last note, we likely all have been following the portal tracker thread and you see @WeBallinBoyz and others post someone entering and say take or nah and we have a debate. We are obviously tied to Wayne and JHH so we have stronger opinions but say for a second JHH went to Syracuse from the jump and Wayne to Washington and they both entered the portal. Based on the College tape, potential etc. would the board want to take those guys? Or would it ***** and want to wait for some true stud?
8 days in and while the options might not be plentiful, I think there’s enough available talent for this team to acquire and move closer to cementing a 9-win season, preferably 10 if we don’t play horrendously.

RB - Martinez is an absolute slam dunk of an upgrade
WR - Sam Brown is an upgrade and gives you nice YAC
C - Zandamela but questions around his work ethic and overall talent, Mirabal has his work cut out for him with Carpenter

DE - I’d bring in the Jacksonville St guy in a heartbeat, but you’d have to sell him on a rotational role (albeit he’d have a big one), and you already brought in Alston for that. Mesidor can slide inside on obvious passing downs and you can get really athletic/explosive fronts with Bain, Mesidor and Hardie/Alston.

LB - Alderman I guess for the Cloyd role

DT - biggest question mark. Williams is a stud but he’s OU bound. Auburn and Texas are snatching up bodies because they’re bodies. After watching some more tape, I think Barrow would be an upgrade…but LSU is the presumed favorite. Got to hope our tampering skills are on point here and someone from the SEC jumps in.

CB - Dyoni Hill and Anthony Johnson should be no brainers
S - Maybe a depth addition, but the CB grabs would allow you to move Powell back to safety and provide a more experienced starter

Still plenty of time for guys to hop in, but the pressure should be ratcheted up. We know who we have to go after and what positions need the most money allocated. Should have gone harder in the winter portal window, but can’t dwell on the past.

Advertisement
The only part I’d always push back on is that if Wayne wasn’t what we thought why would the next guy be? Seems like a very convenient argument to always say oh he wasn’t what we thought BUT the next guy really is
How I Met Your Mother Comedy GIF by Laff

The only part I’d always push back on is that if Wayne wasn’t what we thought why would the next guy be? Seems like a very convenient argument to always say oh he wasn’t what we thought BUT the next guy really is
He wasnt what we thought..at the NIL price we gave him. Remember when we got Wayne, he was a top 50 player. 5* on most sites. Man he probably got a sweet NIL deal. Ill bet none of the DEs from this class got what we gave Wayne in NIL money.

8 days in and while the options might not be plentiful, I think there’s enough available talent for this team to acquire and move closer to cementing a 9-win season, preferably 10 if we don’t play horrendously.

RB - Martinez is an absolute slam dunk of an upgrade
WR - Sam Brown is an upgrade and gives you nice YAC
C - Zandamela but questions around his work ethic and overall talent, Mirabal has his work cut out for him with Carpenter

DE - I’d bring in the Jacksonville St guy in a heartbeat, but you’d have to sell him on a rotational role (albeit he’d have a big one), and you already brought in Alston for that. Alderman from Louisville is more of a stand up DE/can drop into coverage, so maybe that’s a potential option. Meh.

DT - biggest question mark. Williams is a stud but he’s OU bound. Auburn and Texas are snatching up bodies because they’re bodies. After watching some more tape, I think Barrow would be an upgrade…but LSU is the presumed favorite. Got to hope our tampering skills are on point here and someone from the SEC jumps in.

CB - Dyoni Hill and Anthony Johnson should be no brainers
S - Maybe a depth addition, but the CB grabs would allow you to move Powell back to safety and provide a more experienced starter

Still plenty of time for guys to hop in, but the pressure should be ratcheted up. We know who we have to go after and what positions need the most money allocated. Should have gone harder in the winter portal window, but can’t dwell on the past.

There are def guys in right now that can help this team. I was just tagging you because you are usually the one posting the transfer news as it breaks on twatter. And if we saw JHH or Wayne enter the portal, and most of the board (aside from @Memnon ) likely have no idea who those guys are and just watched some film and looked at stats would either scream take?

He wasnt what we thought..at the NIL price we gave him. Remember when we got Wayne, he was a top 50 player. 5* on most sites. Man he probably got a sweet NIL deal. Ill bet none of the DEs from this class got what we gave Wayne in NIL money.
It's funny you mention that because we signed two 5* DE. One of which was called overrated through much of his senior year when he decommitted.

Advertisement
This just makes me think that blowing a ton of nil reserves on a high ranking class maybe isn’t the move

I believe there's a balance you have to weigh in this situation. The high ranking class is good for optics. At the end of the day recruiting high school or portal is selling your program. Having a high ranking class helps that with building positive momentum and giving you something to point to. Obviously Mario can't point to the on field production yet because his classes haven't translated to that yet. The biggest improvement that can be made is they need to hit on their evaluations better. However, this isn't an isolated issue with just Miami. It's happening at all programs where high ranking players are moving on. Regardless you can't ignore HS recruiting as that is the foundation. For every missed evaluation there are still good ones that have become productive players on this team. Here is a breakdown of players recruited that have produced and looked to be decent players potentially.

Wesley Bissainthe - Starting LB, looks to have finally taken a step
Isaiah Horton - Starting WR, Played last year, still developing.
Jaden Harris - Starting S, played in Kinchens absence last year.
Matthew McCoy - battling for starting LG, has showed flashes
Colbie Young - Was starting WR and doing well now at UGA
Anez Cooper - Starting RG, One of the best in the country.

Francis Mauigoa - Starting RT, Freshman All Conference
Ruben Bain - Starting DE, Freshman All Conference
Mark Fletcher - Starting RB last year, injured but looked like a stud
Ray Ray Joseph - Has shown flashes, unfortunately buried behind X on depth chart
Riley Williams - Has shown flashes, played decent last year.
Damari Brown - Starting CB, took spot late last year
Raul Aguirre - Backup LB, developing well
Tommy Kinsler - Backup OL, played some last year
Emory Williams - Backup QB, started last year, still developing.
Marcellius Pulliam - Backup LB, developing well

Marquise Lightfoot - Showed potential in Spring
Joshisa Trader - Already moved up depth chart in Spring
Ny Carr - Showed potential in Spring
Elija Lofton - Showed massive potential Spring. Early returns positive
Markel Bell - Backup OL, positive early returns.
Cam Pruitt - Showed massive potential Spring. Possibly starting role
Cole McConathy - Showed massive potential Spring. Challenging for PT already

The portal has definitely changed the landscape of the sport where players have to display elite traits early or they'll be replaced which is what I believe happened in the Wayne situation. Other freshman DE's came in and performed at a higher level and passed him on the depth chart. To be honest we should be looking at this as blessing that we no longer have to hold on to mediocre depth taking up a roster spot and are able to upgrade the roster so iron sharpens iron. It will only raise the bar of the team overall.

Advertisement
Again, Miami needs to get below 85 to be active in the portal. He was given his post-spring assessment and he decided to transfer. No more complicated than that.

From what I understand, they can be active in the portal while even over the limit. They just have to get to 85 by a certain date (which I believe is by the time fall practice starts in August).

how do you know a kid isnt it after a season/
You don’t, some of it is gut feeling. This situation is different though due to Mario ****ting the bed first two seasons. It changes the timeline in terms of spending and hoping for future ROI.

It becomes spending and needing ROI now.

Advertisement
Bunch of busts so far from evaluation gurus Mario and Zo.
Lots of great evaluations too though.

The crazy **** is I don’t think we’ve seen the best recruiting class from Mario yet. That’s why they’re going all in on THIS year.

JW was probably waking up in the middle of the night thinking about the big guy Blountstown AJ showing up for summer.

I know it’s been thrown out a lot, but he’s the opposite of Cole. Idk what Cole will be in 3-4 years. But he’s impressed thus far. I’m disappointed in the portal as it stands, hope we’re cooking up something… even with the pending offensive infusion.
Cole is massive, at a minimum he will set the edge.. In 18 months no one will be able to push him around.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back