James Williams may well stay at S, but...

When you find an athletic freak who is also a student of the game, the important thing is to 1. get them here and 2. get them on the field. Let him develop/eat/train, and he'll play his way into or out of a position. If he can't hang at safety and we have an Allen Bailey situation where he has to move forward a level, then so be it. I mean ****, we created a position in this defense just for hybrid types. As long as he signs on the dotted line come signing day, I have no worries about his position.

Advertisement
...this is who he reminds me of...

Jevon Kearse

"He played strong safety and tight end, and in his first season in high school, he returned four kicks for touchdowns."

"Starting college at 6 feet, 4 inches tall, and 215 pounds, Kearse was projected as either a linebacker or defensive back. He accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Steve Spurrier's Florida Gators football team from 1995 to 1998.[4] He began his college career at safety before shifting to outside linebacker in 1996.[5] Later in his college career, he would occasionally line up at defensive end during obvious passing situations to intensify the Gators' pass rush."
I don’t care where he plays , long as he produce. I see him as an Isaiah Simmons type of player

Who knows where this kid ends up after a year of SC. He’s already 6’5 225. Imagine his jr year if he’s up to 240-250. What then? He’s a LB imo

Supposedly changing things about his diet and workouts to get more lean. I thought he was eventually a lb but his hips and speed are a lot better then I expected. He turns and runs really well. I think he’ll be used everywhere but safety will definitely be in play. The Ray Ray comparison is bad imo, he’s nowhere near as stiff.

Advertisement
Supposedly changing things about his diet and workouts to get more lean. I thought he was eventually a lb but his hips and speed are a lot better then I expected. He turns and runs really well. I think he’ll be used everywhere but safety will definitely be in play. The Ray Ray comparison is bad imo, he’s nowhere near as stiff.
Right. We will see. Sometimes doesn’t matter how lean you try to be. Depends on body structure. If he can carry 240-250 and keep his speed he’s going to be an elite LB, that can also cover the new age TE. Not many LB can stay with the Ertz, Kittle, Kelce of the world.

First thing that needs to happen is, everyone needs to stop any comparison to Sean Taylor. Taylor had hips that may never be matched by someone with his height and speed. Thats what made him ungodly. Let Williams get in Strength and Conditioning program and see where it goes. At the end of the day, dude is gonna need to maintain speed to stay at a safety position. JMO i see him as a linebacker

Advertisement
I believe quite strongly that he's the kind of player that can excel at several positions. The staff better not mess this up, because he's a difference maker. Just get him out there and see where he dominates the most and leave him there.
Thank God Golden won’t get ahold of him....he’d be fattened up like Chickillo.

Needs more fluidity in his hips. I’ve also said he can our Simmons. He’s a freak athlete, but think he becomes a multi millionaire as a LB

Size and speed wise he seems comparable to Cam Chancellor although he may end up being a bit taller and faster.

Advertisement
He gonna play everywhere like we do with Amari Carter.. Just a bigger better version.. Amari has been in box, single high safety, on edge, spy, fake DT, blitzer, etc.. OOOWWWEEEEEE

Advertisement
Some time ago, I was on here arguing about how Rousseau would clearly end up as a DE. These things have less to do with specific height/weight and are more about feet. When it comes to Williams, you simply let this one play out. His feet are better than Amari Carter's right now. Luckily, football has changed in a way a player like Williams can be used in multiple ways. Get on campus. Figure it out depending on what his feet show. Create sub-packages that utilize his strengths.

You think he could be a 2 way player? I know you don't see that much anymore.

Advertisement
Back