James Williams may well stay at S, but...

McKenzieMoore

Recruit
...this is who he reminds me of...

Jevon Kearse

"He played strong safety and tight end, and in his first season in high school, he returned four kicks for touchdowns."

"Starting college at 6 feet, 4 inches tall, and 215 pounds, Kearse was projected as either a linebacker or defensive back. He accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Steve Spurrier's Florida Gators football team from 1995 to 1998.[4] He began his college career at safety before shifting to outside linebacker in 1996.[5] Later in his college career, he would occasionally line up at defensive end during obvious passing situations to intensify the Gators' pass rush."

Advertisement
Watching his film i really dont see him at Safety in high school yaa but he needs to move to backer and striker and he doesn't seem like hes the stick his nose in there type of player. Im glad we got the kid but again watching the film i just dont see him at safety.

Advertisement
I can see this because, you have to accept it, the kid is already 6'5" with a strong frame. He will add weight with training and becoming a man. He will easily be 240-250 and no way a safety at that size. Not saying the kid won't shine, but nature and training won't let him stay at safety.

Advertisement

I know we're not ever supposed to compare our guys to Noles, but that's his prototype right there.

6'4 220lbs, Hybrid S/LB.

And I don't compare him to Isaiah Simmoms because he has legit 4.4 speed, actually ran a 4.39 at the combine, JW is more in that high 4.5 range & he's not a polished tackler like Simmons is.

I know we're not ever supposed to compare our guys to Noles, but that's his prototype right there.

6'4 220lbs, Hybrid S/LB.

And I don't compare him to Isaiah Simmoms because he has legit 4.4 speed, actually ran a 4.39 at the combine, JW is more in that high 4.5 range & he's not a polished tackler like Simmons is.

Probably a first round pick next April.

I dont think he stays at safety but if the young man wants to try, why get in his way?

To me, LB is his $ position. Whether in coverage or rushing off the edge, he has all the physical attributes to be special! But he wants to be a S and I hope the staff respects that.

Hes about to join one of the most talented safety rooms in America. I'm sure things will work themself out.

Last edited:
Advertisement
...this is who he reminds me of...

Jevon Kearse

"He played strong safety and tight end, and in his first season in high school, he returned four kicks for touchdowns."

"Starting college at 6 feet, 4 inches tall, and 215 pounds, Kearse was projected as either a linebacker or defensive back. He accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Steve Spurrier's Florida Gators football team from 1995 to 1998.[4] He began his college career at safety before shifting to outside linebacker in 1996.[5] Later in his college career, he would occasionally line up at defensive end during obvious passing situations to intensify the Gators' pass rush."

I played with Von, the kick return story is fake news.

I can see this because, you have to accept it, the kid is already 6'5" with a strong frame. He will add weight with training and becoming a man. He will easily be 240-250 and no way a safety at that size. Not saying the kid won't shine, but nature and training won't let him stay at safety.
Who says he has to get to 240-250?

I’m sure Feeley can devise a regimen that can get him to 230 and increase athleticism.

It ain’t easy to get to 240-250 without working specifically towards that goal. He may even reach that in the off season, but decent chance he can keep his playing weight around 230

Advertisement
I don't see it. Williams does not have a frame for 250 lbs. His legs especially aren't built to carry that kind of weight.

Why do y’all think he has to automatically put on 20-30 lbs as he gets older? You don’t think we can get him in our S&C program and keep his weight at 220 but add strength, flexibility and agility? If he wants to play S let him play there. Stop trying to put every player in a box based off what they look like.

6'4 220lbs, Hybrid S/LB.

Good comparison But I think James Williams is much more comfortable in space and Hamsah is better in run support.

Who knows where this kid ends up after a year of SC. He’s already 6’5 225. Imagine his jr year if he’s up to 240-250. What then? He’s a LB imo

Advertisement
Back