Jarvis Brownlee vs. DJ Ivey - Recruiting Rise

amanan28

New_Era
I want to make a comparison in Brownlee and Ivey in regard to how I believe Brownlee will rise in the recruiting rankings similar to how Ivey did last year. DJ Ivey for the better part of last year right up until the end of his senior year was ranked a low to mid 3 Star prospect. His senior tape came out and he garnered his 4th Star on recruiting services. Many of us fans who followed Ivey's recruitment closely knew he was undervalued on the recruiting services and deserved to be ranked higher. The staff stuck with him and now he is pushing for starting minutes.

Jarvis Brownlee's tape is elite IMO, showing good ball skills, and an aggressive mindset when tackling. I will post below DJ Ivey's sophomore and senior tape, as well as Brownlee's junior tape and let you see how Brownlee is due for a higher ranking. Good on the staff for getting on him early as he is going to blow up this year.

Advertisement
I think the tape is good and don't mind the offer? But I don't think either kid's tape is elite.

I mean if you wanna say Brownlee is elite in punt coverage and punt return blocking ok lol...Because there's like 3 mins of that on the tape.

Again I like Brownlee and think he can do well at UM? But elite?

I think the tape is good and don't mind the offer? But I don't think either kid's tape is elite.

I mean if you wanna say Brownlee is elite in punt coverage and punt return blocking ok lol...Because there's like 3 mins of that on the tape.

There is more to good film than taking the ball to the house, he is good at shedding blocks and making the tackle on first impact. Sticky to WR and when he does get the ball on his hands he takes it to the house. Just noting the potential rise in his recruitment here.

Ivey's 6' plus frame and extremely long arms probably didn't hurt his ranking either, whereas Brownlee has been verified as 5'9.5. I'll admit, I thought he was a longer kid from his film too.

Ivey had a monster senior year, and his tape from that year is pretty **** good.

I mean, he's not an elite athlete, but he has excellent film and has already shown to be a guy to be excited about from spring ball.

Advertisement
Ivey's 6' plus frame and extremely long arms probably didn't hurt his ranking either, whereas Brownlee has been verified as 5'9.5. I'll admit, I thought he was a longer kid from his film too.

Is he really 5’9.5?? Saw on 247 and OS that he was 6’0. If that’s his real size don’t know why he’s a take and Jaden Davis is not (according to Stefan)

They took their time with Samuel because of his height, and he had better tape and more starting experience than Brownlee as CB. If Stevenson and Richards commit (hopefully this summer!!) we'll have 4 DBs in the class, with only one spot remaining. There's no doubt the coaches like Brownlee, but I think it's fair that they need to see more progression before giving him a hard commit offer. Good was their flyer based on his athleticism. They need a polished CB to pair with him.

Advertisement
There is more to good film than taking the ball to the house, he is good at shedding blocks and making the tackle on first impact. Sticky to WR and when he does get the ball on his hands he takes it to the house. Just noting the potential rise in his recruitment here.

Okay but you are saying good film...above you were saying elite. And yes I like the kid's willingness to tackle too.

Last edited:
Let’s watch the development of Campbell Surtain Ivey Hall Blades frierson bethel over the next 2 years. Oftentimes, the system and surrounding talent can hide actual talent and skills. Performance at summer camps can be overrated, especially with offensive and defensive linemen. By the way, who performed the best at wr and DB in the following games: Canes vs FSU; Canes vs ND; and Canes vs VT? Berios Johnson and Bandy are all under 6’ but they have what coaches can’t teach: passion, football IQ, and concentration doing actual games.

Maybe the staff learned their lesson from the ASamuel ***** up and are not going to let that happen again. That's my take.

Many posters are saying JDavis is 5'8 on his best day. Brownlee is a legit 5'9.5 and could be 5'10 by the time he gets to campus. (as to why we would take Brownlee but not Davis)

We need Bandy's replacement in this class. They clearly like Brownlee more then Davis as that replacement. Maybe Davis is Plan B if Brownlee doesn't want in.

Maybe the staff learned their lesson from the ASamuel ***** up and are not going to let that happen again. That's my take.

Many posters are saying JDavis is 5'8 on his best day. Brownlee is a legit 5'9.5 and could be 5'10 by the time he gets to campus. (as to why we would take Brownlee but not Davis)

We need Bandy's replacement in this class. They clearly like Brownlee more then Davis as that replacement. Maybe Davis is Plan B if Brownlee doesn't want in.

Understand taking him as Bandy’s replacement. I just assumed they were looking at him more for the outside because of his “listed height” and tape. Honestly thought he was a bigger type CB that we have been targeting, my mistake.

Advertisement

they were measured at the same exact camp. Brownlee is literally only 3 pds heavier.

You can't be considered elite unless you have the elite measurables to go with the tape.

Until people see a 40 time, some track times or maybe even legit shuttles/3-cones, it will be difficult to see where he might stand compared to others.

Advertisement
I would much rather have Davis! Rather have Brownlee than Good also jus imo! We have ivy outside and Frieson. Bandy can plqy outside so could Brownlee he plays an looks bigger than 5'9,5! Davis is baller reguardless of height an slow playing Elam is a big??? Hope we get Neal, Stevenson, an Richards must gets this class!!!

Let’s watch the development of Campbell Surtain Ivey Hall Blades frierson bethel over the next 2 years. Oftentimes, the system and surrounding talent can hide actual talent and skills. Performance at summer camps can be overrated, especially with offensive and defensive linemen. By the way, who performed the best at wr and DB in the following games: Canes vs FSU; Canes vs ND; and Canes vs VT? Berios Johnson and Bandy are all under 6’ but they have what coaches can’t teach: passion, football IQ, and concentration doing actual games.

I'd like to add natural agility and athleticism (balance, hand eye coordination, judgment of space/distance, timing) to those traits that can't be taught, and are also difficult to measure. Didn't Berrios post the highest SPARQ score at some point? Elite measurables rarely tell the whole story.

Advertisement
Back