Jaquan Johnson and the FS position under Diaz

We should wait to see how they align when the games start, but I think it's natural to oversimplify this topic. We don't really play with traditional "strong" and "free" safety roles. It has been discussed on here a number of times. From what was seen in the Spring, Redwine often played the boundary safety, which based on his more slender/wirey frame, you'd think "wait, that doesn't make sense?"

However, the position allows us to be really flexible with what we want to do against spread offenses. We can throw Jaquan over the top to the field side, which allows him to use his instincts and feel in zone coverage, while Redwine may get matched up against an inside WR in man coverage to the short side of the field. Being that Redwine is a former corner, has decent feet and it's the short side of the field (less space and route combination opportunities), we're leveraging attributes to fit our defense.

I haven't watched a single snap of Fall practice this year, but my guess is you'll see Diaz roll out very specific packages. We'll probably even see Finley/Carter work as Safeties with Jaquan at Nickel against specific run teams. The concern is obvious: will we tip our hand based on who we have out there. My answer is Diaz has been excellent at adjusting and, remembering how the game is played with substitution permissions for the defense, he'll have an answer to the offense's personnel groupings.

Lu, can you explain more or link an old thread talking about the safeties? That article didn't do much to differentiate between traditional SS/FS roles vs field/boundary, except the terminology - boundary is basically a SS, and field is basically a FS - unless I'm missing something.

Id love to hear some more Xs and Os while we wait for the season to start. I read a bunch of articles on Mannys defenses over the summer, and have some questions for you and the other guys on the board with the knowledge to answer them.

For example, see this article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/caneswarning.com/2016/01/08/breaking-miami-hurricanes-manny-diaz/amp/

Reading what they say about the safety responsibilities, I don't see how Redwine is suited to be a boundary safety. Using your example (redwine matched up on inside WR), that seems great if a pass play is called, but he likely isn't physical enough to hold up against a run directed at him. Which is why you mentioned packages, and predictability as a concern.

And as high as I am on amari Carter, it seems naive to think a true freshman can step right in and not be a liability, considering the responsibility and decision making that come with the position.

I don't mean to keep banging on redwine (esp considering the positive and reviews on his play at safety), but it seems like we are lacking the ideal athletes to play safety in the Diaz scheme.

Again, I don't claim to know a got **** thin about Xs and Os, just trying to learn and understand. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Lu, can you explain more or link an old thread talking about the safeties? That article didn't do much to differentiate between traditional SS/FS roles vs field/boundary, except the terminology - boundary is basically a SS, and field is basically a FS - unless I'm missing something.
WestEndZone's post right before yours does a good job expanding what I was mentioning regarding ball placement (on the playing field) vs how a strong safety would typically roll to the offense's strong side (traditionally, where the TE was). He mentioned the wider hashes in college football and basically that's what this is all about: leverage. And, why I added we have to fit guys' attributes to Safety roles. Don't have too much free time at the moment, but perhaps we can also talk about Diaz's 2-Read coverages. If you're interested in better understanding how Diaz hedges and his general philosophy, look up some of his coverages at La. Tech.

2-read_vs_2x2.0.0.jpg

Something that's long happened on this board is we think of defenses merely as its front (4-3 vs 3-4) instead of a combination of a front and a coverage. I think we only started to scratch the surface of Diaz's packages last year. Hopefully, he'll remain steady with the aggression (though I appreciate it), too. Either way, it's just nice to have some technical guys combined with our athletes. Diaz, so far, has shown to be pretty **** detailed.

I think we only started to scratch the surface of Diaz's packages last year. Hopefully, he'll remain steady with the aggression (though I appreciate it), too. Either way, it's just nice to have some technical guys combined with our athletes. Diaz, so far, has shown to be pretty **** detailed.

Diaz spoke on this briefly during the Q & A at Canefest. Basically, he said the defensive playbook and scheme was simplified last year to match personnel, and that we should see more this season (and to me, he insinuated there'd be even more to come). Philosophically, Coach Diaz's defense matches the strengths of our local talent (speed, physicality, instinct) more than any UM coordinator in recent history. Could be very special this season.

Here's something I wrote during the spring. It's relevant by implication, I think.

Just a random thought from watching the scrimmage:

I'm pretty sure we play with field and boundary safeties. I noticed Redwine playing to the short side most of the time during the scrimmage. Considering we're a single high team, I can see us being able to play match coverage (man to the boundary; zone to the field). This means we would be rolling our safety coverage to the boundary and allowing Redwine to match up in man coverage with a slot receiver. If we roll safety coverage to the field under that same configuration, it probably means we're blitzing or playing some form of a checked coverage according to the formation displayed by the offense. Either way, it would allow Redwine to play matched up in the slot or in center field. In both situations I think he is being utilized according to his strengths.

The point of what I'm saying is that it's an interesting decision to move a cover guy like Redwine to boundary safety. There's no right answer on what body types and skill sets you're supposed to play at safety as long as your base coverages and assignments play to their strengths. Some teams like to put their bigger bodied player there and play him like an extra linebacker while primarily asking him to play underneath coverages or narrow deep quarter or half zones. Diaz and Banda have obviously put thought into this and I think it's a good fit.

In our system, F$=Field Safety; and S$=Boundary Safety

Wider college hash marks allow teams to specialize safeties in such a way. You're able to specialize skill set/body type according to field and boundary since offenses are limited by shorter boundaries and benefited by wider fields. In the NFL the ball is pretty much always in the middle of the field, so safety alignment rules need to be adjusted to more be efficient considering that NFL offenses are free to attack either side of the field almost equally.

The F$ in our configuration absolutely needs to be our best tackling and most instinctive player in the secondary. Depending on coverage, the F$ is a primary run defender to the field (including in the perimeter screen game), and is a cutback player on runs to the boundary. As to coverage, the inverse of what I said about the S$ applies. He's primarily a deep middle, inside quarter, deep half player and will occasionally invert late and become an underneath defender (this usually occurs during blitz or some sort of a trips check).

Jaquan would thrive at F$ or Nickel (Sam linebacker). In my opinion, the F$ and Nickel in this system are linebackers with defensive back physical attributes. Jaquan fits the bill. The S$ can be any number of options. It's almost like the miscellaneous position you just need to make sure you're calling the right coverages for the guy you have in there.

Nice writeup. I must've missed this while I was typing my post.

I'm still skeptical of redwine in run support from the boundary position. I get how Redwine works as a cover guy and playing center field, but I don't remember him being all that physical and it seems like you need to be at boundary safety.

I assumed it would be a bigger guy, like you mentioned in your spring post. Redwine was a solid tackler from the outside corner position, but I don't remember him fighting off blocks or anything of that nature. Meaning, I don't necessarily see him playing downhill or in the box.

What concerns me is the exact offense so many propose we run - a power spread. Would that not be a bit of a vulnerability?

JJ is so versatile, I think he will be an upgrade at FS when he lines up there. He has incredible anticipation and play recognition. Great football IQ

Blind *** fan alert. Jenkins was one helluva player for us. 6'2" 220 with great range and ball skills. JJ isn't even remotely close in athleticism and speed. I think he can be solid. We will see.

Advertisement
Here's something I wrote during the spring. It's relevant by implication, I think.

Just a random thought from watching the scrimmage:

I'm pretty sure we play with field and boundary safeties. I noticed Redwine playing to the short side most of the time during the scrimmage. Considering we're a single high team, I can see us being able to play match coverage (man to the boundary; zone to the field). This means we would be rolling our safety coverage to the boundary and allowing Redwine to match up in man coverage with a slot receiver. If we roll safety coverage to the field under that same configuration, it probably means we're blitzing or playing some form of a checked coverage according to the formation displayed by the offense. Either way, it would allow Redwine to play matched up in the slot or in center field. In both situations I think he is being utilized according to his strengths.

The point of what I'm saying is that it's an interesting decision to move a cover guy like Redwine to boundary safety. There's no right answer on what body types and skill sets you're supposed to play at safety as long as your base coverages and assignments play to their strengths. Some teams like to put their bigger bodied player there and play him like an extra linebacker while primarily asking him to play underneath coverages or narrow deep quarter or half zones. Diaz and Banda have obviously put thought into this and I think it's a good fit.

In our system, F$=Field Safety; and S$=Boundary Safety

Wider college hash marks allow teams to specialize safeties in such a way. You're able to specialize skill set/body type according to field and boundary since offenses are limited by shorter boundaries and benefited by wider fields. In the NFL the ball is pretty much always in the middle of the field, so safety alignment rules need to be adjusted to more be efficient considering that NFL offenses are free to attack either side of the field almost equally.

The F$ in our configuration absolutely needs to be our best tackling and most instinctive player in the secondary. Depending on coverage, the F$ is a primary run defender to the field (including in the perimeter screen game), and is a cutback player on runs to the boundary. As to coverage, the inverse of what I said about the S$ applies. He's primarily a deep middle, inside quarter, deep half player and will occasionally invert late and become an underneath defender (this usually occurs during blitz or some sort of a trips check).

Jaquan would thrive at F$ or Nickel (Sam linebacker). In my opinion, the F$ and Nickel in this system are linebackers with defensive back physical attributes. Jaquan fits the bill. The S$ can be any number of options. It's almost like the miscellaneous position you just need to make sure you're calling the right coverages for the guy you have in there.

Nice writeup. I must've missed this while I was typing my post.

I'm still skeptical of redwine in run support from the boundary position. I get how Redwine works as a cover guy and playing center field, but I don't remember him being all that physical and it seems like you need to be at boundary safety.

I assumed it would be a bigger guy, like you mentioned in your spring post. Redwine was a solid tackler from the outside corner position, but I don't remember him fighting off blocks or anything of that nature. Meaning, I don't necessarily see him playing downhill or in the box.

What concerns me is the exact offense so many propose we run - a power spread. Would that not be a bit of a vulnerability?

Redwine is physical. Diaz said one thing that impressed him about redwine is his ability to come up and tackle.

Check redwine at the :57 mark. If he does that consistently he will be fine.
[video=youtube_share;c1eK90Aj6do]https://youtu.be/c1eK90Aj6do[/video]

Redwine is physical. Diaz said one thing that impressed him about redwine is his ability to come up and tackle.

Adrien Colbert really laid the wood a few times there, wow.

The :57 second mark was exactly what I was talking about, though. Redwine was a solid tackler on the edge, often unblocked.

As a CB, in run support his primary responsibility would be outside contain. Now, presumably, he will be in the box, with open field blockers looking to put a helmet on him. Different type of physicality, IMO.

I think a guy like Amari Carter, that has that dog in him, would excel in this type of role.

Maybe Redwine will prove me wrong. This is why I listed him as my top player to watch this weekend in the other thread. IMO, if there is any weak link in this defense, it'll probably be at that position (whether it's Redwine or someone else).

Adrien Colbert really laid the wood a few times there, wow.

The :57 second mark was exactly what I was talking about, though. Redwine was a solid tackler on the edge, often unblocked.

As a CB, in run support his primary responsibility would be outside contain. Now, presumably, he will be in the box, with open field blockers looking to put a helmet on him. Different type of physicality, IMO.

I think a guy like Amari Carter, that has that dog in him, would excel in this type of role.

Maybe Redwine will prove me wrong. This is why I listed him as my top player to watch this weekend in the other thread. IMO, if there is any weak link in this defense, it'll probably be at that position (whether it's Redwine or someone else).

I'll wait and see with him but he must have shown diaz that he can do those type things. Season is coming up and i guess we will find out soon enough if he fits there.

We should wait to see how they align when the games start, but I think it's natural to oversimplify this topic. We don't really play with traditional "strong" and "free" safety roles. It has been discussed on here a number of times. From what was seen in the Spring, Redwine often played the boundary safety, which based on his more slender/wirey frame, you'd think "wait, that doesn't make sense?"

However, the position allows us to be really flexible with what we want to do against spread offenses. We can throw Jaquan over the top to the field side, which allows him to use his instincts and feel in zone coverage, while Redwine may get matched up against an inside WR in man coverage to the short side of the field. Being that Redwine is a former corner, has decent feet and it's the short side of the field (less space and route combination opportunities), we're leveraging attributes to fit our defense.

I haven't watched a single snap of Fall practice this year, but my guess is you'll see Diaz roll out very specific packages. We'll probably even see Finley/Carter work as Safeties with Jaquan at Nickel against specific run teams. The concern is obvious: will we tip our hand based on who we have out there. My answer is Diaz has been excellent at adjusting and, remembering how the game is played with substitution permissions for the defense, he'll have an answer to the offense's personnel groupings.

[MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION]. Thank you for that clarification regarding safety alignment. I still have that old school FS and SS stuck in my head. So we essentially have a boundary and a field safety like we see with CBs. Would it be oversimplifying things to say that this is a reaction to the proliferation of the spread offense?

Advertisement

@LuCane. Thank you for that clarification regarding safety alignment. I still have that old school FS and SS stuck in my head. So we essentially have a boundary and a field safety like we see with CBs. Would it be oversimplifying things to say that this is a reaction to the proliferation of the spread offense?
Naturally, yeah. But, mostly because of offenses in combination with what WestEndZone described: the college hash marks make all the difference.

In discussing the topic of safeties, their alignment and the flexibility that Diaz likes to have I immediately thought of our DB commitments for the 2018 class. Imagine the type of flexibility and the ability to disguise Diaz will have once guys like Gilbert Frierson, Josh Jobe, and Al Blades get here.

In discussing the topic of safeties, their alignment and the flexibility that Diaz likes to have I immediately thought of our DB commitments for the 2018 class. Imagine the type of flexibility and the ability to disguise Diaz will have once guys like Gilbert Frierson, Josh Jobe, and Al Blades get here.
I'm sure they couldn't be any more excited about it. And, you left out Hall, who seems like a great fit at S for Diaz.

Now we just need to find our next SSLB to battle Wilder (for when Mccloud likely declares early). Those hybrid players like Jermaine Grace aren't only extremely valuable in the pros. They're awesome fits for what Diaz wants to do, too.

Last edited:
JJ is so versatile, I think he will be an upgrade at FS when he lines up there. He has incredible anticipation and play recognition. Great football IQ

Blind *** fan alert. Jenkins was one helluva player for us. 6'2" 220 with great range and ball skills. JJ isn't even remotely close in athleticism and speed. I think he can be solid. We will see.

I'd challenge that argument any day.

Advertisement

I'm sure they couldn't be any more excited about it. And, you left out Hall, who seems like a great fit at S for Diaz.

Now we just need to find our next SSLB to battle Wilder (for when Mccloud likely declares early). Those hybrid players like Jermaine Grace aren't only extremely valuable in the pros. They're awesome fits for what Diaz wants to do, too.

Based on what ive seen so far..I think Sam Brooks from MNW is our winner here, LuCane.

Based on what ive seen so far..I think Sam Brooks from MNW is our winner here, LuCane.

I was about to say the same thing. I thought the kid from Jensen Beach had great potential in that role but I guess we are out of it for him.

Advertisement
Back