2028 Jamarcus "Mark" Johnson 5* DT from Lyons, GA (Toombs County HS)

@JHallCanes , with a nickname like "Mark", this recruitment should be a layup. You literally couldn't ask for anything more.

Basketball Crossover GIF by JMUDukes
 
Johnson has eight programs standing out as he starts to sort through his options among college football's traditional powers in the southeast.

"Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, Miami, LSU, Georgia, and Alabama, and Florida State," Johnson said of current leaders.

And the big defensive tackle has seven game-day visits lined up for the fall.

As he sorts through his options, Johnson is looking for a few things in particular.

"I want the staff and D-Line coach to know me really well, to let me know where I need help at," Johnson said. "And academics so I can learn the ways of teaching."

Among the potential future positions coaches who have done a good job building a connection with Johnson are Alabama's Freddie Roach, Tennessee's Rodney Garner and Florida's Gerald Chatman. Miami's staff was also mentioned as doing a nice job with Johnson.

The coming months will be valuable data points for Johnson as he continues whittling down options while taking in game-day atmospheres and seeing how teams perform on the field.

But a decision isn't expected all that soon as he said he's likely going to make a decision closer to his senior season.

For now, Johnson will balance his recruitment while playing the sport that became a passion thanks to dad.

"I appreciate my father for getting me out of the house, because if it wasn't for him, I'd probably still be playing games inside the house right now," Johnson said with a laugh. "But it's worked out, I've enjoyed the journey I've been on with football."
 
Lyons (Ga.) Toombs County defensive lineman Jamarcus Johnson visited Clemson this past weekend and witnessed a dramatic comeback victory by the Tigers.
Clemson hasn't been mentioned often as a contender for Johnson, and the stressful week-to-week existence under coach Dabo Swinney is probably a reason why the Tigers aren't mentioned in the same breath as Texas, Miami and Georgia, among other perceived contenders.
Yet the win settled a restless fan base for now, and I'm told that there's a high probability Johnson returns to Clemson for another visit this season if the temperature turns down on Swinney's hot seat some.

A huge factor here? Nick Eason.
Eason, Clemson's defensive line coach and co-defensive coordinator, is a fellow Lyons native. So there's an important connection point there. He's been on Clemson's staff since 2022 and the Tigers have continued to produce top-tier interior defenders under his tutelage, with 2026 first-round pick Peter Woods being the most recent example.
Is Clemson a top contender here? I'd say not yet. However, the Tigers gained some traction this week, and I think they'll be in a spot to enter the mix if they can navigate the next month or so with minimal losing.
 
Back
Top