Jared Wheeler

Advertisement
Golden: Unbelievable. He's been magnificent. He played a heck of a game yesterday. He's been so consistent. He played more plays than anybody, graded out at 94 percent, had a 100 percent finish grade which means there's not a lot of loafs. That's a really high grade going against veterans they had on the other side. I'm very excited for him, proud of him. He worked hard for this opportunity and deserves what he's getting right now. He's playing like a starter, not a guy who replaced someone that was injured. There's no question here in the last three weeks he's earned an opportunity to start, be the sixth man in the rotation at both guards and at center. He's playing really, really good football, playing with a lot of energy. Not very deep at O-line, which is one of the reasons we're struggling to close out the last two weeks. With (Shane) McDermott coming back this week and (Danny) Isidora next week we should be able to create the depth that we need there.

On one of the plays where Duke was stopped just short of the endzone Wheeler came blasting thru from behind and demolished the USF player. Duke didn't get in but it was great seeing Wheeler's dedication to the play

Seems like an upgrade in run blocking over McDermott

Yep, I noticed that. Great it was an upgrade if anything.

Losing a starting center could have been a LOT worse! (I always remember the Raiders in the SB vs the Bucs with a 2nd string center)

Advertisement
HUGE improvement this week. I actually thought he was meh, when he first stepped in. But he has really been b@lls out. His run blocking has actually been much better than McD. Now if we can just get someone to overtake Bunche at Guard, Duke may actually start running wild on teams.

On one of the plays where Duke was stopped just short of the endzone Wheeler came blasting thru from behind and demolished the USF player. Duke didn't get in but it was great seeing Wheeler's dedication to the play

^^This. Love the effort. He has worked his *** off for 5 years for this opportunity and it will take a lot from McD do get his job back. Jmo

Wheeler stuck out when I watched the replay, the run blocking seemed noticeably better.

Advertisement
McDermott is coming off shoulder surgery and has a bum lower extremity. Just let him heal and be the backup for the rest of the year. Then next year he'll be the starter with Knighton as the backup.

I'm sure that's how it'll play out unless Wheeler falls apart suddenly.

BrianTheBeastLondon ‏@MiamiRadioBeast 10m

Al: Jared Wheeler is "unbelievable" ....graded out at 94% ...no loafs

Something to be said for a dude who is hungry and has been waiting like a caged animal for 5 years to get on the field. He's probably thought he was better than McDermott all along, and now he finally has a chance to prove it. And that motherfcker is 20 yards down field on every play hunting humans. Competition is a beautiful thing.

I remember that **** committed on the radio lol no hat tricks. Correct me if Im wrong.

Yep. He did it on QAM hurricane show. Glad to see him produce, maybe show some scouts. OL guys tend to be the smartest players after the QB.
My roommate in college was a tackle who played some years with Green Bay. He was a physics major!

Advertisement
If Wheeler is grading out better at a higher level at C, he should be starting. I know the best man is going to win regardless.

Matt Porter of the PBP insinuated that McDermott will have to earn his starting position when he comes back...

* On center Shane McDermott, who injured his foot Sept. 7 against Florida and has missed the last two games: “If we needed him yesterday, he would have played,” Golden said. “He looked great in the pregame.” Golden lauded the play of senior Jared Wheeler, who has played in McDermott’s place. It sounds as if McDermott is in a battle for the starting job once he returns.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/cane...cept-for-two-football-hoops-recruiting-notes/

590.jpg

Advertisement
If Wheeler is grading out better at a higher level at C, he should be starting. I know the best man is going to win regardless.

Matt Porter of the PBP insinuated that McDermott will have to earn his starting position when he comes back...

* On center Shane McDermott, who injured his foot Sept. 7 against Florida and has missed the last two games: “If we needed him yesterday, he would have played,” Golden said. “He looked great in the pregame.” Golden lauded the play of senior Jared Wheeler, who has played in McDermott’s place. It sounds as if McDermott is in a battle for the starting job once he returns.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/cane...cept-for-two-football-hoops-recruiting-notes/

McDermott will be given his starting spot back!! He has never really earned that spot, so I doubt he'll will have to now. I think it sucks because Wheeler is definitely an upgrade and makes us that much bigger on the line.

I just hope he doesn't sacrifice reps from guys like Feliciano and Flowers to get Wheeler some more reps. I noticed we moved Bunche out to back up both tackle spots and Wheeler now backs up Feliciano. Wheeler needs his reps to at Center!!

Jared Wheeler might keep McDermott at 2nd string..... just depends on how this week goes i guess.

Advertisement
Back