James Williams may well stay at S, but...

I like him at linebacker but sticking him in one spot and not using his versatility would be a waste of what makes him special. Maybe play him a LB in base package and safety when they go to their odd front dime package. (forgot what manny calls that personnel grouping). ****, maybe line him up ten yards off the ball and walk him up as an extra pass rusher.

Advertisement
It all depends on how big Williams gets.

If he shows up at Miami next year at 6'6" 240, he'll be a DE or TE.

We'll know more in a year.

Why do y’all think he has to automatically put on 20-30 lbs as he gets older? You don’t think we can get him in our S&C program and keep his weight at 220 but add strength, flexibility and agility? If he wants to play S let him play there. Stop trying to put every player in a box based off what they look like.

i agree I think James Williams skillset is a free safety all day. He has all the tools including his mental to be a great free safety imo.

It's been mentioned on here recently he may already be 225-230 (by his coach and Brooklyn Dee).

I'd be surprised if he were only 220-225 when he shows up - he'll keep growing.

But, we'll definitely know more when he shows up in a year.

if he grows to 6’6” but can stay around 220-225 I’m keeping him at safety.

Advertisement
Let him decide on Greentree. Him adding size in college is inevitable. It depends on how much growth though.

I can see this because, you have to accept it, the kid is already 6'5" with a strong frame. He will add weight with training and becoming a man. He will easily be 240-250 and no way a safety at that size. Not saying the kid won't shine, but nature and training won't let him stay at safety.

You don’t know his genetics bro. His frame may be able to easily add 20-30lbs of muscle or it may NOT. My brother is 6’4 and the bulkiest he can get is 220 all lean muscle. I am 6’2 240 lean . My genetics allow my frame to carry more mass than my older bro. Same parent but different genes from both. James Williams is a very fluid athlete who can move extremely well for a man of his size. He may have enough fast twitch muscle fibers that allow him to gain weight and NOT lose speed or fluidity or he may not. It’s all in his DNA. Sooner or later we will find out . Until we do , I say let him roam around at safety.

Advertisement
Free safety
Free Willy...

1595970510182.png

I don't care what he does as long he does it at a high level. Only thing you can really do is Hope the coaching staff is dynamic enough to see his skill set and use him accordingly.
I believe quite strongly that he's the kind of player that can excel at several positions. The staff better not mess this up, because he's a difference maker. Just get him out there and see where he dominates the most and leave him there.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Dk why everyone is convinced kid has to move to LB/DE, I get it kids tall but as others have said from seeing him in person, dude does not like being in the box. Dudes athletic and makes plays on the ball keep him at safety. If he gets taller cool, LeBRON is 6’8 250, I’d take that frame and speed at safety. All depends on how JW develops his body

James wants to be a safety. He’s a transendging talent like Lamar Jackson.
He's everything u want the only thing I think he needs to be is more physical.....he doesn't thump like the great ST but he diagnosis plays well at the safety spot. He looks hella rangy as well and it looks easy for him.....he deserves that 5 star ranking and needs to improve on some areas. Can't wait to see him when he developed here with some added muscle....monster man

He's everything u want the only thing I think he needs to be is more physical.....he doesn't thump like the great ST but he diagnosis plays well at the safety spot. He looks hella rangy as well and it looks easy for him.....he deserves that 5 star ranking and needs to improve on some areas. Can't wait to see him when he developed here with some added muscle....monster man
Agree but you really can’t thump anyone. This sissy *** college football won’t allow it

Advertisement
Back