Ja'korian Newson LB with 4.2 speed.

Advertisement
Late bloomer?
You don’t automatically bloom a 4.2.
He’s not shying away from contact. It’s either poor coaching or instincts. You see Ladarius flying out there and he’s nowhere near a 4.2.
Or that’s just not an accurate time. A 4.2 linebacker is getting saban on a **** helicopter.

Advertisement

That is 4.3 running down one of the fastest RBs. I didn't see a single play of this kid walking someone down. Sure he has some quicks but I'm not seeing NFL type speed vs. average HS speed.

Advertisement
The kid plays for a 6A school in Mississippi & was actually really productive for them putting up good numbers his Junior year.

He obviously doesn't run a 4.27 40, but he's not slow on his tape, looks around the 4.6 range.

But why tf doesn't he have ANY offers, like not a single one, not even from FCS schools? You mean to tell me no MEAC or SWAC schools have seen this kid?

That's the part I don't get, how is he a supposed 4.27 40 with over 100tcks in Mississippi at what looks like pretty good height/weight & absolutely nobody is interested? The math don't add up lol

The kid plays for a 6A school in Mississippi & was actually really productive for them putting up good numbers his Junior year.

He obviously doesn't run a 4.27 40, but he's not slow on his tape, looks around the 4.6 range.

But why tf doesn't he have ANY offers, like not a single one, not even from FCS schools? You mean to tell me no MEAC or SWAC schools have seen this kid?

That's the part I don't get, how is he a supposed 4.27 40 with over 100tcks in Mississippi at what looks like pretty good height/weight & absolutely nobody is interested? The math don't add up lol
I don't think his grades are in order he has a lot of juco offers. I think he's playing out of position at the high school level you can't really see his speed on film. But if he runs anything near a 4.2 we need to give this kid a look we need speed on defense.

33 inch vertical does not correlate with a 4.2 40. Those two numbers normally test above average as vertical speaks to explosion out of the blocks... just saying.
Know what you're saying. I'm no expert on performance metrics, if that is what one might call them. The camp people do state a 4.2+, however. He didn't seem to be that extraordinary on that....was it the shuttle, going side-to-side? Seemed to be a little slow to change the direction going back the other way....of course, as I said, I'm not an expert. That test might be more relevant to a LB most of the time since he has to change direction in short space much more than go thirty or forty yards.

But, there is evidence from the video that they reported a 4.26 for him.

Advertisement
For those of you saying no way he runs a 4.2, then the camp guys are off. They didn't time right, didn't measure the distance right, or something.

That's why I posted the camp video: to at least show that there is evidence he was timed at that, no matter whether the actual timing was flawed somehow...and it might have been.

For those of you saying no way he runs a 4.2, then the camp guys are off. They didn't time right, didn't measure the distance right, or something.

That's why I posted the camp video: to at least show that there is evidence he was timed at that, no matter whether the actual timing was flawed somehow...and it might have been.
No one said he ran that in the video tho. After he ran, they just listed a time. That doesn’t mean anything.

An 8th grader in dade county has FSU bama and uga offers but a 17 year old dude in Georgia that runs a 4.2 and is a linebacker is an unknown.
Riddle me that’s sht Batman.
He's in Mississippi. The camp was in Atlanta. And I'm not trying to get him recruited. I just went out, researched him and found the video. I provided it solely for informational purposes and to enable discussion. Whether it's a valid time, I don't know. I couldn't see it in the game highlights but unless he's a RB or WR in open space and running past people downfield, or a DB (like Darrell Green) running down a fast ball carrier, I don't know I would even notice it then.

Advertisement
No one said he ran that in the video tho. After he ran, they just listed a time. That doesn’t mean anything.
Maybe. Who knows? That means they made an error or lied. I dunno. I'd like to see more times for him. The real story would be the game tape and I don't know that it showed anything exceptional. I think I've seen some highly-recruited LBs who just jumped out at me, and this kid didn't. An example of someone who jumped out at me was Justin Flowe.

I read in one of the posts that some observer said the best LBs to come out of California were Burfict, D.J. Williams, and Flowe. Well, I remember hearing from a friend, who I think heard it from another friend who was tight with coaches and even allowed into closed practices, that among the freshman LBs, Jon Vilma was better than D.J. Williams. Over the life of their UM careers, I don't think that was preposterous. When we recruited another All-World LB, Jesse Armstead, I don't know that he was heads and shoulders above any of our other terrific LBs of that time period, Mike Barrow and Darren Smith.

The point of the story is, sometimes there are players who are not so highly touted who turn out to be just as good as those that are. That's why I'm intrigured by that Camden kid, Tirek Cave or whatever his name is. Start with speed.

Maybe. Who knows? That means they made an error or lied. I dunno. I'd like to see more times for him. The real story would be the game tape and I don't know that it showed anything exceptional. I think I've seen some highly-recruited LBs who just jumped out at me, and this kid didn't. An example of someone who jumped out at me was Justin Flowe.

I read in one of the posts that some observer said the best LBs to come out of California were Burfict, D.J. Williams, and Flowe. Well, I remember hearing from a friend, who I think heard it from another friend who was tight with coaches and even allowed into closed practices, that among the freshman LBs, Jon Vilma was better than D.J. Williams. Over the life of their UM careers, I don't think that was preposterous. When we recruited another All-World LB, Jesse Armstead, I don't know that he was heads and shoulders above any of our other terrific LBs of that time period, Mike Barrow and Darren Smith.

The point of the story is, sometimes there are players who are not so highly touted who turn out to be just as good as those that are. That's why I'm intrigured by that Camden kid, Tirek Cave or whatever his name is. Start with speed.
Yeah Flowe definitely jumps out the screen, a fuggin beast. I get what you’re saying bc the best LB to never play here was Willie Williams.

4.2? He must've been timed at Virginia Tech.
True. Va Tech is in the mountains, I guess. At high elevations, there is less resistance, so everybody times at world class speed. Less gravity, so on your verticals you stay up about three or four seconds before coming down.

Rumor has it that a floater Jacory threw there in Lane Stadium back about ten years ago is getting ready to re-entry from orbit...problem is, we have nobody there now to catch it.

Also, climate change is undoubtedly a factor in some absurd times. After all, it's been established beyond doubt that the upsurge in home runs is due to global warming:

Global Warming Responsible for Increase in Home Runs

Last edited:
It’s not a typo, whoever is behind this is trying to fool people. I hate that they did this to the kid (or he did it to himself) because this stuff will cause coaches not to even watch your film. They’re busy and their jobs are on the line.

1. The timing to the thousandths
2. A 12’6” jump? No way. Everyone saw the reaction when Byron Jones did 12’4”.

Elite performances pop; you know them when you see them without stopwatches or yardsticks.
The broad jump was 10'6", 126 inches

Advertisement
Back