James breaks down UM visit, would commit if offered

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Leon (FL) WR Semaj James is already poised to be one of the top recruits in the 2021 class. Michigan, South Carolina, Auburn, and Missouri are just some of the recent offers he’s received this spring as his sophomore tape travelled around coaching circles, however, there is one offer in particular he is still waiting on.

“Miami has always been the school I wanted to make a statement at,” James said of UM. “I seen all the greatest players that played there, so big things are happening and I feel that I can contribute to that.”

James had been in contact with Director of Recruiting David Cooney and TE coach Stephen Field, and the pair convinced him to come down to Miami back on March 1st weekend to start building a relationship with the coaching staff.

“It was great, major love from the coaches,” James said of his UM visit. “It was amazing, just the campus by itself is speechless. I am definitely scheduling to go back.”

During the trip, the 6’0” 185 pound receiver got to meet two of the more important people in the Miami program: head coach Manny Diaz and WR coach Taylor Stubblefield. It’s clear both coaches made an impression on the young receiver.

On Diaz: “I think he is a good coach honestly and I’m excited to see what’s in store with me and him in these next 2 years.”

On Stubblefield: “He is a good coach, he means business. He has a way of doing things. His way is way different from other receiver coaches I’ve recently talked to. Just from talking to him, the difference between him and other coaches is he doesn’t sugarcoat anything. He is one of the realest coaches I’ve talked to.”

What did the staff say about a potential Miami offer in the future?

“They will have somebody come see me during spring and I will schedule a time to go up there again sometime in the spring,” James said.

If he did get a Miami offer though, it seems James was ready to commit on the spot.

“I was so ready to get the offer and commit, like it’s really where I want to be,” James said. “In my mind, I want to go to Miami.”

In the meantime, James plans to travel and see other schools this spring. The rising junior is making sure he sees plenty of other schools so he has a good idea of a comparison to Miami.

“I’ll probably be visiting LSU this weekend and visit other schools in the spring like FSU, UCF and Georgia,” James said. “The Gators are coming in hard too, I went there last weekend.”

Advertisement
On Stubblefield: “He is a good coach, he means business. He has a way of doing things. His way is way different from other receiver coaches I’ve recently talked too. Just from talking to him, the difference between him and other coaches is he doesn’t sugarcoat anything. He is one of the realest coaches I’ve talked to.”

Coach Stubbs is my biggest concern on the staff. There's a difference between being standoffish and aloof versus being direct and a no BS type of guy. I'm hoping he's the latter. Right now I have no idea if he can coach or recruit.

PS offer this kid!

It's rare for a kid from Tallahassee to be so interested & actually wants to be a Cane.

He's a very gifted athlete & good Basketball player too with great upside & still growing he's actually around 6'2 - 6'3 right now.

Not gon lie, this kinda reminds of Warren Thompson (if yall remember him from the 18 class lol). Not saying that Semaj is like him as a player or his recruitment will go the same way, just saying it's sorta similar with a WR from enemy turf (Warren was from Seffner) who was really excited about being a Cane & essentially committed early only to decommit about 45secs later lol.

Again not saying this is or will be the case with Semaj, he actually sounds a lot more genuine & like he really would stick with his commitment.

It's rare for a kid from Tallahassee to be so interested & actually wants to be a Cane.

He's a very gifted athlete & good Basketball player too with great upside & still growing he's actually around 6'2 - 6'3 right now.

Not gon lie, this kinda reminds of Warren Thompson (if yall remember him from the 18 class lol). Not saying that Semaj is like him as a player or his recruitment will go the same way, just saying it's sorta similar with a WR from enemy turf (Warren was from Seffner) who was really excited about being a Cane & essentially committed early only to decommit about 45secs later lol.

Again not saying this is or will be the case with Semaj, he actually sounds a lot more genuine & like he really would stick with his commitment.

Warren wanted to be a Cane but everyone around him prevented it from happening.

On Stubblefield: “He is a good coach, he means business. He has a way of doing things. His way is way different from other receiver coaches I’ve recently talked too. Just from talking to him, the difference between him and other coaches is he doesn’t sugarcoat anything. He is one of the realest coaches I’ve talked to.”

Coach Stubbs is my biggest concern on the staff. There's a difference between being standoffish and aloof versus being direct and a no BS type of guy. I'm hoping he's the latter. Right now I have no idea if he can coach or recruit.

PS offer this kid!
Well at least for now he's kept Fleming & Robinson in the fold so he can st least play some defense recruiting wise

Advertisement

Back in the day, we used to go hard core after tally kids year after year and we almost had them. Pat Wakins, Cro, Vanover, Crappy, Rouse, were all guys that were at one point a silent to us and almost signed with us. I think we put a stop to that once Shannon came on board.

U like that film?

I dont know man, love his attitude about the U but I dont know if thats swaying me to like his film. I dont know man

Back in the day, we used to go hard core after tally kids year after year and we almost had them. Pat Wakins, Cro, Vanover, Crappy, Rouse, were all guys that were at one point a silent to us and almost signed with us. I think we put a stop to that once Shannon came on board.

That we did. Struck out so much though it wasn't even funny.

Still remember Antonio Cromartie's film from back then. He was just an absolute freak for the time. Ended up having a great career, but I always wondered how good he could've been had he not blown his knee out. Seemed to lose a bit of speed with that.

IMHO, him not being a 5 star recruit when he came out was one of the most criminal rankings I have ever seen. He was the new generation of tall corners. I wanted that dude bad as a Cane.

I'll be honest. I did not see UM caliber explosion or elite quickness. His YAC potential seems virtually non existent and James didn't seem to get a lot in terms of seperation. He seems to have good hands as well as being a willing blocker. Right now he looks like a possession receiver to me.

Right now in the spring before his junior year is a crucial time for James. He is still growing and developing physically and with hard work its not out of the question that he could transform his game and gain the explosion he currently lacks. However as it stands right now I do not see a UM caliber WR. That film seemed very pedestrian to me. Not knocking the kid. Just being real.

Advertisement
I'll be honest. I did not see UM caliber explosion or elite quickness. His YAC potential seems virtually non existent and James didn't seem to get a lot in terms of seperation. He seems to have good hands as well as being a willing blocker. Right now he looks like a possession receiver to me.

Right now in the spring before his junior year is a crucial time for James. He is still growing and developing physically and with hard work its not out of the question that he could transform his game and gain the explosion he currently lacks. However as it stands right now I do not see a UM caliber WR. That film seemed very pedestrian to me. Not knocking the kid. Just being real.
Thanks.

Advertisement
Back