James Williams will be a cane

Advertisement
So if Manny wins 6 or 7 regular season games this year, assuming an 11 or 12 game schedule, you’d give him 2 more years?

Depends on a lot of factors.

1. Who is available to replace him? Would I fire him for Lashlee? No. Then you are just changing for the sake of change. If Cristobal wants in? Yes.

2. Why did the season go sideways? Injuries? Or what if Miami has a top 5 defense but cant put points on the board? Who is to blame- Diaz or Lashlee? Or maybe we see what Lashlee is trying to do but he needs players suited to his system (virtually all were recruited for a pro-style).

3. How is recruiting? If he wins 7 but Miami is looking at a top 10 class, then yes, I'd give him more time. If recruiting collapses, then there might not be a way for him to save himself.

Advertisement
D almost had me thinking I was the crazy one. I wished him good health in my 1st post, I still do but it seems he caught the "Winnie the Pooh" strain of COVID that turned him into Eeyore. "Everything sucks, the U has no fanbase outside of S Fl, kids dont care about the history of the program, we should be on Telemundo..."

No one cares? As another poster said- the national media went bananas over Miami in 2017. You had SEC trolls like Finebaum rocking the turnover chain. Every sports show was talking about the U. I dont remember them going nuts about Baylor or Minnesota when they were undefeated going into week 12 last year.

I gotta say, it's sad that a former player would be throwing so much shade at the program. I was really disappointed to read that D and Vilma get together and laugh at how Miami is barely a regional brand now and he says that it's an indictment of the fanbase.

Over the last 5 years, Miami has averaged 34th overall in attendance- that's better than Oregon, Ok State, Baylor, TCU. In 2017, Miami was 22nd overall- and has BY FAR the smallest student body of any school in the top 25. Relative to the record and the size of the school, Miami actually has a far more supportive fan base than it probably deserves, especially given the overall record of the past few years.

The vaseline smeared lens covering up the blemishes of Butch's horrendous start is interesting. Bootch went 5-6 in 1997 in YEAR 3. Worst record since 1979. Loses 47-0 to FSU. Fans were saying that any success was because of Erickson's players. Davis inherited a team that had JUST PLAYED in the national championship game and only managed to win 8 games with an extremely soft schedule. Oh- the sanctions? Not buying that excuse in 1995. That 1st season gave the impression that Davis had zero idea of how to be a head coach. Terrible decision making. A horrendous offense. Putrid special teams.

The next season he loses to East Carolina 31-6 at home. Loses to FSU and VT at home. Oh and Mr. Tough Guy Butch Davis got treated like a ***** by Ryan Clement on the sidelines in that VT game for the Big East title. I suppose that former players didn't hear the CBS commentators mocking Davis for letting his QB berate him into calling off a FG. Turns out Clement was right and Miami gets the ball to the 1 yard line with 3 sec left. Then Davis sends the FG team out. Then after a VT timeout he changes his mind and sends the offense back out. Then the O is in disarray, gets a delay of game so he sends the FG unit back out, which then misses a chip shot FG going into the half. Fans had seen enough and were flying banners in year 3. Anyone reasonable person looking at the program would have been 100% on board with firing Davis after the 5 win season, especially given the questionable coaching and schemes up to that point.

What a luxury to have for people to ignore 3 years of a coach that inherited a team that played in the national championship game and mustered only a 5 win season only 3 years later. I'm glad they didn't though, as its dumb to judge a coach's tenure before he has had a 4 years. Meanwhile, people are saying "Manure" should get fired after inheriting a 7 win team and no QB, then only winning 6 his 1st year. I'm not being a sunshine pumper- I'm simply giving Diaz the same benefit of the doubt I gave Davis. One standard- 4 years before I can say a coach has what it takes or doesn't. It seems that being rational and fair isnt possible for a good percentage of the board.

Jez, do we need to go through a play by play of the Coker years, the Shannon years, Golden, Richt, Diaz, etc. Despite everything, with the exception of 1997, all his teams finished the season ranked. Additionally, he's won all of his bowl games (4-0). When was the last time we can say that. Perhaps, never.

That's not too shabby if that's your floor.

It may be time to start the James Williams Part 3 thread.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You can say "there's no way he was going to fire him" and we'll just disagree on that. Booch would have been toast if today's social media climate was present back then. Never would have made it to his 4th year. He was getting whipped every year by FSU and VT, and that was at a time when our fans still had very high expectations for the program.

When I tell you Erickson feared for his life after losing 2 games his first season I'm not kidding. Different mindset back then with our fans. We were like what Alabaga fans are like now.

Erickson won the National Championship his first year. The only game they lost was at FSU , a game QB Erickson missed forcing us fo start a freshman Torretta.

Jez, do we need to go through a play by play of the Coker years, the Shannon years, Golden, Richt, Diaz. Despite everything, with the exception of 1997, all his teams finished the season ranked. Additionally, he's won all of his bowl games (4-0). When was the last time we can say that. Perhaps, never.

That's not too shabby if that's your floor.

It may be time to start the James William Part 3 thread.

Again, you are viewing Butch through a lens of nostalgia and forgetting the conversation at the time. In 95, fans were saying only a corch could take a team that played in the national championship the year prior and win 8 games. Critics were saying he wasn't ready to take over as HC and Miami should not have put the program in the hands of a 1st time HC. The game mismanagement reinforced that perception. The following year the questionable decision making continued. In today's day and age, that 5 win season in 97 would have been the end of the Davis era. Fortunately Paul Dee was patient.
The opposite thing happened with Coker. After back to back championship appearances, fans thought we had found our Bear Bryant. Coker was going to build a dynasty. We know how that turned out. The silver lining to all the failed coaches after Davis is that it was much easier to see what the failures had in common and what the winners had in common. What is the common factor for the failures? Poor recruiting and inflexibility. When things went wrong, the failures always said it was because of execution, not scheme. Golden wouldnt change his defense. Richt wouldn't change his offense. Golden was recruiting to build a Big 10 defense. Richt was recruiting to build an early 2000s SEC offense. What did the winners have in common? They were innovators and good recruiters.

So why wont I lump Diaz in with the failures yet? Because he seems to be more in the innovator and good recruiter camp. In 2020, Miami will not have a pro-style offense for the 1st time in school history. Do you realize how significant that is? In his 1st year, Diaz landed a #15 class after a 6 win season. I think odds are good Miami will end up with a top 10 class in 2021. If the season goes very well, maybe top 6. Thats **** fine recruiting. And that brings me back to Williams. He wants to be a Cane. But he wants to see Miami put a good product on the field. The fact that Miami is his leader after the season we just had tells me Diaz has some top notch recruiters on his staff. If Miami has a 10 win season (and I think we will), recruiting will be at championship level and we will be back on top of the CFB world.

Advertisement
Again, you are viewing Butch through a lens of nostalgia and forgetting the conversation at the time. In 95, fans were saying only a corch could take a team that played in the national championship the year prior and win 8 games. Critics were saying he wasn't ready to take over as HC and Miami should not have put the program in the hands of a 1st time HC. The game mismanagement reinforced that perception. The following year the questionable decision making continued. In today's day and age, that 5 win season in 97 would have been the end of the Davis era. Fortunately Paul Dee was patient.
The opposite thing happened with Coker. After back to back championship appearances, fans thought we had found our Bear Bryant. Coker was going to build a dynasty. We know how that turned out. The silver lining to all the failed coaches after Davis is that it was much easier to see what the failures had in common and what the winners had in common. What is the common factor for the failures? Poor recruiting and inflexibility. When things went wrong, the failures always said it was because of execution, not scheme. Golden wouldnt change his defense. Richt wouldn't change his offense. Golden was recruiting to build a Big 10 defense. Richt was recruiting to build an early 2000s SEC offense. What did the winners have in common? They were innovators and good recruiters.

So why wont I lump Diaz in with the failures yet? Because he seems to be more in the innovator and good recruiter camp. In 2020, Miami will not have a pro-style offense for the 1st time in school history. Do you realize how significant that is? In his 1st year, Diaz landed a #15 class after a 6 win season. I think odds are good Miami will end up with a top 10 class in 2021. If the season goes very well, maybe top 6. Thats **** fine recruiting. And that brings me back to Williams. He wants to be a Cane. But he wants to see Miami put a good product on the field. The fact that Miami is his leader after the season we just had tells me Diaz has some top notch recruiters on his staff. If Miami has a 10 win season (and I think we will), recruiting will be at championship level and we will be back on top of the CFB world.
I didn't read this. Just saw the word nostalgia in the first line and said what's the point. That's nonsense. We had a chance to get him back but blew it. That time had come and gone. Now many keep trying to justify it by nitpicking mistakes and rehashing perceived grievances. News flash. None of them were perfect. If that's the expectation, they will continue to be disappointed.

For as much talk as we hear about moving on, the more things stay the same. We've been on a treadmill for 20 years, changing the characters we call coaches but doing the same things expecting different results. Worse, we haven't forgotten how we changed the face of college football, we just treat it like some dirty secret from the past that we're ashamed of and are trying to distance ourselves from. Until we come to grips with our past. salvage the good, jettison the bad, we're not going to get anywhere as a program.

I don't like his hip for safety. U tell me that kids coming for LB I'll be like ok.....u take the kid anyway but the coverage concerns me when I insert him in d1.
He'll find that out quickly once he hits campus and goes up against D1 WRs. It's amazing how quickly things change once they realize they'll see the field quicker with a position change.

Advertisement
Great range and elite ball skills, with Reed here helping him study QB films he can be a monster turnover machine
It trips me out so much how he’s able to do it at THAT size also. Freak athlete and a grown man on the field, we need to reserve some kind of Isaiah Simmons role for him on defense if we get him.

Sorry, WHEN we get him 😜

D almost had me thinking I was the crazy one. I wished him good health in my 1st post, I still do but it seems he caught the "Winnie the Pooh" strain of COVID that turned him into Eeyore. "Everything sucks, the U has no fanbase outside of S Fl, kids dont care about the history of the program, we should be on Telemundo..."

No one cares? As another poster said- the national media went bananas over Miami in 2017. You had SEC trolls like Finebaum rocking the turnover chain. Every sports show was talking about the U. I dont remember them going nuts about Baylor or Minnesota when they were undefeated going into week 12 last year.

I gotta say, it's sad that a former player would be throwing so much shade at the program. I was really disappointed to read that D and Vilma get together and laugh at how Miami is barely a regional brand now and he says that it's an indictment of the fanbase.

Over the last 5 years, Miami has averaged 34th overall in attendance- that's better than Oregon, Ok State, Baylor, TCU. In 2017, Miami was 22nd overall- and has BY FAR the smallest student body of any school in the top 25. Relative to the record and the size of the school, Miami actually has a far more supportive fan base than it probably deserves, especially given the overall record of the past few years.

The vaseline smeared lens covering up the blemishes of Butch's horrendous start is interesting. Bootch went 5-6 in 1997 in YEAR 3. Worst record since 1979. Loses 47-0 to FSU. Fans were saying that any success was because of Erickson's players. Davis inherited a team that had JUST PLAYED in the national championship game and only managed to win 8 games with an extremely soft schedule. Oh- the sanctions? Not buying that excuse in 1995. That 1st season gave the impression that Davis had zero idea of how to be a head coach. Terrible decision making. A horrendous offense. Putrid special teams.

The next season he loses to East Carolina 31-6 at home. Loses to FSU and VT at home. Oh and Mr. Tough Guy Butch Davis got treated like a ***** by Ryan Clement on the sidelines in that VT game for the Big East title. I suppose that former players didn't hear the CBS commentators mocking Davis for letting his QB berate him into calling off a FG. Turns out Clement was right and Miami gets the ball to the 1 yard line with 3 sec left. Then Davis sends the FG team out. Then after a VT timeout he changes his mind and sends the offense back out. Then the O is in disarray, gets a delay of game so he sends the FG unit back out, which then misses a chip shot FG going into the half. Fans had seen enough and were flying banners in year 3. Anyone reasonable person looking at the program would have been 100% on board with firing Davis after the 5 win season, especially given the questionable coaching and schemes up to that point.

What a luxury to have for people to ignore 3 years of a coach that inherited a team that played in the national championship game and mustered only a 5 win season only 3 years later. I'm glad they didn't though, as its dumb to judge a coach's tenure before he has had a 4 years. Meanwhile, people are saying "Manure" should get fired after inheriting a 7 win team and no QB, then only winning 6 his 1st year. I'm not being a sunshine pumper- I'm simply giving Diaz the same benefit of the doubt I gave Davis. One standard- 4 years before I can say a coach has what it takes or doesn't. It seems that being rational and fair isnt possible for a good percentage of the board.
The 94 UM vs Nebraska wasn't a NC game for UM....If UM Won..Penn St would have been crowned....

The team Butch inherited in 95 was devoid of any worthwhile QB....with a Horrendous OL aside from KC Jones...Thanks to Erickson's garbage *** recruiting....Once JJs kids left after 92 season....Everything in ref to recruiting went to sh*t.....

Advertisement
Back