2024 Jayden Jackson 4* DT from IMG is a Sooner

Advertisement
Yikes man. Thank god for Lightfoot or this place would be unbearable. As far as recruiting goes for the whole defensive line room, it's a failure right now. Outside of Lightfoot (who I'm extremely high on), we have missed on everyone. Russell doesn't even count and normally we can spin local 3 stars. This team better be **** good when games are played because we have nothing that separates us right now.
It's July. We are not in the same position as OSU, UGA, etc. We must win on the field to bring in some of the big dogs. Some will commit. Others will wait and see. The season will dictate how good of class we have

No need to be sweating this out until December. The season will tell us all we need to know. Win, and we close out the 2024 class in the top 10 with huge momentum for the 2025 class.

For me 8 wins is the floor. Beat the teams we are supposed to beat. There are 8 of them. There are 2 toss up games in TAMU and UNC. We are underdogs against Clemson and FSU.

I think everything depends on how good our offense is. I'm not worried about the defense. I'm confident in Guidry that they'll be serviceable at worst and top 20 at best.

So, if the offense lights it up, this could be a 9, 10, or even an 11 win season. If rhey just do what they are supposed to do, then 8 wins.

It may sound silly, but I've been watching the "Coach Coop" YouTube simulation games which are pretty accurate. In the simulation games,TVD looked shakey, but had some nice moments.

Currently, the Canes are 7-0 after beating Clemson at home. I think the game is pretty accurate. It was a low scoring 1st half. Both defenses were dominant. Clemson's offensive line was the weak link as Klubnik was sacked about a dozen times. I think their offensive line really is their weakest link and our OL is our strongest. The game reflected that.

It is all simulation based on the rosters. CPU vs CPU. Very interesting. It even has us with poor tacking in several games. There were several moments in games thst were very reflective of past seasons. The game must use all kinds of of stats as you watch guys make the same mistakes you've seen in real games.

Anyway, I'm circling the TAMU game as a barometer to my expectations for the season. The season will tell us what type of class we wind up with.

Last edited:
Man...defensive line recruiting went from pleasantly confident to downright brutal realities even with Lightfoot committing. We've missed on almost every hopefully top target in the past month alone
Notice how a lot of them are committing in the summer too…

There’s a reason I’ve been borderline incessantly annoying about how important the summer is for recruiting now. I’m not just throwing warnings around because I want to and am impatient lol. We waited through May and June, it’s July and time to act.

Winning games is more important for the ‘25 class than it is for the ‘24 class. This fairy tale dream of us flipping 7-8 kids that matter after we win 10 games is hilarious. And that’s if we win 10…

It's July. We are not in the same position as OSu, UGA, etc. We must win on the field to bring in the big dogs.

No need to be sweating this out until December. The season will tell us all we need to know. Win, and we close out the 2024 class in the top 10 with huge momentum for the 2025 class.

For me 8 wins is the floor. Beat the teams we are supposed to beat. There are 8 of them. There are 2 toss up games in TAMU and UNC. We are underdogs against Clemson and FSU.

I think everything depends on how good our offense is. I'm not worried about the defense. I'm confident in Guidry that they'll be serviceable at worst and top 20 at best.

So, if the offense lights it up, this could be a 9, 10, or even an 11 win season.

It may sound silly, but I've been watching the "Coach Coop" YouTube simulation games which are pretty accurate. In the simulation games,TVD looked shakey, but had some nice moments.

Currently, the Canes are 7-0 after beating Clemson at home. I think the game is pretty accurate. It was a low scoring 1st half. Both defenses were dominant. Clemson's offensive line was the weak link as Klubnik was sacked about a dozen times. I think their offensive really is their weakest link and our OL is our strongest. The game reflected that.

It is all simulation based on the rosters. CPU vs CPU. Very interesting. It even has us with poor tacking in several games.

Anyway, I'm circling the TAMU game as a barometer to my expectations for the season. The season will tell us what type of class we wind up with.
11-win season?

oh yeah snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

There’s a reason I’ve been borderline incessantly annoying about how important the summer is for recruiting now. I’m not just throwing warnings around because I want to and am impatient lol. We waited through May and June, it’s July and time to act.

Winning games is more important for the ‘25 class than it is for the ‘24 class. This fairy tale dream of us flipping 7-8 kids that matter after we win 10 games is hilarious. And that’s if we win 10…

Correct. Timelines are moved WAY up these days compared to where they've been in the past. Not for everyone, but for a high percentage.

Winning on the field in 2023 isn't going to impact the 2024 class much. It may and should impact the 2025 class. But the kids we're recruiting for 2024 aren't going to erase 8 months of thoughts because we beat A&M. It might impact a local kid like Jeremiah Smith somewhat, but these national kids aren't wanting to come to Miami and just waiting for performance this fall. They're weighing their options as they stand today and either committing over the next couple months or early in the season. Of the Top 250 kids, a MUCH smaller percentage of them are uncommitted on Thanksgiving than ever before. There's a reason why we're seeing so many OVs for top kids in the summer.

Advertisement
Big Joe has a few months to fix this up or else it’s pa la Calle.

I’m sure he’s a nice guy but a wet paper bag can land 2 quality DT’s with everything we have to offer in terms of depth chart and alleged money (not sold on this tbh but it’s been repeated we’re offering fine NIL sooooooo ok…).

It’s all in on Breland, Franklin, Jones. Can’t land at least two of them and it’s a failure.

Unless 1 of the 2 is Breland, based on what I was told the staff had set the bar at, it's a fail. Fans can make all the excuses they want, which plenty are, but the staff had extremely high expectations for this DL class. They know they are getting there **** pushed in right now.

What's funny is all the fans saying we should have never expected such an elite DL class. Why did the staff expect it than?

Exactly what I'm trying to tell these guys that majority of the guys are committing in the summer now. Everyone says win games but come Nov December like 90% of guys will be committed. Unless we are flipping like 10 to 15 guys not sure how much winning will help us for 2024 class

Unless 1 of the 2 is Breland, based on what I was told the staff had set the bar at, it's a fail. Fans can make all the excuses they want, which plenty are, but the staff had extremely high expectations for this DL class. They know they are getting there **** pushed in right now.
I wouldn’t call Franklin and Jones, two top 175 recruits a fail. I would be slightly disappointed given what you’re referring to + how the depth chart shakes out in ‘24, but given last seasons results, it’s justifiable. Without the spring and summer hype train in mind, those two headlining a DT class would be respectable. Unfortunately most of us fell for the bait that we’d have five stars banging down the door to play here.

One of three ain’t good enough.

What's funny is all the fans saying we should have never expected such an elite DL class. Why did the staff expect it than?
There’s no denying at this point.

Advertisement
I wouldn’t call Franklin and Jones, two top 175 recruits a fail. I would be slightly disappointed given what you’re referring to + how the depth chart shakes out in ‘24, but given last seasons results, it’s justifiable.

Telling you it would be a fail based on what the staff expected. Again, you as a fan may not because you start talking about last season, etc. But the staff had much higher expectations.

I wouldn’t call Franklin and Jones, two top 175 recruits a fail. I would be slightly disappointed given what you’re referring to + how the depth chart shakes out in ‘24, but given last seasons results, it’s justifiable. Without the spring and summer hype train in mind, those two headlining a DT class would be respectable.

If the DL class turns out to be Lightfoot, Franklin, Jones, and Russell, that's a disappointment. And I'm very high on 3 of those 4 players, but it's still a shadow of what the staff was aiming for.

Telling you it would be a fail based on what the staff expected. Again, you as a fan may not because you start talking about last season, etc. But the staff had much higher expectations.
Yeah you caught me before I edited. 100% agree that because of the kool aid, the expectations were set way too high and anything less than those three would not meet those expectations.

Without the kool aid, it would be pretty fine. But it’s too late to backtrack what the staff led us to believe this DLine class could be.

We must win on the field to bring in the big dogs.

I don't think winning make much difference for recruiting in the NIL era other than lowering the NIL cost.

People keep trotting out the same tired cliche: "The W/L record doesnt matter for any other school, it only matters for recruits interested in UM".

It is such obvious nonsense that it boggles the mind.

Last edited:
Advertisement
the staff was underwhelming imo. i said it last year that Oregon beat writers were saying that Joe cant recruit. i know we promoted taylor to make up for it but hes still green and not really proven as a College level coach (although hes an NFL HOFer). the areas we recruited well here are areas where our staff is proven (i.e. the OL where mario is known for developing kids and sending them to the league PERSONALLY). other than that, id say RB where we never had issues recruiting no matter the coach.

Yeah you caught me before I edited. 100% agree that because of the kool aid, the expectations were set way too high and anything less than those three would not meet those expectations.

Without the kool aid, it would be pretty fine. But it’s too late to backtrack what the staff led us to believe this DLine class could be.

Yes, correct. Any other year we are pretty happy with a haul of Franklin and Jones at DT. But when you consider the desperate need at DT, the amount of resources dedicated to that position thus far, and the goal set by the staff to bring in one of the best DL classes ever, a final haul that does not include one of Breland or Stone is a fail. And not set by me, but by the staff themselves.

Advertisement
It's July. We are not in the same position as OSU, UGA, etc. We must win on the field to bring in some of the big dogs. Some will commit. Others will wait and see. The season will dictate how good of class we have

So, if the offense lights it up, this could be a 9, 10, or even an 11 win season. If rhey just do what they are supposed to do, then 8 wins.

Currently, the Canes are 7-0 after beating Clemson at home. I think the game is pretty accurate. It was a low scoring 1st half. Both defenses were dominant. Clemson's offensive line was the weak link as Klubnik was sacked about a dozen times. I think their offensive line really is their weakest link and our OL is our strongest. The game reflected that.

It is all simulation based on the rosters. CPU vs CPU. Very interesting. It even has us with poor tacking in several games. There were several moments in games thst were very reflective of past seasons. The game must use all kinds of of stats as you watch guys make the same mistakes you've seen in real games.

look man i like the optimism but we havent won 11 in over 20 years and mario has done it ONE time in his entire coaching career. lets just get to 9 wins again

Venables selling these DL on his successful guys that he had at Clemson. He had a hand in what, 3 or 4 1st round picks over his 4-5 years as Clemsons DC. What can we sell. A NFL HOF with his 1st coaching job and big Joe?

the staff was underwhelming imo. i said it last year that Oregon beat writers were saying that Joe cant recruit. i know we promoted taylor to make up for it but hes still green and not really proven as a College level coach (although hes an NFL HOFer). the areas we recruited well here are areas where our staff is proven (i.e. the OL where mario is known for developing kids and sending them to the league PERSONALLY). other than that, id say RB where we never hadssues recruiting no matter the coach.

I for one was NEVER a fan of bringing Joe here. From what I was told, he was not well respected in the coaching ranks as a great teacher. So if that is true, he has to recruit like a monster to justify his on-field position. Bring me 1 bad *** Samoan a year and keep your job. But if you can't do that, teach or recruit your position in general, stop stealing checks. You have to go.

If the DL class turns out to be Lightfoot, Franklin, Jones, and Russell, that's a disappointment. And I'm very high on 3 of those 4 players, but it's still a shadow of what the staff was aiming for.

Come on. Lightfoot is 62nd overall, Franklin is 45th overall, Jones is 165th overall and Russell is our developmental kid. Who cares what you heard the staff was aiming for. If you were in a coma for the past year and I woke you up in December and told you Miami signed three Top 150ish kids on the DL and another local kid who they identified early and took, that's disappointing? At the end of the day, this is a talent acquisition business, not an internet message board business. Do those 4 kids make your team better? And I think we all realize the ceiling for anyone in the HC office at Miami right now is somewhere in the low single digits. We're just not going to sign Top 5 classes, it's not possible right now. So are there 8-10 DL classes around the country that are better than Lightfoot, Franklin, Jones, and Russell? I would lean towards a hard no.

Advertisement
Back